How to send video from 721 to Pocketdish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mrhoni

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
I have the Pocketdish power plugged in, the pocketdish video cable is plugged into the back of the Aux/Vcr section of the 721. I turned the 721 on and selected Videocorder on the Pocketdish.

It first gives the message "detecting video", then the message "no video detected".

So what is wrong?

As far as I know, you can only connect the PocketDish to certain receivers to download programs, and the 721 isn't one of them. :(

I'm not trying to do the same process as I did on my 622 to copy shows to the Pocketdish.

I'm assuming from what I've read that the Pocketdish can record input from a video source. I was attempting to start or schedule a recording process and then play a movie on the 721 assuming that the output from the aux/vcr connections on the 721 will feed into the Pocketdish and it would record what was coming in just as if I did what I think some people do to send from their DVR to a DVD writer or VCR??

Works through the dock

I tried the same process on the 622 as I did on the 721 but no video signal.

So I decided to try out the dock that was included with the product. In the case of the dock there is a input or output choice, so I chose the video input choice and now it works as I expected. I can play a movie recorded on the 721 and record it onto the Pocketdish.

Once it is done recording I'll have to check it out to see how it looks. I chose the 4:3 selection for the video but I may do a different choice(s) for another movie. There are several choices in the setup screen for how you want to handle the quality and format of the incoming video.

Ah, I see. I always have so much recorded, I haven't used my PocketDish to realtime record. Let me know how the quality is and your selections of the choices.

To clarify for anyone who doesn't have a Pocketdish yet, the dock has 2 places to plug in the audio/video cable that comes with the product. The R/W/Y end went into the 721 and the other end plugs into the AV input on the dock. There is a cable with a suite of connection coming out of the dock and plugs into the top of the Pocketdish.

In the Videocorder settings I chose 4:3 and the highest bitrate. A bit over 2gb for a 1:42 movie. Looks pretty good on playback to the LCD screen.

However.......
I still wonder why I had to use the dock. I really think I should have only needed to use the audio/video cable that comes with the Pocketdish to record from the 721. If noone knows the answer or I don't figure it out, I'll try the Pocketdish support, but the couple times I used them, I didn't get answers.

You need the dock because the the 1/8 jack on the pocketdish is the OUTPUT jack.

The only way to access the input connections is with the special connector on the docking cable.

Is that your final answer - Yes!

Yep, you are right. I went back to the manual and see I didn't look at it close enough.
Thanks.

PocketDISH can record video from almost any source using the docking station and the analog
AV-cable. When you use the analog AV-cable, make sure you use the source’s Line-out
connection (which is not amplified).
USING THE DOCKING STATION
With the docking station connected to power, you can make video recordings from almost any
video source that has a video out connection.