How to set up recordings on second Hopper from Main Hopper?

KeithKenobi

Original poster
Apr 10, 2014
Santa Cruz CA
I have two Hoppers, I can see and watch recordings on the second Hopper, but how do I set up recordings on it from the Main Hopper? IE it is in a rental room and I can't just waltz in there. Thanks! Keith

Can't be done yet. You can only view recordings from one Hopper to the other.

You could have a Joey that can link to one Hopper or the other which would allow you to set timers on either one.

I have two Hoppers, I can see and watch recordings on the second Hopper, but how do I set up recordings on it from the Main Hopper? IE it is in a rental room and I can't just waltz in there. Thanks! Keith
As Scherrman said, can't be done from the Hopper, but you could use the DishAnywhere app/website to manage timers on the other unit. Not as convenient, but workable.

Bummer, Thanks. The salesman said I could! That is why we bought two hoppers and two joeys to be capable of ME having ALL recording capabilities, and the other three rental/kids rooms WATCH only... Is there a place to send firmware upgrade suggestions??? .. Keith

Can't be done yet. You can only view recordings from one Hopper to the other.

You could have a Joey that can link to one Hopper or the other which would allow you to set timers on either one.

Bummer, Thanks. The salesman said I could! That is why we bought two hoppers and two joeys to be capable of ME having ALL recording capabilities, and the other three rental/kids rooms WATCH only... Is there a place to send firmware upgrade suggestions??? .. Keith

Dish is well aware that this is a feature that customers want. They have told us that they are working on it and they may have some more sharing abilities at some point. I'm not sure if we will ever see full integration but it does sound like they will make it so we can at least set timers from one Hopper to another at some point.

As Scherrman said, can't be done from the Hopper, but you could use the DishAnywhere app/website to manage timers on the other unit. Not as convenient, but workable.
The Dish Anywhere App on my phone works great for setting timers on either Hopper no matter where I am as long as I have internet access on my phone. The app is free.

You are aware that Joeys can set recordings, no just watch only, yes? If you really want to control both Hopper recordings, put a Joey in your primary room, then select between the two Hoppers, and set each one's recordings. You just can't do it from Hopper to Hopper.

As KAB suggested, rewiring so that the main hopper is in one of the kid's rooms and a joey in the main TV room might be a solution.

The other possibility is replacing the second Hopper with a Super Joey. Then all the timers and recordings would be taken care of by the main hopper. You would lose a tuner though and obviously have all the recordings shared on one hopper.

But then you can't use PIP in the primary room.... Joeys don't have that capability.

It's only $7 a month to add a Joey to your primary TV on a different HDMI input. In my setup, switching is one button on my Harmony remote.

Give the Joey back when they fix integration.

Just get up and walk into the other room and set the recording on the other hopper and save yourself the extra $7.00 a month joey. It is inconvenient to have to actually move to the other room, but it sure beats the $7.00 x 12 months = $84.00 a year to be able to save the physical steps.;)

Just get up and walk into the other room and set the recording on the other hopper and save yourself the extra $7.00 a month joey. It is inconvenient to have to actually move to the other room, but it sure beats the $7.00 x 12 months = $84.00 a year to be able to save the physical steps.;)

Not if family room is in the back of the house, stairs in front and second Hopper is in a back bedroom...

My wife asks me to set timers for her when we are watching TV in the evenings in the family room... ...extra Joey is priceless. :D

(We can watch her EHD, too.)

Not if family room is in the back of the house, stairs in front and second Hopper is in a back bedroom...

My wife asks me to set timers for her when we are watching TV in the evenings in the family room... ...extra Joey is priceless. :D

(We can watch her EHD, too.)

You know if DISH could just design the software so we could set timers up from one hopper to the other , I think that would fix the majority of problems people have with two hoppers. I don't see why they couldn't do that ,other than maybe the money they would lose from people who are using joeys to do the timer setting. IF that is the case, I imagine we will never see that feature added.

...maybe the money they would lose from people who are using joeys to do the timer setting. IF that is the case, I imagine we will never see that feature added.

I doubt that they know that I'm using a Joey that way. For now it is a great convenience. If they fix the integration issue, I'll send the extra Joey back or get another TV.

I doubt that they know that I'm using a Joey that way. For now it is a great convenience. If they fix the integration issue, I'll send the extra Joey back or get another TV.

Thus illustrating Mike-C05's point.....

You know if DISH could just design the software so we could set timers up from one hopper to the other , I think that would fix the majority of problems people have with two hoppers. I don't see why they couldn't do that ,other than maybe the money they would lose from people who are using joeys to do the timer setting. IF that is the case, I imagine we will never see that feature added.

During CES Vivek made it sound like they were working on the timer issue and was hoping it may be available by the end of the year. When it comes to things like this I don't like to jump to conclusions and say it should be done now since I have no idea how difficult it is to make happen. Hopefully Vivek is right and the ability is available this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)