how to locate a satellite with a Twinhan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

maybrick

Original poster
Jul 21, 2005
I received a few weeks ago a Twinka 1022 DVB card, along with two antennas and a couple LNBs.

I just installed one antenna and its LNB, and connected it to the card.

I'm trying to locate a satellite, but I have failed a lot of times.

The power level is as low as 40% and as high as 68%, always. I only once obtained a 80% lecture, but it was very brief and I moved the dish by mistake, and lost it. The signal level is always at 0% and hasn't moved at all.

I've checked my azimuth, elevation, and geographical south. There is nothing that can block the signal, but I can't receive it.

What am I doing wrong?

Any ideas?

Quality is most important. Second most important is having the card set to an active signal. Let us know what satellite you are trying to get, and we will tell you an transponder and SR to use to point the dish.

my location

I'm in Guadalajara, Mexico: Latitude N 20° 41' 05''; Longitude W 103° 13' 24''
I'm trying to get Satmex 5, using a 90 centimeters (35 inches) dish, with an universal LNB labeled "0.7 dB". Satmex 5 is supposed to be at 116.8W, with an azimuth of 214.14 degrees, and an elevation of 61.42 degrees. I know I can receive the feeds with this dish, because I saw it work in a friend's home with the same equipment, however, I believe his LNB was labelled "0.3 dB". The dish and LNB where previously used on a Sky subscription, but I already have it and I'm not interested in it anymore. I want to test FTA to use it on my ranch, where I have no other TV option, not even Sky because they will not going to install it there.

If I buy a new LNB or if I buy a motor, will it be easier to locate this satellite?

I can't find a thing.

I'll try to get another LNB, because I can't get anything. I can only get a constant power from 59% up to 68%, nothing more. It does not matter where I point the dish, even the floor. My signal quality is a constant and flat 0%.

I'll try to swap the LNB for the one that my Sky uses, if I get signal in my Sky equipnet, I'll asume I'm doing something wrong and that the LNB is OK.

Any suggestions?

What kind of receiver.....

Make sure the L.O. is set correctly for the LNB type you are using (what does it say on the LNB any numbers?)

Standard KU L.O. = 10750

Universal KU L.O. = 11250

I ran into the same problem when I setup my first FTA deal with a PCi card too. The key is to make sure that your software is setup for the LNB correctly, and is also waiting for a signal from an active transponder.

I figured since finding a dishnetwork bird was so easy that this would be no problem, just point and aim. I quickly found that it was a bit more complicated than that. The Dishnetwork satellites have the luxury of operating all transponders on the same symbol rate, where as normal Ku band signals vary greatly from transponder to transponder and satellite to satellite.

I thought my LNB was crap because it was so old, but it turned out that it still worked just fine, I just needed to make sure that what I was telling it to use was actually up there. This is where lyngsat comes in handy.

Just match your settings to a recently updated transponder on lyngsat, and start panning the sky for the satellite you're after. It's going to take a while, but once you find that first one, you'll have the hang of it and can lock onto all the others.

The key is the settings in the software. If they're off, the whole thing isn't going to work. Kind of a pain, but locking onto a satellite and getting crystal clear digital picture is worth it in most cases. (vs. that downconverted pixelated crap dishnetwork offers).

Good luck to you, just remember when you think you're going to give up, take a break, then try again, and you'll get it. :)

I'l try...

I exchanged the old LNB with the newer on my current equipment, and it worked, so I switched it back. I'll try it back on my office when the sun lowers a little.

It is universal, and as far as I know, it's setup is correct. Maybe the problem is me.

Can you tell me how can I know what data do I need to set up a transponder on my card? Or there is any other software, better than the one Twinhan supplied?

I'll try to locate a good transponder, and I'll report back if it works.

Any other useful ideas?

Nothing.

I'll try one more time, this time with an already oriented dish. If it doesn't work, then my problem is a bad card.

*sigh*

Finally I figured what's wrong...

Me. Just me.

I used my card with an aimed antenna, and worked. Then exhanged my LNB, and worked. Then exhanged the whole dish with the same settings, and worked. So the one thing that causes that I can't find the satellite, it's me.

*sigh*

Back at my office, I'l try to do the whole thing again.

It sounds like you have the card settings right. You just need help with tuning your dish and these guys here can help you out with that. The thing that I see most people do wrong is swinging the dish way to fast to find a sat. Get everything hooked up and the card all set up for a known transponder and your LNB then begin your search. Move the dish painfully slowly from left to right, if you dont find anything change the elevation a little and try it again. Once you figure it out it isn't too hard although it seems like a frustrating task at first.

I think most of us have been in your shoes before and are here to help.

Others please add your tips to help maybrick out.

Wholeshoe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tivo Intergration?

How does a V-Box work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts