Please reply by conversation.

bobvick

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Northwest Alabama
I have a single orthomode (C only) that I am going to try and install this evening. I have two Norsat lnbs for it. When I get the scalar ring centered correctly, and get the focal distance correct, do I need to skew this feed a certain way? By skew I mean twist from side to side. Would I need to do it when my dish is pointed at its highest point in its travel? Thanks in advance for the help.

You can tweak the skew at any satellite with signal strength meter. It's just hard to do without blocking the signal while twisting the feed assembly. So you twist a tinyest bit and stand back and look at the meter and repeat until desired results are achieved. Basic T & E You would set the feed assy to true vertical/horizontal when the dish is pointed due south, not nessesarily your TS sat, but true south.

I have a skew rig about half done for my dual orthomode. I have a USALS HH80 motor on there which I am going to use to adjust for skew. Since I move the dish via Gbox, I figure I will set all satellites at 0.00 degrees in the USALS menu in my Sonicview HD, and adjust skew by degrees. I figure if a USALS motor can move a dish, it has the power to turn a feedhorn. Trying to get this up and running for football season.

Different, I know, but I am really dying to bring in the football feeds this year.

I will let you all know if this works

I figure if a USALS motor can move a dish, it has the power to turn a feedhorn.
Trying to get this up and running for football season.
I will let you all know if this works
While I admire your spirit, and look forward to a thread with your hardware, I don't see a lot to be gained.
However, the threads using an SG2100 and some bicycle parts to twist a 6' dish were also very though-provoking, so go for it! - :up

I guess I'm trying to eliminate the one advantage corotors have over orthomodes. I am also desperate to have a good football viewing season. Everyone else, even folks geographically close to me is getting S2s like crazy.

Note that I won't be turning the dish, but only the feedhorn. I am securing the HH motor over the lnbs and the drive nut on the hh motor will turn the Geosat scalar(this part is already connected )on the back of the Birdview scalar. Then struts from the bigger Birdview scalar will go to the motor and hold it rigid. I am hoping to get maybe forty five degrees of skew travel. We will see.

Sounds like you may be over thinking this idea. The corotor only sets the skew vertical or horizontal. The movement of the dish varies it a few degrees as needed. The only reason I can think of to vary the skew other than this is for abnormal skewed sats, such as AMC1 soon to be replaced.

Sounds like you may be over thinking this idea. The corotor only sets the skew vertical or horizontal. The movement of the dish varies it a few degrees as needed. The only reason I can think of to vary the skew other than this is for abnormal skewed sats, such as AMC1 soon to be replaced.

Here I am, with a cool Birdview solid dish, a dual orthomode feedhorn with adequate lnbs on it, getting every satellite from 55.5 west to 139 west ( and could probably get out to the 160s if there was anything out there). Anything DVB is mine. I have two Technotrend cards for S2, and what happens? I don't get eighty percent of the S2 stuff. It just comes up a big nothing in my Transedit program.

So ninety percent of the football feeds I don't see.

I am looking for solutions.

No one has been able to tell me why I don't get these at all. A guy's gotta try. I mean it's football

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)