How to get more traffic to this site.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

PBHDinSD

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
San Diego
Guys,

First this a great forum. Finding it on the web may be a problem.

I found this site on a whim. Meaning I did a search for Voom and ESPN and on the 3rd page of the search I got to this site.

I took a look at your source HTML and it does not seem to have any meta-tag (keywords) that search engines use to find websites.

I would have loved to find this site before I bought my service but you guys did not come up on the search engine radar.

I suggest adding some meta-tags to your home page.

A starting list could be Satellite, Dish, Direct, TV, Voom, High Definition, HD, HDTV, service, DBS, comparison, price, cost, programming, forum, help, echostar, Over, air, OTA, resolution, 1080i, 720p, DVI, 480p, component etc...

Just a thought.

Also would you be able to put this document in the form of a web page http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=827 using the meta-tags above.People new to satillite and to HD are in bad need of this info.

I believe this will increase your web-page traffic considerably.

Thanks
Pat

I found the Meta- tag keywords. I missed them the first time. Sorry.

Here they are:

"satellite forum, dbs forum, Dish Network Forum, DirecTV forum, Direct tv forum, VOOM forum, XM forum, sirius forum, serious forum, satellite, echostar, dish network, DirecTV, 921, 721, 811, hdtv, greczkowski, satelliteguys, dbstalk, dbsforums, avsforum, Charlie Chat, dss, satellite guys, satellite guy, satellite deals, dishstore, dishstore.net, rumors, hdtv, dish"

Recommend adding "VOOM, information, comparison, forum, high, definition, HD, advice, how, to, 480p, 1080i, 720p, 1080p, TV, cable, direct, help, news, DVI, component"

Also HDTV is listed twice

What about 'CABLE PIG'?? LOL

Or 522, 6000, 301, 111, 2700, SkyReport, SkyAngel, C-band, KU, BUD, and even common mis-spellings of words. like sattelite. Most are limited to 100 keywords and alphabetizing helps.

Search engine ranking is so arbitrary anyway. There are some engines that are not looking at meta-tags at all now.

Google has their own way of determining rank that is a combination of meta-tags, front page content, and cross-links from other sites. So meta-tag loading would have little effect on ranking in that case.

The long and short is that there is no foolproof way to come up on a first page search result other than PAID sponsored links. Even then as an end user, I tend to stay away from paid links because they are usually trying to sell me something.

Then you have to re-submit to search engines periodically and also put a 'robots.txt" file in your html directory so the search engine knows what pages you want to include.

Scott is doing a great job with administering a site that isn't even a year old. I commend him with the progress and growth in the short time SatelliteGuys.US has been around. :)

Another thing that you may or may not have realized in your suggestion of keywords is that there is another meta tag called DESCRIPTION.

This is usually what the search engine gives as an overview to the site. As long as you are using a bunch of satellite keywords, you might as well inclued some of them in your DESCRIPTION meta also. Most search engines limit the description text unless you change your search properties to advanced. Get your point across in the first 150 characters.

If you have no meta-description, then the search engine builds one from the first few lines of text on the home page.

There are many more tips/tricks, but unless you do HTML alot, there is no way to cover all the bases. Even then, it is easy to overlook things.

I'm sure Scott appreciates the tips though.

I do have tags on the main SatelliteGuys Homepage. :)

And we are actually highly ranked on most search engines. :)

I do noeed to add the meta stuff to the rest of the pages (although I know engines like google does not crawl those because we have a text archive for the robots to use instead. :)

I have searched for different satellite terms and noticed satelliteguys.us high up on the search results lately. They tend to go to a particular forum that the particular searched term was discussed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts