How to put phone number on permanent ignore in Android?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Is it possible to set up a phone number in your contacts or some other way so that when that call comes in it is automatically ignored?

This would be a terrific app. I get harassed by what seems to be the same telemarketing calls daily. There are only a few but they call every hour. I normally just let it ring and don't answer. I have long ago found out who they are but they don't follow do not call lists and are quick to inform me they don't have to in my case.
My phone already has a way to ignore a call manually each time but I want something that activates auto ignore. Heck, I'd even root my phone if that's what an app like this takes.

Yippee! Figured it out. Now just have to see if it works. Here's how:

Go to the phone app and find the caller on the list of recent callers. Tap the + sign and add the caller to your contacts.
Next open up the People contacts and go to that caller you named. In my first case I named it "telemarketer harasser"
Now touch and hold the contact name in the list a popup screen will present itself where you can block the caller.

So, that's what I did for the hourly caller and now lets see how this works out.

This could be a great asset to my life. I wonder if iphone has this capability.

Call Control (see it at everycall.us) will do this for you as well as block their database of crap calls.

hhmm, maybe its the launcher then
The steps to do this definitely fall under "it depends". Phones running HTC's Sense may do it one way, phones with Cyanogen or AOSP a different way, Motorola Blur another, and so on....

For me, on AOSP, following Don's steps, it fails at "Tap the + sign" :). I have to add them to my contacts and then choose "Send directly to voicemail", as I recall.

Sorry guys. Should have known with Android there is no standard. :(

When I touch and hold the contact in the list, the menu that pops up says: Edit Contact; Delete Contact; send contact as vcard; and Block caller.

It must be working because since I did that the most annoying caller has stopped. I don't know if they get dumped to VM because this caller never left a message anyway. One time I did answer and it was some hispanic lady asking if I accepted credit cards. Probably one of those work at home from your computer jobs.

I also get two others that do not show up with an actual number. "Private caller" and "Restricted" My system doesn't work with those because those calls are not listed in the caller ID number so I have no way to detect what number they are calling from. I'm going to contact Verizon. Years ago they had a way I could have any call with caller ID blocked banned from calling me. Then I had to stop doing that because a couple clients I had began complaining they couldn't call me. Now I don't have any clients who are in hiding so that should work for me again. :)

Hall the list of recent callers has the + sign for any call that is not already in the People list. Otherwise I show a little card icon. The + sign is what I use to add the cards to the people contact list.

FYI- My Android version is 2.2.1 on the Thunderbolt and I have NOT accepted the most recent update- Having no reboot issues and I'm afraid I'll lose the free mobile hotspot access. I do suffer with the nag screen on restarts.

Last edited:
Sorry guys. Should have known with Android there is no standard. :(

When I touch and hold the contact in the list, the menu that pops up says: Edit Contact; Delete Contact; send contact as vcard; and Block caller.

It must be working because since I did that the most annoying caller has stopped. I don't know if they get dumped to VM because this caller never left a message anyway. One time I did answer and it was some hispanic lady asking if I accepted credit cards. Probably one of those work at home from your computer jobs.

I also get two others that do not show up with an actual number. "Private caller" and "Restricted" My system doesn't work with those because those calls are not listed in the caller ID number so I have no way to detect what number they are calling from. I'm going to contact Verizon. Years ago they had a way I could have any call with caller ID blocked banned from calling me. Then I had to stop doing that because a couple clients I had began complaining they couldn't call me. Now I don't have any clients who are in hiding so that should work for me again. :)

Hall the list of recent callers has the + sign for any call that is not already in the People list. Otherwise I show a little card icon. The + sign is what I use to add the cards to the people contact list.

FYI- My Android version is 2.2.1 and I have NOT accepted the most recent update- Having no reboot issues and I'm afraid I'll lose the free mobile hotspot access. I do suffer with the nag screen on restarts.

what phone?

You shouldn't need to do anything on your phone itself. If Verizon Wireless is like every other phone provider you should be able to log on to your online account management and be able to block specific phone numbers from calling and/or texting you.

Between being on the state and federal do not call lists and for the home phone having ACR enabled, we haven’t got any junk calls in years and years on any phone. Then all of a saddened on the home phone started getting calls from 954-990-0818 which after doing a Google search, appears to be pretty popular. You pick up and there’s no one there. Just blocked that number a few minutes ago using Time Warner’s Phone Zone settings online. Very easy to do and it took immediate effect. I used my [now illegal] Caller ID Spoofer app to call my home phone having that number show up on the caller ID and it will not go through. I just checked out Sprints call and text blocking capabilities and they are pretty specific as allowing or disallowing inbound and outbound communications from specific numbers. So I recommend checking your account management and seeing what you can do.

You shouldn't need to do anything on your phone itself. If Verizon Wireless is like every other phone provider you should be able to log on to your online account management and be able to block specific phone numbers from calling and/or texting you.

Between being on the state and federal do not call lists and for the home phone having ACR enabled, we haven’t got any junk calls in years and years on any phone. Then all of a saddened on the home phone started getting calls from 954-990-0818 which after doing a Google search, appears to be pretty popular. You pick up and there’s no one there. Just blocked that number a few minutes ago using Time Warner’s Phone Zone settings online. Very easy to do and it took immediate effect. I used my [now illegal] Caller ID Spoofer app to call my home phone having that number show up on the caller ID and it will not go through. I just checked out Sprints call and text blocking capabilities and they are pretty specific as allowing or disallowing inbound and outbound communications from specific numbers. So I recommend checking your account management and seeing what you can do.

Thanks Steve. I did but mainly for the non-number calls where the caller has his number restricted. Verizon does not allow me to block those calls. This was per their FAQ section.

OK, correction- I logged into my account and on my phone I can block calls like I described before for free in the contacts list. I see they do also offer a special service to block unlisted number, restricted, or Private number ( this is what I was hoping for) but they charge for this feature $4.99 per month. :(

Last edited:
I used to use this app called MR Number. IIRC it has several options for what you want to do. Including pick up and hang up, straight to voice mail, or a special message tailored to specific number. I think it also included options for the privet numbers as well.

Not on Android, using iOS, but what I do is pretty easy. I have a contact named "Ignore This Idiot" with a silent ringtone. Anybody who's a telemarketer or just some random joe who refuses to believe they're calling the wrong number gets added to that contact.

Not on Android, using iOS, but what I do is pretty easy. I have a contact named "Ignore This Idiot" with a silent ringtone. Anybody who's a telemarketer or just some random joe who refuses to believe they're calling the wrong number gets added to that contact.

same thing on android

same thing on android
Nice idea.... I know you can have multiple phone numbers linked to one account, but is there a limit ? Then again, we'd just end up with "Ignore This Idiot # 1", "Ignore This Idiot # 2", "Ignore This Idiot # 3", and on and on. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts