How to get rid of Spanish language only ads?

olds403

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
michigan
Is it possible to get rid of Spanish language only ads on my Dish network service. We are seeing random Spanish only ads on regular programming and also during on-demand content. No one in my house speaks Spanish and it is really annoying. Thanks for any suggestions.

Reactions: DJ Lon
That's strange. You're getting Spanish only ads in Michigan. I live in Texas where a third of the population probably speaks Spanish and I don't get any.

I don't think it is based on region. My guess is Dish decides to do that if they think Spanish speaking audience is watching the program. It happened often with Fox Soccer channel before I changed my pack.

Is it possible to get rid of Spanish language only ads on my Dish network service. We are seeing random Spanish only ads on regular programming and also during on-demand content. No one in my house speaks Spanish and it is really annoying. Thanks for any suggestions.

I don’t know if this is the problem but have you checked that the Preferred Audio Language under the Secondary Audio Settings is English.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: sam_gordon
I deal with this too (happens on satellite channels like CNN, MSNBC, TBS, BBC America, etc.) and it also happens to me on streaming services like Pluto and Stirr

So far I have seen a couple of them on cable channels (not local channels) and then we started seeing them on On-Demand content watched through the Hopper. The ads seen on-demand have been Quicken Loans ads, which is a michigan based company. There does not seem to be a pattern to it. I will check the settings on the Hopper but the ads seem to be created with Spanish language with English subtitles although not all the ads have subtitles (Bustelo - I think that is the name - Coffee)

If you go to Settings, make sure the SAP is set to English

I had encountered this a year or so ago.
I'm in Mesa AZ.

These are 'inserted' replacement ads.
They are not from the channel you are tuned to.
Dish inserts/overlays a certain number of 'targeted' market based ads in place of the channels ads.
In time the spanish language versions of ads filtered out.

Part of why nearly all my viewing is delayed at least enough to skip commercials.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I had encountered this a year or so ago.
I'm in Mesa AZ.

These are 'inserted' replacement ads.
They are not from the channel you are tuned to.
Dish inserts/overlays a certain number of 'targeted' market based ads in place of the channels ads.
In time the spanish language versions of ads filtered out.

Part of why nearly all my viewing is delayed at least enough to skip commercials.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the SatelliteGuys app!
I normally DVR any show that I watch regularly (as I prefer skipping them as well) but the wife suggested something new On-Demand and that is when the worst of it started a few days ago.

Well I checked and the SAP was already set to English, I selected it again and saved just in case but not confident that was the problem. I hope they go away like they did for KaptainRandom in Arizona.

Reactions: HipKat
IMHO, the ads are probably targeted at "Hispanic" names on the account and any viewing of Spanish Language channels on Dish. The problem is that there are many names and surnames that people don't realize are from Spain (the colonial European power) that are either in their original form or altered to some degree. In fact many names have their origins in the Ancient Mediterranean countries of Greece, and the Moorish/Middle Eastern/North Africa, etc. region that are also considered "Hispanic" due to Spain's (all these different cultures having mixed--as in conjugal relations) arrival in the New World and bringing all that ancient mixing with them. There are even a few surnames that are considered by most of us as being "Hispanic" but can be surprisingly common in Ireland, as one example because in ancient times migration due to conquests (like the Romans of Britain) and conjugal relations.

My point is that I believe Dish is targeting "Hispanic" names matched from a database but is reaching both Hispanics who do not care for any Spanish Language TV and "non-Hispanics" who don't realize they have a surname with roots going back to Europe and the Mediterranean and Africa, that are now considered "Hispanic" because those names can be found in Mexico, Central and South America after the arrival of the Europeans.

BTW, I have fallen victim to this, as well, although for me it is not ads, but promotions for Spanish language content, and it is annoying because it has absolutely NO INTEREST to me whatsoever. I do subscribe to French TV, however. Also, I have no clue how to stop it.

IMHO, the ads are probably targeted at "Hispanic" names on the account and any viewing of Spanish Language channels on Dish. The problem is that there are many names and surnames that people don't realize are from Spain (the colonial European power) that are either in their original form or altered to some degree. In fact many names have their origins in the Ancient Mediterranean countries of Greece, and the Moorish/Middle Eastern/North Africa, etc. region that are also considered "Hispanic" due to Spain's (all these different cultures having mixed--as in conjugal relations) arrival in the New World and bringing all that ancient mixing with them. There are even a few surnames that are considered by most of us as being "Hispanic" but can be surprisingly common in Ireland, as one example because in ancient times migration due to conquests (like the Romans of Britain) and conjugal relations.

My point is that I believe Dish is targeting "Hispanic" names matched from a database but is reaching both Hispanics who do not care for any Spanish Language TV and "non-Hispanics" who don't realize they have a surname with roots going back to Europe and the Mediterranean and Africa, that are now considered "Hispanic" because those names can be found in Mexico, Central and South America after the arrival of the Europeans.

BTW, I have fallen victim to this, as well, although for me it is not ads, but promotions for Spanish language content, and it is annoying because it has absolutely NO INTEREST to me whatsoever. I do subscribe to French TV, however. Also, I have no clue how to stop it.
Neither my first or last name is spanish in origin, not a single hispanic in my entire family and my name (not wife's and she isn't hispanic either) is the only name on the account. My heritage is from England on my dads side and Poland on my mom's side so I am not buying that. I would be more likely to believe that they are just putting out more Spanish language only ads due to all the immigration issues going on today. Either way I hope is goes away as I cannot DVR every show that we watch so I won't always be able to skip them.

In NJ there was very little if any spanish AD sort of being on spanish channel, but soon as moved to NC, wilmington I start geting bunch spanish ads on almost ever channel, which rather annoying,

Reactions: olds403
I can't stand it any more !!!!!!! I live in Holyoke, Mass. and it is know as "little Puerto Rican " ! I called the company and complained to them that they should also say it in German, French, Italian, Japanese, Polish, etc..... When my folks came to this country no one changed the language to FRENCH ?!?! They had to go to school at night to learn ENGLISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The company got back to me but didn't understand my point of what I wanted him to do ?!!?!?
HEY ! ? ! STOP THE COMMERCIALS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't stand it any more !!!!!!! I live in Holyoke, Mass. and it is know as "little Puerto Rican " ! I called the company and complained to them that they should also say it in German, French, Italian, Japanese, Polish, etc..... When my folks came to this country no one changed the language to FRENCH ?!?! They had to go to school at night to learn ENGLISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The company got back to me but didn't understand my point of what I wanted him to do ?!!?!?
HEY ! ? ! STOP THE COMMERCIALS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't understand what you want them to do. Stop the commercials? Not going to happen. Of course, I don't understand what company you called.

Bottom line, a company is trying to reach more customers. They feel they can do so by having Spanish only ads. Could be right, could be wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)