How to help VOOM

Ti-maniac

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
You know, if VOOM only has 40,000 subs then you have to ask why? And then, since we love the service so much, how can we help to keep VOOM. Think about how bad it would be if we lost VOOM.

My theory as to why there are only 40,000 subs has several points:

1. Bad satellite location -- its hard to get it for a lot of people
2. Not alot of people have HD TVs yet -- why would anyone with a HD TV set not want VOOM. Are there actually people with HDTVs that don't have an HD STB? What are the stats for the following:
a. HD set and no HD receiver​
b. HD set and OTA only​
c. HD set and D* or E* or HD cable box and​
d. VOOM (of course we know the answer to this)​
My guess would be that OTA is probably most popular.
3. Programming - no sports really like D*
4. Cost - $100 per month VaVaVoom is excessive for most
5. Lazy -- people don't feel like switching from the others

OK, I am sure there are other theories, but let's move on to how to help VOOM. I have the following suggestions:
1. I am telling all of my friends about it. Yet no one has it yet. My friend Tony falls into category 5, lazy, does not care enough.
2. Can't think of any other ideas to help -- but I can think of some ideas as to how to improve VOOM to make it more attractive:
a. Significantly improve sports channels - mimic D* - probably not possible to do ST but you could do --​
b. get the networks - ABC especially to start​
c. Start novel services like - video on demand -- like the cable companies. I tried this at my brother's house on cable and thought is was fantastic -- some would say of course this takes too much bandwidth and is unrealistic -- but it can be done.​
d. get the PVR as soon as possible -- stop messing around, this would probably cause a major increase in subscribership​
e. provide a 1394 800 port or two -- really would get a lot of new subs - a low cost, low risk upgrade​

Well just some thoughts, which have all been beaten to death elsewhere.

I've thought about this a lot since May... I think things like DVR, more content, more PQ, sweeten the deal, it isn't what makes people commit.

Of course there's monthly cost, but mainly I think:

Locals - Multi-room deals

is what needs to be handled correctly to get people's heads to turn. 100% reception of digital quality locals and locals in HD, through whatever medium is cheaper (ota for metro areas? MVDDS for others? Over sat distant network feeds for those that do not qualify?)

f. Improve PQ across the board. I won't recommend Voom to anyone until they have their PQ issues fixed.

They also need tiered packaging, reduced cost on Plus Packs and discounts for multiple Plus Packs without going all the way to VaVaVoom.

Ti-maniac said:
c. Start novel services like - video on demand -- like the cable companies. I tried this at my brother's house on cable and thought is was fantastic -- some would say of course this takes too much bandwidth and is unrealistic -- but it can be done.
Thats an insane waste of HD bandwidth. And its exactly the reason why many cable companies have no bandwidth left.

If VOOM was properly marketed from the beginning (i.e. displayed in Best Buy or Circuit City), they would have at least a half million subs right now. VOOM would also have helped drive the sell of HDTV's if it were displayed properly in these establishments.
End of story!!! :)

I think the problem, at least in my area, is the lack of VOOM to properly handle the OTA antenna installation. If they are using local installers then those installers should have been trained in the OTA issues for each area. For example, in my area, the OTA's come in on UHF and on VHF channel 12. Voom should have known that a unidirectional UHF antenna and a small "cut" directional antenna for VHF 12 should be installed. Instead, they started people with only a UHF antenna (so no channel 12 at all) and then upgrade to a giant VHF/UHF monstrosity that wastes VOOMS money and upsets peoples wives. The FCC says that most households should be able to receive their OTA channels with the proper antenna but I would think that most VOOM customers that have left could not due to a bad install.

jnardone said:
For example, in my area, the OTA's come in on UHF and on VHF channel 12.
Good point, and it's only going to get worse when Analog goes bye-bye since the broadcasters have the option of putting the signal out on their original VHF frequency if they wish. :eek: :no How many people will have to install a VHF antenna then? :( I know I will, since at least one station is going back to VHF (channel 8, KGW).

Ti-maniac said:
Are there actually people with HDTVs that don't have an HD STB?

YES! There are LOTS of people with HD sets who watch only SDTV. I know several, and I am meeting more weekly. They are just as happy as can be watching DVDs at 480P and don't seem to know what they are missing. Most of them have 4:3 sized sets also.

--Dan

My brother in law just bought a new set. He would get Voom if he could get locals. He is in a bad area and doesn't get any OTA channels. Right now he and my sister just love it for DVDs. He's blown away with Voom every time he comes over. Alas, no locals so no Voom for them.

OTA Availablity

According to this web site:

http://www.checkhd.com/press/DTVTransitionReports.aspx

75 % of american households can receive at least 4 OTA channels and if you look at the map it shows a nationwide digital OTA availability area that seems to match VOOM satellite coverage area.

If VOOM could do the OTA installations right then most people would receive their OTA channels.

dankgus said:
YES! There are LOTS of people with HD sets who watch only SDTV. I know several, and I am meeting more weekly. They are just as happy as can be watching DVDs at 480P and don't seem to know what they are missing. Most of them have 4:3 sized sets also.

--Dan

For a long time I have had a WS HDTV. I watched my 500+ DVDs in glorious progressive scan. Wouldn't have it any other way. :D

I can't help Voom because right now I wouldn't recommend Voom to anybody unless they already have a good sat/cable provider and don't mind spending more money to get every additional HD channel they can, and I know nobody like that. Voom's problems? No locals (OTA is hit and miss), missing some prominent channels (Food, HGTV, FSN), no HDnet or InHD, the 2 most well known HD networks, not to mention cust. serv. issues (I don't want to hear people complaining to me when Voom billing screws them up). I'm just hanging on hoping for better things, but I'm getting really impatient now.

fredramsey said:
For a long time I have had a WS HDTV. I watched my 500+ DVDs in glorious progressive scan. Wouldn't have it any other way. :D

Until you watch the same movie in glorious 1080i and then you go DAMNIT WHERE'S MY FREAKING RECORDER?!?!??!?!

Dvlos said:
Until you watch the same movie in glorious 1080i and then you go DAMNIT WHERE'S MY FREAKING RECORDER?!?!??!?!
Exactly! DVD's have taken a backseat to HD movies at my house and I have quite an extensive collection and, for some reason, keep buying them! Hello, my name is Darrell, and I'm a DVD Addict. :D

All good suggestions, guys. As for me I recommended VOOM to 5 friends. Breakdown is as follows: (all had HDTV's) 1 could not get it due to Satellite Position; 1 did subscribe and loves it. 1 can't put up antenna for locals due to restrictions, 2 undecided. (or ambivalent) Does anyone know the number of HDTV's owned by now? I heard an estimate of 1 million sets.

I think it's way more than a million, HDTV CONNECTED sets that's a different story...

First Post but A Good One...

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and new to Voom also. I am not, however, new to electronics, sat, digital, analog, etc. Have been a CET electronics tech for almost 22 yrs and have worked for Motorola (2way division) and Nextel in the past (for quite some time...ugh!!) Anyway, enough about me...lets get to Voom....

So I am to assume, someone from Voom will at some point read this forum? Good!

1. The local installers need to have a specific Voom training course or the course needs to be better. My installer drove from 200 miles away, and forgot his 8ft pipe/pole to mount the dish. This among other things, is very irritating to the consumer...inadequate! If you Voom guys need someone to install the central South Carolina area, email me...

2. Your menu is childish in appearance and could really do away with all the "fluff" and get down to business. Kinda like turning off all the crap on Windows-XP one day after you install it..

3. Buggy firmware is your worst enemy. Make sure the damn thing works before you box it or joe blow, who can barely stand his lawn-mower that sometimes won't start until the 3rd pull, will just toss this receiver out, call his credit card company, and go back to cable.

4. Find some un-boring HD content, add some more cable favorites(like VH1 classics, CMT, HGTV), lower your price a bit, come out with a better plan than just the 2 we were told about, and have a better learning remote, and this may just go somewhere.....

Peace!

Lane ~~~ Sitting on the fence overlooking my new Voom and Time-Warner Digital Cable.....

:)

Tvlman said:
All good suggestions, guys. As for me I recommended VOOM to 5 friends. Breakdown is as follows: (all had HDTV's) 1 could not get it due to Satellite Position; 1 did subscribe and loves it. 1 can't put up antenna for locals due to restrictions, 2 undecided. (or ambivalent) Does anyone know the number of HDTV's owned by now? I heard an estimate of 1 million sets.

Check the FCC rules. No one, but NO ONE can restrict you putting up a small dish, and I would hope that would extend to a small OTA antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts