Linkbox How to Hook up Directv and FTA to One TV

sidekick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Port Angeles, Washington
Hi guys, I just got my new Linkbox receiver and Stab HH90 motor and should have my dish on Friday. It’s been a long time since I did the FTA thing and I have a question. How do I hook up the TV so I can have Directv and FTA through one TV? Is there a special switch I need to get? Like I said, it’s been a long time and could use the help. Thanks!

Hi guys, I just got my new Linkbox receiver and Stab HH90 motor and should have my dish on Friday. It’s been a long time since I did the FTA thing and I have a question. How do I hook up the TV so I can have Directv and FTA through one TV? Is there a special switch I need to get? Like I said, it’s been a long time and could use the help. Thanks!
What do you have for a TV?
Simple answer is put direct on one input and the fta on another.

Reactions: danristheman
That would be simple, but what I’m wondering is if Is it possible to have both cables (one from the FTA satellite and one from The Directv satellite) go to a splitter where only one cable is going to the tv and then split again to go to each receiver? I have Directv going to 5 rooms and would like to have FTA going to two of the rooms. I’m trying to think of a way of doing that without running a second set of cables for the FTA signal. FYI, i have a cable box in the garage where all of the cables for TV and internet are. From there, they go to each room. FyI have Samsung TV’s in all of the rooms.

Last edited:
It sounds like you need to tell us a lot more detail about where you're starting. The biggest gap is how many receivers of each type you plan to have.

Are you sending one modulated channel across the network or do you have a DIRECTV receiver for each TV?

If you're using the cable for transport of an IF signal to each room, then you're going to have to modulate the FTA signal(s) for the reason Titanium noted. It would be both expensive to set up and complicated to use.

You will need to run separate coax for FTA. FTA and DirecTV use the same frequencies to travel through the coax and some of the same switching protocols, so they cannot be combined on the same coax.

If I put the FTA and Directv on one cable, would I have a problem if I’m only using one or the other (I.e. Directv or FTA?) I’m not planning on using both at the same time. I’m trying to get away from having to have two coax cables to the two rooms where I’m planning on watching both Directv and FTA (but not at the same time).

It sounds like you need to tell us a lot more detail about where you're starting. The biggest gap is how many receivers of each type you plan to have.

Are you sending one modulated channel across the network or do you have a DIRECTV receiver for each TV?

If you're using the cable for transport of an IF signal to each room, then you're going to have to modulate the FTA signal(s) for the reason Titanium noted. It would be both expensive to set up and complicated to use.

I have a Directv receiver for each room that has Directv. I will have a receiver for each room that has FTA

Despite that you don't want to,the easiest,cheapest and best way is to keep the two systems separate,just run the coax.
Even tho you turn the Direct box "off",it is always on.

Swapping coax cables (or switching) between FTA and DirecTV would be a PITA with the DirecTV receiver. It requires the DTV satellite signal to be constant for guides, updates, authorization, etc. Disconnecting the DTV receiver from the DTV dish will cause many operational issues and long reboots...

Run dedicated coax... :)

Reactions: danristheman
I have a Directv receiver for each room that has Directv. I will have a receiver for each room that has FTA
You can't reasonably accomplish what I think you're trying to get at (since you seem hesitant to give us specifics on a receiver count).

You would need to physically remove EVERY DIRECTV receiver from the network when using FTA and vice versa (perhaps via appropriately rated A-B switches at every location -- even the locations that don't have FTA receivers) as well as A-B switching in the desired antenna when shifting between the two. If you missed just one of the receivers, the system wouldn't work.

Some switching may or may not be avoided through use of DIRECTV Genie Mini clients off of a Genie and diplexers (not recommended) or going with wireless minis but that's going to be costly if you aren't already set up that way.

If your existing cable is stapled in place, I'd give up now and add another set of cables to the FTA rooms otherwise you might use the existing cable to pull through some twin cable.

This assumes that you know what you're doing with respect to using multiple FTA receivers on a single cable to the FTA dish as sharing can have significant limitations (not just IF signal loss from splitting and/or diplexing the line).

I’m not hesitant to give specifics on receiver count. I said that each room would have a specific receiver, e.g. 5 Directv, 2 FTA. I was simply curious if one could use the same cable for both DTV and FTA by using a switch.

I’ll just string separate cable, even though my favorite thing to do in life is not crawling through an attic.

You can't reasonably accomplish what I think you're trying to get at (since you seem hesitant to give us specifics on a receiver count).

You would need to physically remove EVERY DIRECTV receiver from the network when using FTA and vice versa (perhaps via appropriately rated A-B switches at every location -- even the locations that don't have FTA receivers) as well as A-B switching in the desired antenna when shifting between the two. If you missed just one of the receivers, the system wouldn't work.

Some switching may or may not be avoided through use of DIRECTV Genie Mini clients off of a Genie and diplexers (not recommended) or going with wireless minis but that's going to be costly if you aren't already set up that way.

If your existing cable is stapled in place, I'd give up now and add another set of cables to the FTA rooms otherwise you might use the existing cable to pull through some twin cable.

This assumes that you know what you're doing with respect to using multiple FTA receivers on a single cable to the FTA dish as sharing can have significant limitations (not just IF signal loss from splitting and/or diplexing the line).
m hmmm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts