How to tell if D* installer used HDMI cable rather than coax?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdbrad

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2006
I have a "built in" that houses all my components. Getting a look behind each component requires that cables be unplugged and componets pulled out (not enough "play" in cables to turn components around). DirecTV was at my home today switching out my HR21 HD DVR and I'm concerned that they may have just hooked a coax cable to my HR21 rather than the HDMI cable (I looked back behind my HR21 DVR and can see an HDMI cable just floating around in the back, but I've got so many cables I can't tell where the HDMI cable originates from). I can also see what appears to be an optical cable floating around. I can reach back behind and feel what appears to be one HDMI cable hooked up, but I can't tell if that's from my blu-ray player. I can also feel one coax cable hooked to the HR21.

Is there any way to tell, without pulling stuff out, and getting a visual...........if I'm receiving my signal/s via HDMI?

if i understand the question, you want to know if you stb is connected to you tv via coax or hdmi right?

the easy thing to do is go into you tv and see what input your stb is connected to. ....i.e. if you can use your stb then it is connect to an input...most tv number and or name there input so you can simply look inside your tv manual to see what input is what type.

then you will know.

also if you stb let you change the resolution, do so as you wont be able to get any HD resolution via coax only component/hdmi.

The installer will add the HDMI cable if your TV has the port. And at no cost. I've had many friends and family ($100.00 ea referral too) and all have gotten their systems installed and with HDMI cables.

I have a "built in" that houses all my components. Getting a look behind each component requires that cables be unplugged and componets pulled out (not enough "play" in cables to turn components around). DirecTV was at my home today switching out my HR21 HD DVR and I'm concerned that they may have just hooked a coax cable to my HR21 rather than the HDMI cable (I looked back behind my HR21 DVR and can see an HDMI cable just floating around in the back, but I've got so many cables I can't tell where the HDMI cable originates from). I can also see what appears to be an optical cable floating around. I can reach back behind and feel what appears to be one HDMI cable hooked up, but I can't tell if that's from my blu-ray player. I can also feel one coax cable hooked to the HR21.

Is there any way to tell, without pulling stuff out, and getting a visual...........if I'm receiving my signal/s via HDMI?
HR21 does not have a coax input

HR21 does not have a coax input

Did you mean to say no coax OUTPUT? I guarantee it has a coax input coming down from the antenna.

The real question on this thread is whether HDMI or component cabling was used. I thought the cabling was provided by the customer.

Does your TV have buttons on the remote to display the status of the input that is in use and/or toggle/select the input?

That would let you know which input has the DirecTV connected.

Did you mean to say no coax OUTPUT? I guarantee it has a coax input coming down from the antenna.

The real question on this thread is whether HDMI or component cabling was used. I thought the cabling was provided by the customer.
you are correct i did mean output...sorry

As was posted, the HR21 doesn't have a coax output. Does your picture look right, that is, in hd? If so, there is nothing to worry about. BTW, you should have enough play in the cabling to pull any component out of its compartment. If there isn't, I would get longer cables. JMHO.

I don't really mean to be a smart ass, but if you cannot tell the difference between a picture provided by an RF signal over coax & an HD picture coming through an HDMI cable just by looking at the TV screen, then you are wasting your money paying extra for HD!

Not really .... You'll get a very good picture from both.

Now if your talking HDMI or Coax, thats another story.

Either I am misreading this entire thread or we are all wasting our time. If an HDMI cable is exiting your receiver and connected to your TV then you are viewing HDMI. Your input has to be set at HDMI and what ever input port it is connected to.

Either I am misreading this entire thread or we are all wasting our time. If an HDMI cable is exiting your receiver and connected to your TV then you are viewing HDMI. Your input has to be set at HDMI and what ever input port it is connected to.

It's probably 100% that the OP is connected with a HDMI cable, but there is a slight chance that he's on a component cable.

One way to tell would be to turn the DTV receiver around and look at it. IF there is no component cabling connected to the receiver, its HDMI.

My Sony has 3 HDMI inputs and 6 other inputs including at least one component input. If I go into my Sony setup, I can see that I'm watching DTV on video 7 (HDMI). It's clearly labeled on the back of the set. If for some reason I could not turn the Sony around to see the inputs, the only other way I could tell that its HDMI instead of component is with the manual which shows what all the inputs in the back of the set are and clearly my manual shows input 7 as a HDMI input.

This whole thread may be good for typing practice, but I'm wondering if the OP is putting us on as this is really kindergarden stuff.

seriously??? i dosent matter if it is hdmi or component, your eyes cant tell the difference stop fooling yourself!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)