How to handle sickness at work (needing time off), etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I beleive in the state of florida not sure if its nation wide, but when you call in sick your employer must let you stay home without fear of losing your job (up to X days) and they are not allowed to even ask you why. (because its patient doctor privileged) My employer allows up to 3 days without a doctors note, (basicically just a paper from a doctor thats an absentee excuse paper) and then how ever many days the doctor puts on the paper is how long you get off.

Is this what you were referring to steven?

HB 763 - Mandatory Employee Paid Sick Leave

Notice it died in committee on May 4th 2007.

I'll do more research on this but to date I found no law that regulates sick leave in Florida.

The HIPAA law requires a doctor have your permission to disclose your health issues with a 3rd party. However, I don't think this prevents an employer from asking YOU what your health issues are. In fact, he may need to know this for proper job qualification requirements. The employer would not be punished for asking you or your doctor but the doctor may be in violation for answering the questions without your specific permission of disclosure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)