How to make an auto tune timer on the Joey with a Hopper 3?

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
I have tried it all but nothing works.

I simply want to have the Joey auto tune a channel number (not a show) every day at 6:00 AM. It was simple with my older Hopper2 but this thing is crazy stupid or I am - gotta be one of us!

Reactions: pattykay
That doesn't seem to work because the show has a different name on Saturday and another on Sunday. All I want is to tune to a channel (200 in this case)

Matt that simply does not work at all and I have tried that many times. It worked perfectly on the Hopper 2. It will occasionally process the auto tune event but mostly it will not. If you look at the activity under schedule it will indeed show that it processed the event but it did not.

Bad Hopper?

A fix?

Matt that simply does not work at all and I have tried that many times. It worked perfectly on the Hopper 2. It will occasionally process the auto tune event but mostly it will not. If you look at the activity under schedule it will indeed show that it processed the event but it did not.

Bad Hopper?
No, you're not the first with problems. Must be a new bug. There are no options in timers, just set timers.

I just tested this and was able to create a manual autotune timer for 1 day (the days did not work so you would need separate timers). When in the Timers tab press RED on the remote or the Options button. I just tested this on a Joey 2 using a 52.0 remote

Yes you can set the timer manually and you can also set the frequency from once to daily. BUT, as I said, it is a crap shoot if it will actually work ... most of the time it does not then 3 days later it will for a few days then it won't.

It does seem to work reliably if you auto tune to a program specific, but not to just a channel number. But then I need 3 separate timers (show name changes on weekend) to get all 7 days !!

This is a longshot, and you might have already thought of this or tried it, but "priority" isn't what's somehow messing you up is it? Do they work any more consistently if set as #1 priority? Again, just a thought.

I did indeed try that and set the priority to # 1 with the same erratic result. I have also noticed that if a show is set to record at the same time as the auto-tune that the show will record but the auto-tune will fail. I have the show start a minute early so there is no conflict with the processor trying to do two thins at the same instant.

I have CNN come on at 6:00 AM so I can scan through it in bed and it is on 200. Modern Marvels is also on at 6:00 AM weekly and I record it but it starts a minute early. MM will record fine but 200 is a bust ... every time. 16 tuners seems to really mean one tuner in this instance. I now wish I had my Hopper 2 back.

I have tried it all but nothing works.

I simply want to have the Joey auto tune a channel number (not a show) every day at 6:00 AM. It was simple with my older Hopper2 but this thing is crazy stupid or I am - gotta be one of us!
You're not stupid... somebody with dish screwed us.... auto tune SUCKS on wally

I did indeed try that and set the priority to # 1 with the same erratic result. I have also noticed that if a show is set to record at the same time as the auto-tune that the show will record but the auto-tune will fail. I have the show start a minute early so there is no conflict with the processor trying to do two thins at the same instant.

I have CNN come on at 6:00 AM so I can scan through it in bed and it is on 200. Modern Marvels is also on at 6:00 AM weekly and I record it but it starts a minute early. MM will record fine but 200 is a bust ... every time. 16 tuners seems to really mean one tuner in this instance. I now wish I had my Hopper 2 back.
Yes, I have encountered your problem ONLY when a recording and an Auto Tune are set for the same program BLOCK regardless of being a minute before etc. I have found that you need to CHOOSE between either a DVR (recording) or an Auto-Tune, but you can NOT have BOTH. Pick the ONE that best suits your desires. Apparently the Dish DVR's do NOT seem to like BOTH Auto-tune and DVR for the same program scheduled at the same time. It is what it is, unfortunately. I think any of the engineers believed that people either wanted to DVR a show or Auto-tune to it, not both, and so the coders had no emphasis on this. It is just the way engineers think and coders prefer not to deal with the clashes and inexplicable problems it MIGHT produce.

I consider this something like Dish DVR's will not save programming streams in the buffer when viewing a DVR recording. My TiVo's do, but SO WHAT! Such buffering while watching a DVR recording is hardly a deal breaker, and I have perhaps 3 or 4 times in over 10 years of owning TiVo's ever benefited from the TiVo buffering while I watch a DVR recording--but TiVO only buffers for 30 minutes, while Dish buffers for an hour, and I have benefited from Dish's ONE-HOUR buffering far more frequently than TiVo's buffering while watching a DVR recording.

In my case, unless I don't care if I miss any portion, I just select DVR because I can always tune to that channel anyway, and most often it is the stream that is recording in progress and I can just REW to the beginning really fast, and it has the advantage of still being recorded if I choose to see it later.

I only use Auto-tune for events that I just don't care if I ever see, but for events that would be NICE to auto change the tuner if I know I am watching something I don't care if it is interrupted by an Auto-tune, but if I care to see such a program, then I DVR it and I happen to be someone who often goes into the TV Status (IIRC) screen that shows me all my tuners and what, if any, are recording or tuned in order to be aware of wanting to watch something currently recording (in progress). Checking TV Status is a GREAT habit of mine that makes me aware of recordings in progress I want to view NOW. :)

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes you can set the timer manually and you can also set the frequency from once to daily. BUT, as I said, it is a crap shoot if it will actually work ... most of the time it does not then 3 days later it will for a few days then it won't.
Here we are 5 years later and this bug hasn't been fixed.

I’ve called Dish several times and no one there knew how to set it, one guy said you can’t, so I figured it out by myself you go to DVR scroll up to Timers press Options and go to the square box that says create timer it’s box number 3 if you select DVR it will record if you select Auto Tune it’ll show you a reminder at the time you choose, good luck, maybe I should work for Dish

I miss autotune it got lost in shovel and down graded with swith to hoppers systems, you use to be able to pick auto tune or dvr when hit record on show.
Since the hoppers it just record option and autotune is buried in timer page for individual timers. which is questionable at time

BTW there bugs in hopper software that been in pre hopper boxes and got migrated to hopper, and will probably never be fixed either

Reactions: charlesrshell