How to start?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mab631

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Hey guys i been trying to find a starting guide to FTA? But also wanted to know why do people have FTA when i see pictures of people setups most people have FTA and directv or dishnetwork or cable? Is there a place that shows that channels you get what FTA? Where should a noob start? Thanks to everyone for your help

Go to FTA / MPEG FAQ's on this forum and find the thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-faq-s/18652-i-ve-got-fta-setup-now-what-can-i-pick-up.html

This will tell you what channels are out there and how big a dish you need to see them.

You might also check LyngSat - Lyngemark Satellite and click America. Look thru satellites like AMC 3, AMC 5, Galaxy 25, AMC 4. Look thru the frequencies listed. The 4 digit transponders are C-Band and the 5 digit frequencies are Ku-Band. Everything listed with an "F" by it is free-to-air and can be seen with a min. 31" dish.

It's a great hobby that you will really enjoy once you get set up and pointed correctly. You will never be able to go back to just Dish, Direct, OTA or cable for that matter because there are things FTA that just aren't available with any other provider.

You won't get HBO/Showtime or the cable type of channels on FTA. BUT - if you like seeing everything else - then FTA is for you! I LOVE RTN (like TV Land) on G10! I also like the raw news feeds that you can find. White Springs on IA7 is good too - old movies and such.

I started a few years ago by reading each and every single post and thread on this web site, including ALL of the archives. There is a wealth of information here. By the time I was done with the several weeks of reading, I had a great deal of this hobby figured out--- to the point where I could actually get TV signals from satellites 23,000 miles away. What you don't know, just ask. There are some great contributors here, like Anole, Iceberg, qwert1515, Tron, PSB, Pepper, & Iafirebuff to name just a few, who seem to have all the answers and are generous enough with their time so as to explain what you can't figure out on your own. There are a few good books out there for the basic concepts as well. Use Google and check out Amazon.com.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)