How to get upgraded to SWM without using E-Bay

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

MULTI-TECH

Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Northeast
Hey all I'm new here but have read the posts on and off for about a year or so.I'm a HSP Technician...I know "poor me". I'm a good one or at least when I can be.(When time allows).Us HSP tech kinda got a bad rap on this site I've noticed...just so you all know there are good ones just more bad ones than good I guess.

Introductions aside, I've notice some of you asking how an existing customer would go about getting converted over to SWM. Some of you seem to have hit the brick wall and others have been advised to buy the equipment and self install through E-Bay.Not a bad Idea.Complicated to most though.I just got an E-mail in regards to this.Apparently as a technician I can convert existing customers to SWM using a "custom work charge".Obviously you'd need to call d*tv for an upgrade order date to upgrade any existing recievers in your home that are not SWM compatible.As for the SWM LNB and splitter you'd pay the HSP--(the company contracted by directv to install and service your system)-- at time of installation over the phone with a check or credit card.My HSP has me charge $120.00 to convert your system and deliver the equipment.Once again paid for at time of installation over the phone....Never give money to technicians for work performed unless your on of those awesome customers who tip....:) As a tech SWM has been a gift from god let me tell you.I'm also hearing that soon D*TV recievers will have built in wireless phone so that if one of your recivers have a phone line connected so will all the others(wirelessly).Just sucks that all this new cool stuff is only free to new customers.Ahh Capitalism !

Been fun blogging.read ya'll later

Hey Man i'm also a hsp tech and i've been thru the same but my company won't even do that to switch someone over to a swm system.
But i have seen them go into movers connect's few and far between.
this is what the customer has told me they had to do a ton of b@@ching and arguing with dtv to get it.We even had one as the customer would have been unservicable unless dtv approved them for a swm. but the best bet is to do it your self its always easier 2 run second lines if your doing it in your own home.
less problems and easier. but on a new install the swm is a dream..

I am finally getting a DVR. All my cables are in the walls. Because of the construction of my home, running a second line to my living room is a nightmare (already have two, the second is for OTA). I tried to get them to upgrade me to the SWM. The story I was told each time I contacted them (six times, trying to wear them down) was they (the CSR) cannot request it. When a order is placed, the 'system' decides what additional equipment is needed to do the job. They could neither confirm or deny if I would be converted. I also wanted to ensure I'd get a AM-21, same story.
So, I ordered a SWM-8. I have only to recievers in my home so there was no need for a splitter. When the installer comes, if he is not able to supply the SWM, I have my own to install. LOL, he will be a happy camper, not having to run that second line! I opted for the SWM-8 instead of a SWM LND due to reviews I have heard about the cold affecting the LNB. I bought a SWM-8 over the SWM-5 because of the greater flexibility for a reasonable incremental increase in price. If I ever want to add more recievers, a cheap splitter is all I'll need. If the tech has the SWM, I'll simply return the one I bought.

FYI, I first tried to purchase it through Solid Signal, I could never get anyone on the phone or return emails. I tried Saduon, same thing. I got mine through Weakness. The guy I spoke to was knowledgable and accomodating. LOL, they were cheaper too!

Interesting... but quite frankly I would rather send $200 to someone on eBay than send $0.01 to an HSP.

1 cent may go to the hsp but the custom work puts extra money in the installers pocket (me).You'd be so lucky if I rolled up on your house.I'm there to accomidate you and put money in my pocket as a result of good hard clean work that I take pride in....HSP or no HSP.You must be a retailer.....or work for one.

"I am finally getting a DVR. All my cables are in the walls. Because of the construction of my home, running a second line to my living room is a nightmare (already have two, the second is for OTA). I tried to get them to upgrade me to the SWM. The story I was told each time I contacted them (six times, trying to wear them down) was they (the CSR) cannot request it. When a order is placed, the 'system' decides what additional equipment is needed to do the job. They could neither confirm or deny if I would be converted. I also wanted to ensure I'd get a AM-21, same story.
So, I ordered a SWM-8. I have only to recievers in my home so there was no need for a splitter. When the installer comes, if he is not able to supply the SWM, I have my own to install. LOL, he will be a happy camper, not having to run that second line! I opted for the SWM-8 instead of a SWM LND due to reviews I have heard about the cold affecting the LNB. I bought a SWM-8 over the SWM-5 because of the greater flexibility for a reasonable incremental increase in price. If I ever want to add more recievers, a cheap splitter is all I'll need. If the tech has the SWM, I'll simply return the one I bought."

Amazing what they put there customers though, sometimes it pays to learn about what makes these things tic so you can self upgrade ans service when you need.Not everyones capable, but installing this stuff is fairly simple with the right tools.I like how they could neither confirm or deny .I think sometimes D*TV thinks they are big brother.Maybe they are?In my market its all swm5 lnb's slightly further north are swm 3's down here we use the swm 3 if we cant get the 119 sat because of trees.We always use either a 1x4 or a 1x8 with a power inserter.

the cold only affects the WNC SWM lnbs..the eagle aspen swm lnbs are good to go in the cold....We were the crash test dummy's up here in maine on that defect.Just thought I'd add that

the cold only affects the WNC SWM lnbs..the eagle aspen swm lnbs are good to go in the cold....

This is why I joined this site & makes me feel for the thousands who are stuck with the WNC SWM & have no clue what's going on. I noticed a few quality installers here went back to all the WNC installs & changed the units (or at the very least informed the customer help was coming).

"I am finally getting a DVR. All my cables are in the walls. Because of the construction of my home, running a second line to my living room is a nightmare (already have two, the second is for OTA). I tried to get them to upgrade me to the SWM. The story I was told each time I contacted them (six times, trying to wear them down) was they (the CSR) cannot request it. When a order is placed, the 'system' decides what additional equipment is needed to do the job. They could neither confirm or deny if I would be converted. I also wanted to ensure I'd get a AM-21, same story.
So, I ordered a SWM-8. I have only to recievers in my home so there was no need for a splitter. When the installer comes, if he is not able to supply the SWM, I have my own to install. LOL, he will be a happy camper, not having to run that second line! I opted for the SWM-8 instead of a SWM LND due to reviews I have heard about the cold affecting the LNB. I bought a SWM-8 over the SWM-5 because of the greater flexibility for a reasonable incremental increase in price. If I ever want to add more recievers, a cheap splitter is all I'll need. If the tech has the SWM, I'll simply return the one I bought."

Amazing what they put there customers though, sometimes it pays to learn about what makes these things tic so you can self upgrade ans service when you need.Not everyones capable, but installing this stuff is fairly simple with the right tools.I like how they could neither confirm or deny .I think sometimes D*TV thinks they are big brother.Maybe they are?In my market its all swm5 lnb's slightly further north are swm 3's down here we use the swm 3 if we cant get the 119 sat because of trees.We always use either a 1x4 or a 1x8 with a power inserter.

I did not get a 1X4 or 1X8 because I have only two recievers and the SWM-8 has two outputs. Being each part is on my dime, there was no reason to spend more if I did not have to have the ports.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts