How to Get Missing Guide Data for OTA Subchannels Like MeTV, Comet, Real America’s Voice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Zbrannigan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2022
Oklahoma
I have heard that Dish provides guide data for subchannels for people in at least some markets. Should I be able to convince them to provide it in my smaller market? I only get guide data for major networks. It seems like if the data is already there, all they would have to do is add my RF and PSIP info to their list.

PS. I called Dish, but their tech and his supervisor INSISTED that the guide data for OTA channels comes OTA. I pointed out that on my TV, my guide data for OTA channels only goes out less than 24hrs. But on my Dish receiver, same channel guide data goes out a week. After 15min of an unstoppable force trying to move an immovable object, I DID convince him to post a thread to confirm it on his internal support forum though. I am even doubting myself now.

I have heard that Dish provides guide data for subchannels for people in at least some markets. Should I be able to convince them to provide it in my smaller market? I only get guide data for major networks. It seems like if the data is already there, all they would have to do is add my RF and PSIP info to their list.

PS. I called Dish, but their tech and his supervisor INSISTED that the guide data for OTA channels comes OTA. I pointed out that on my TV, my guide data for OTA channels only goes out less than 24hrs. But on my Dish receiver, same channel guide data goes out a week. After 15min of an unstoppable force trying to move an immovable object, I DID convince him to post a thread to confirm it on his internal support forum though. I am even doubting myself now.
A) Dish refuses to use PSIP (OTA guide data) for OTA channels. Depending on who you ask here, it would be "too expensive" or "too difficult" for Dish to integrate (despite the $100 TV from Walmart having the technology).
B) I doubt you would be able to convince Dish to add guide data for non-satellite delivered channels. It can't hurt to ask, but the answer will probably be "no".

Those of us who use OTA have the same problem. There are some web sites that offer free programming guide. I use Titantv.com with browsers. IPhone app is available.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Charlie is not going to spend one dime on OTA period...The OTA modules were junk from the beginning..I use 2 very high end televes antennas with the dual OTA modules and the signal strength drops from 85 direct to the tv to a 77 in the dish receiver...Charlie is all about his outdated phone system...The flop with the way behind hopper plus shows that they don't care anymore about being top in the industry

• Sad
Reactions: TheLip and TheKrell
Charlie is not going to spend one dime on OTA period...The OTA modules were junk from the beginning..I use 2 very high end televes antennas with the dual OTA modules and the signal strength drops from 85 direct to the tv to a 77 in the dish receiver...Charlie is all about his outdated phone system...The flop with the way behind hopper plus shows that they don't care anymore about being top in the industry

It’s great that Dish has an OTA module. I think it would keep a lot of people onboard if the guide data would get sorted. People wouldn’t want to give up Dish because they wouldn’t want to give up recording OTA. Most probably don’t know about TiVo.

My dual OTA tuner performs extremely close to my 2019 LG OLED tuner as far as reception goes. I don’t think it is fair to compare the reported signal strength numbers from different tuners because some tuners are doing some funny business with gain inside them. Also, since it is a dual tuner, I would think the signal is getting split.

Reactions: MrDRC and TheKrell
I don’t think the tuners are great but they’re good enough. I get locals OTA and of course I wish there was better guide data but again, it’s not great but good enough. They’re comparable with all the built in tuners I’ve tested. I haven’t run across any I would consider great.

My guide data only runs out 24 hours too.

Reactions: TheKrell