How to install a new receiver?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

afx

Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Houston
How to install a new receiver? *Might be solved*

I bought a receiver off ebay for an awesome price, called Directv before and checked the number and it was owned, when I got it in I called and got a new card activated but don't know exactly how to set it up from there. Im pretty technically proficient so dont worry about lingo.

Right now my dish (fairly new) has one cable that comes down the side of the house to what looks like 4 coplers stuck one on top of the other, that has one line that goes into my wall through the attic into my closet where the main rj45/coax box is, right now it plugs directly into the living room TV but I need it to be able to split and plug into the bedroom terminal also. When I tried to just put a splitter on them both the TV's couldnt find signal.

My question is do I need to run another cable from the sat. to the inside or is there something I can buy to split the cable running in the house already?

Also, my HDDVR receiver (HR22-100) has a black box that takes this one cable and plits it into 2 and the box plugs into the wall for power if this helps.

Any help is appreiciated, if you need to I can take pictures.

Last edited:
I bought a receiver off ebay for an awesome price, called Directv before and checked the number and it was owned, when I got it in I called and got a new card activated but don't know exactly how to set it up from there. Im pretty technically proficient so dont worry about lingo.

Right now my dish (fairly new) has one cable that comes down the side of the house to what looks like 4 coplers stuck one on top of the other, that has one line that goes into my wall through the attic into my closet where the main rj45/coax box is, right now it plugs directly into the living room TV but I need it to be able to split and plug into the bedroom terminal also. When I tried to just put a splitter on them both the TV's couldnt find signal.

My question is do I need to run another cable from the sat. to the inside or is there something I can buy to split the cable running in the house already?

Also, my HDDVR receiver (HR22-100) has a black box that takes this one cable and plits it into 2 and the box plugs into the wall for power if this helps.

Any help is appreiciated, if you need to I can take pictures.

NO Splitters allowed on a D* set up before the rec. ...... period.

One wire from Dish, and only one going in sounds like a SWM setup. Also power inserter confirms my SWM theory. Pics would be nice.

One wire from Dish, and only one going in sounds like a SWM setup. Also power inserter confirms my SWM theory. Pics would be nice.

That's what I was thinking too, I can't help him out other than the basics, I've yet to do a SWM Dish, I've done the 3 lnb one, just not the SWM one.

That's what I was thinking too, I can't help him out other than the basics, I've yet to do a SWM Dish, I've done the 3 lnb one, just not the SWM one.

Ill have some pics for you guys when the sun comes out! Thanks for the quick replies!

Let me ask, the receiver I bought was a black DirectvPLUS receiver that isn't an HD, that is compatible with my dish correct?

Ill have some pics for you guys when the sun comes out! Thanks for the quick replies!

Let me ask, the receiver I bought was a black DirectvPLUS receiver that isn't an HD, that is compatible with my dish correct?

In your first post you mentioned having "my HDDVR receiver (HR22-100) has a black box"
Is this what you have, you can check in a number of places, inside the Access door or on the back tag.

The HR22 is an HD rec. The H in the model designates Hi Def

Let us know for sure what your using.
Also, see if you can get a model off the dish, so we know for sure.

Jimbo

In your first post you mentioned having "my HDDVR receiver (HR22-100) has a black box"
Is this what you have, you can check in a number of places, inside the Access door or on the back tag.

The HR22 is an HD rec. The H in the model designates Hi Def

Let us know for sure what your using.
Also, see if you can get a model off the dish, so we know for sure.

Jimbo

Haha, I think I might have not been clear, I know the HD DVR is that model but it has an additional black box that plugs into the wall. One coax cable comes from the wall into this little box that splits it to 2 coax (I assume its just a splitter) and those 2 go into the tuner 1 and 2 input of the HD DVR.

Pictures coming soon.

Alright guys, pictures are here and I was a little wrong in my description, the little black box doesnt split the cable, it seems to just couple it and maybe boost or decode it because if I fuss with it my sat signal goes away for some reason.. I took a bunch of pics to make sure you know what im working with.

Thanks for the help again guys!

KS150894.jpg

Side 1
KS150895.jpg

Side 2
KS150896.jpg

The 4 port couplet where the dish plugs into. Mind you the bottom plug is my Cable internet connection.
KS150897.jpg

Closer view of the coupler
KS150900.jpg

A picture of the little black box dealy.
KS150901.jpg

And just incase you wanted to see it, my main cable panel, a little messy yes but Ive been doing some re-wiring with better gigabit cables for the rooms in the house.

Alright, I THINK i might have gotten it squared up, I took the little black box, went into the closet and hooked it up to the main coax coming from the dish to the house, then took another cable and plugged it into the main terminal which splits into the whole house, the main living room reciever works just fine and the bedroom now reads the sat. info and asks for a card which should be here tomorrow.

I think I might have it down!

Thanks for the help guys!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts