How to hook up another receiver

mlangbau

Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
I am usually pretty handy with these things but not quite understanding what to do. Dish wants another $150 to do this and I'm trying to avoid the price.

I have one line coming out of my dish which is then split. One runs straight to TV #2 controlled by UHF remote.

2nd line runs to a DP02 splitter. One side runs to a separator and then in to each of 2 satellite inputs on back of my 625 receiver. 2nd line runs from separator to back of 625 receiver in the home distribution section of TV#2 which is labeled channel 21-69 out.

What I would like to do is hook up another simple receiver (for slingbox use), which is independent of the 625 receiver.

Questions:
1. How would I accomplish the wiring.
2. What is the easiest way to acquire a simple box (Is EBAy an option and how would I then get the smart card). Overseas Call center of DISH has been absolutely no help!!

thanks

Sounds like you have a Dish Pro Twin lnb and one dual tuner. If that's the case, there's a second output in the LNB that you can use for the second receiver. You'll need a cable run from the LNB to the receiver. Run check switch and report back the results to make sure you have a DPP Twin. Menu, 6, 1, 1, Check switch.

Dish Network has some kind of promotion right now where you can get a 510 DVR for $29.00. Search the forum and you'll find it.

Ran check switch.
Both satellite inputs show DPP twin with separator.

For a novice like me....how do I get to the LNB. Mine says DP plus.
Thanks

Get up next to the dish. There's a screw at the end of the y-bracket. Unscrew it. The LNB slides out. Run the new coax through the arm and screw it onto the second output (left side) of the LNB, then replace the LNB.

For a novice like me....how do I get to the LNB.
Depending on where the dish is located, you might need a ladder. ;)

1. You need a single length of quality RG6 cable that will reach all the way from the dish to the room where you plan on adding the receiver. Unless you have specialized tooling, I would not recommend trying to roll your own. Do not use the tool-less connectors.

2. Carefully remove the LNB from the dish arm (there are two screws on the bottom).

3. Run one end of the cable up through the dish arm and connect it to the LNB connector adjacent to the existing cable and paying close attention to how the existing cable is looped and routed.

4. Carefully reinstall the LNB and check your loops.

5. Run the other end of the cable all the way to the new location.

One of the oft-neglected aspects of running cable is that you should not put any bends in the cable that are tighter than about 3" in radius (6" loop). Some cables offer a tighter radius, but 3" is usually safe. Always use rigid and appropriately sized cable clips to secure the cable. Staples may compromise the cable's performance.

One more question..I think i know the answer already but here goes:
Can I split one of the existing lines...either the one coming into the house or one of the two coming out of the separator

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)