how to set and erase limits on Drake APS 3240E Antenna Positioning System?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

paulvr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Hi guys,

A rather simplistic question, I know, but I suddenly have to grab back into old stock to move my 10 ft Unimesh dish after it appears that both my Echostar and Chaparral analog receivers which I tended to use don´t want to power up after having been off for apparently too long a time.

Storm is heading towards us (the netherlands) so I had to do something to move the big dish (with Ajak H2H mount) so that it doesn't catch the brunt of it.

The box gave E0 as error without even trying to move east or west, but luckily I found out that by pushing the right hand button (LIMIT / RECAL) while pushing West it moved the dish westward, enough to be in profile with the direction from which we expect the storm to come so that is OK now.

But of course I'd like to start using it permanently as every other older receiver including my somewhat newer Echostar DVR-7000 keeps needing regular battery replacements. I can't find my instruction sheet anymore and my own memory just isn't good enough to recall what to do as there are two push buttons with for me somewhat contradictory descriptions:

the left one says both ADD above and ERASE below the button
the right one says LIMIT above and RECAL below that button.

I could start experimenting but perhaps someone here is experienced and kind enough to tell me how to use it or could even mail the instruction sheet that goes with it?

By forehand many thanks!

Paul.

Unless someone here is familiar with that unit, don't know if you're going to to ever get the limits reset and/or programmed. Until then, to get it 'out of the wind' just use a battery connected to the motor leads.
Anything from 12 to 36 volts will work. I like to use portable drill batteries for their convenience.
(UGH, didn't read whole post, you did get it moved. :up More experimenting may be needed. Maybe holding erase then turning power on???)
Make it more user friendly with a V-Box or the (soon to be available) TitaniumSatellite ASC-1
Good luck!

Thank you for your response, Fat Air. To start with the last remark, I do have a V-Box but unfortunately the dish apparently requires just a little extra power: quite often the V-Box made the dish stop just short of it's destination, a problem I never had with my Chapparal Monterey or Echostar LT 8700 receivers. My Drake positioner was once used for a 10 ft Winegard dish, you might remember the old heavy deep dish design ones. never gave me any problems back then so I have good hopes that it will do OK once I get it going properly.

The ASC-1 sounds marvellous, I'll certainly look into that one.

Meanwhile I still hope that someone can give me some instructions on the Drake, it's after all a very well known actuator be it one of long ago.

Hi guys,

A rather simplistic question, I know, but I suddenly have to grab back into old stock to move my 10 ft Unimesh dish after it appears that both my Echostar and Chaparral analog receivers which I tended to use don´t want to power up after having been off for apparently too long a time.

Storm is heading towards us (the netherlands) so I had to do something to move the big dish (with Ajak H2H mount) so that it doesn't catch the brunt of it.

The box gave E0 as error without even trying to move east or west, but luckily I found out that by pushing the right hand button (LIMIT / RECAL) while pushing West it moved the dish westward, enough to be in profile with the direction from which we expect the storm to come so that is OK now.

But of course I'd like to start using it permanently as every other older receiver including my somewhat newer Echostar DVR-7000 keeps needing regular battery replacements. I can't find my instruction sheet anymore and my own memory just isn't good enough to recall what to do as there are two push buttons with for me somewhat contradictory descriptions:

the left one says both ADD above and ERASE below the button
the right one says LIMIT above and RECAL below that button.

I could start experimenting but perhaps someone here is experienced and kind enough to tell me how to use it or could even mail the instruction sheet that goes with it?

By forehand many thanks!

Paul.
hi paulvr. e-bay has one here http://www.ebay.es/itm/Antenna-Positioning-System-DRAKE-3240-E-/141018479007
maybe if you contact them they have a manual.

Thank you beavs,
Yes indeed all my dishes survived the storm graciously, I am happy to say.
The Spanish seller of the positioner told me that unfortunatelyhe knows nothing about what he's selling so he couldn't help me any further with this.
But perhaps this coming weekend I'll do some experimenting, just two buttons like that should somehow be an easy nut to crack (I hope)...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)