How to point Dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

carter23

Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Cleveland, OH
What is the correct way to "point" a Dish 500 at the 129W sat? I have a single dish pointing at 61.5 now for my HD channels. All of our regional sports are only on 129. I was hoping to just re-point the 61.5 to the 129w. Is that possible? I pulled the settings from dishpointer for my area. (or should I consult a different site)

How do you measure the elevation, azimuth, and skew? I'm assuming the skew is done by the reading on the dish itself. The azimuth is the direction, but what about elevation? I think there's a setting on the actual dish for this as well but how do accurately determine that? I know I can check the signal through the "point dish" in my receiver while I'm aiming. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

You are correct on all accounts. A compass will help you find the azimuth, and the elevation is adjusted to a scale on the side of the dish. If you have a Dish 500 you can bet that 129 is about 10 degrees to the right of where that other dish is pointed. If you set the elevation correctly you may be able to just guess at the correct azimuth and get it right as I did. If you have an SW64 as I do (legacy equipment) you will need to do a check switch after repointing in order for the receiver to see the new satellite. Not sure if this is also true for DishPro switches.

Thanks for the input! I have a GPS unit with a compass so the azimuth is easy. I'm confused with the skew and elevation however. When I got the settings from Dishpointer, I also pulled the ones for the 61.5 sat which it's currently pointed at. The settings from the site do not match that on the dish! The azimuth does, but the skew and elevation do not?? That's where I'm getting confused.

After I point to 129w, do I need to run a check switch before it will give me a signal strength? Or can I move and start looking for signal strength before I run check switch?

Get the elevation numbers for both 61.5 and 129. Since 61.5 is probably higher, subtract 129 from 61.5. The difference is how much you need to adjust your dish downward using the little scale on the side, then you should be very close when you turn it westward. Doesn't matter that the numbers are "off" compared to the scale on the dish, as long as the new setting is "off" by the same amount.

It might make it easier to connect the dish directly to a receiver while you're looking for signal. Be sure to use an active transponder that your receiver can see, 12 worked for me.

Since you're pointing at a single satellite and using circular polarity, skew is irrelevant.

Good thinking Pepper! I have the sat plugged into the receiver - do I need to aim (as best as possible) and then run check switch before I can see signal strength? Or will I see signal strength before I run check switch? Thanks again for your help...

Skew does not matter for a single LNB dish (Dish 300). It can be upside down and still work. The elevation is usually fine tuned. Just get it to whatever your specs call for on 129. Then use the compass to find the bird. Once you have this and tighten up the mast then loosen and adjust the elevation to find the strongest signal, then lock it down.

If the LNBF is plugged directly to the receiver, you shouldn't need to run check switch yet. Just select 129 and see what you get.

Dish point question

Hi, I am new to the community. I got a World Direct dish (36x20) with two LNBs (one round LNB and one KU Linear 11.7-12.2) attached. I can easily point to 97W with 90/90 signal with the round LNB. However, I am not able to find 101 or 95. Am I did something wrong?

According to dishpointers.com, I should use these angles:

95W, Elev 38.1, Azimuth=125.2, Polarization=-30.8 65C
97W, Elev 39.2, Azimuth=127.6, Polarisation=-29 90C
101W, Elev 38.1, Azimuth=132.9, Polarization=-25.2

However, actually I have to use Elev 54, Skew=90 for 97W with no problem.
One friend told me that I should use Skew=65 for 95/101, but I tries everything I can without success. By the way, I live in bay area (Palo Alto,CA).

I try to figure out why I need to use different angles as provided by dishpointer in order to get 97W, and how I can get 95/101 with this dish.

Another obersation I have is, that I have an existing 20x18" direct TV dish which I can receive signal from 97W, but it looks like it point to 10 degree west than my new 36x20 dish. How that can be possible?

Any help will be appreciated. I really like to use the 36x20 dish to get chinese program for my dad on 95W (CCTV4). Thanks again.

I use Coolsat 6000 receiver, seems to be very sensitive to find satelite, at least works for 97W.

Is that easy to use KU LNB to find 95W, or use the other LNB to find 101W? One thing I know is that the round LNB works fine because I can get 97W well.

You won't get much help for Direct TV satellites from a Dish/EchoStar board. IIRC 95 97 101 are part of the 5 or so Direct slots and Dish does not use linear polarization for the current satellites 61.5 110 119 129 and maybe 148 with a different modulation on 118.7 and 121 and bye-bye 105. The new Eastern Arc uses 61.5 70? and 77 to avoid 129. Try the companion boards starting at www.SatelliteGuys.us.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)