How to get started

gtaff

Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
ga
I have heard about Free to Air but know nothing about it. Hw in the world do you get into it and get what you need for that. I have about had it with Direct and spending all this money every month with no real service. What are my options

it depends on what kind of programming you really watch the most. do not expect to see most cable/satellite specialty channels available since they are mostly encrypted. if you give us more details on your needs then we will help you better. in general channels available are either ethnics , religious, or from far away countries that want to catter to their countryman in NA. there are a few US networks affiliates and some specialty channels available but those are few , check The List link at the top of this page or lyngsat.com for more info. I take it you live in Georgia so in if in a big city check your yellowpages for your local satellite or hobby or electronis equipment dealer they will give you more details. you can also check the sponsors websites at the top of this pages for more info on equipment costs but it all boils down to your particular needs realted to your tv viewing habits (who knows maybe an OTA UHF antenna is even enough for you if yopu live in a major city).

In general the smallest system consists of a small 90 cm Dish for Ku band , its LNBF and the digital IRD or sat receiver , equipment costs around 200 USD for a fixed system aimed to 1 or a few closeby sats, for all sats reception you need a small motor that costs around 70 USD. you could by used equipment from ebay or the likes to lower equipment costs.

yeah im in the same boat except i dont mind paying for Directv.. Long story short im fed up with Dish Network in my Area (California). I want to switch to Directv but my inlaws want/need the Portuguese Channel RTP which only Dishnetwork carries. So now im trying to figure out a way to switch to Directv and still get the Portuguese channel RTP

RTP is easy. Any cheap FTA receiver should do the job. Dish size would depend on the signal strength of Galaxy 19 in California, but could be as small as 30 inches. Any standard linear LNB will work.

After having free to air after 7 years, I can say I wouldn't live without it. My mom lives with me and has her own fta system. In addition she has Directv HD. There are two receivers in the house so I do occasionally use the directv receiver mainly for the T101 HD channel. My movie channels come from my c band dish on a 4Dtv with programming provided by www.programming-center.net

I hadn't checked into what Dish or cable costs lately...my folks just moved and ended up getting cable..Ouch! TWC was just under $60 a month....I glad I use FTA and OTA
Blind

You are very welcome Radar. Apparently I was not in the mood for long speeches and political tirades, lol

HD FAN,

How does this sound?......

IS FTA RIGHT FOR ME?(A description and guidance discussion inspired by HD FAN)

The answer to this question depends upon what kind of programming you desire to watch the most.

Do not expect to find movie channels or cable and specialty channels available here as those are mostly encrypted services and require a pay subscription.

In general, the channels that are available are primarily ethnical based, catering to specific countries or religions, some educational services or informative channels are available and a few novelty channels. The really good channels are dispersed over the various satellites located across the horizon. Some are only accessible in specific areas.

There is some really great programming available to those who opt to install a motorized system or a multi-dish system. It is almost required that you cover more than one satellite to obtain the most FTA opportunities (channels) that are available as there isn’t just one satellite that will satisfy everyone’s taste or pleasure in one package.

If you are just out to view TV for pleasure, you should investigate the OTA channels that are accessible in your location first. These may be all that is needed for you without subscription fees. If you don’t mind some extra work and expense, you can delve into the hobby of FTA satellite TV.

This whole notion of FTA is just a hobby, it is not meant to be a replacement for Dish Network or DirecTV or any other subscription service. You must understand that before you begin, otherwise you may be disappointed.

In general, the system you set up should consist of at least a 90cm dish reflector for Ku band satellites, a trusted IRD / STB or receiver (preferably with blind scan capabilities).

Equipment costs may run near $200. For advanced Ku only systems, you could spend $400 to $1000 if you have a mind to. The price of the receiver is the most variable component. The cost of a H-H motor for a Ku band system may run from $70 to $120, but the receiver cost may vary between $50 and $500.

The cable and switches you might want are all peripheral support equipment. Their cost is minimal compared to the major components required… Which are the receiver, the dish, the LNBF (and the motor, if desired). I personally recommend a motor.

If you take some time, and select some good components, you can set yourself up with a FTA system that beats many cable company’s offerings with the only cost to you being the equipment.

If you appreciate the channels available, it is a first time and once only cost for the system and setup, with no subscription fees.

RADAR

I thought your description was pretty straight forward and excellent, but I wanted to add my own "twist" to it. Hope you don't mind.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)