How to send video from 721 to Pocketdish?

mrhoni

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
I have the Pocketdish power plugged in, the pocketdish video cable is plugged into the back of the Aux/Vcr section of the 721. I turned the 721 on and selected Videocorder on the Pocketdish.

It first gives the message "detecting video", then the message "no video detected".

So what is wrong?

As far as I know, you can only connect the PocketDish to certain receivers to download programs, and the 721 isn't one of them. :(

I'm not trying to do the same process as I did on my 622 to copy shows to the Pocketdish.

I'm assuming from what I've read that the Pocketdish can record input from a video source. I was attempting to start or schedule a recording process and then play a movie on the 721 assuming that the output from the aux/vcr connections on the 721 will feed into the Pocketdish and it would record what was coming in just as if I did what I think some people do to send from their DVR to a DVD writer or VCR??

Works through the dock

I tried the same process on the 622 as I did on the 721 but no video signal.

So I decided to try out the dock that was included with the product. In the case of the dock there is a input or output choice, so I chose the video input choice and now it works as I expected. I can play a movie recorded on the 721 and record it onto the Pocketdish.

Once it is done recording I'll have to check it out to see how it looks. I chose the 4:3 selection for the video but I may do a different choice(s) for another movie. There are several choices in the setup screen for how you want to handle the quality and format of the incoming video.

Ah, I see. I always have so much recorded, I haven't used my PocketDish to realtime record. Let me know how the quality is and your selections of the choices.

To clarify for anyone who doesn't have a Pocketdish yet, the dock has 2 places to plug in the audio/video cable that comes with the product. The R/W/Y end went into the 721 and the other end plugs into the AV input on the dock. There is a cable with a suite of connection coming out of the dock and plugs into the top of the Pocketdish.

In the Videocorder settings I chose 4:3 and the highest bitrate. A bit over 2gb for a 1:42 movie. Looks pretty good on playback to the LCD screen.

However.......
I still wonder why I had to use the dock. I really think I should have only needed to use the audio/video cable that comes with the Pocketdish to record from the 721. If noone knows the answer or I don't figure it out, I'll try the Pocketdish support, but the couple times I used them, I didn't get answers.

You need the dock because the the 1/8 jack on the pocketdish is the OUTPUT jack.

The only way to access the input connections is with the special connector on the docking cable.

Is that your final answer - Yes!

Yep, you are right. I went back to the manual and see I didn't look at it close enough.
Thanks.

PocketDISH can record video from almost any source using the docking station and the analog
AV-cable. When you use the analog AV-cable, make sure you use the source’s Line-out
connection (which is not amplified).
USING THE DOCKING STATION
With the docking station connected to power, you can make video recordings from almost any
video source that has a video out connection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts