How to Tell if it's H.264 or Mpeg2?

Quantum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
OR
I thought they were supposed to turn off mpeg2 a year ago, but apparently not. 4000's, 3000's, and 2000's still work, along with all the other SD receivers.

So how can you be absolutely sure a show or channel is mpeg2? I want to know for curiosity reasons.

Any idea when all mpeg2 will be turned off?

I thought they were supposed to turn off mpeg2 a year ago, but apparently not. 4000's, 3000's, and 2000's still work, along with all the other SD receivers.

So how can you be absolutely sure a show or channel is mpeg2? I want to know for curiosity reasons.

Any idea when all mpeg2 will be turned off?

Two ways.... check TheList link in my signature.

Or go by these rules. Eastern Arc is MPEG4 on SD and HD(besides a few internationals and PI channels on 61.5). Western Arc is MPEG2 SD and MPEG4 HD.

There was no plan to turn off MPEG2 a year ago, there's still a ton of MPEG2 boxes out there. The first transition you will see is QPSK to 8PSK modulation conversion on Western Arc.

I have a Dish 1000 with 2 LNB's connected pointing to 110 / 119 and then a Dish 500 pointed at 129. I won't need to change that setup at all when they make the change to to 8PSK modulation on Western Arc, will I?

Thanks!

I have a Dish 1000 with 2 LNB's connected pointing to 110 / 119 and then a Dish 500 pointed at 129. I won't need to change that setup at all when they make the change to to 8PSK modulation on Western Arc, will I?

Thanks!

Skierrob,

It depends, if you have older Non Dish Pro receivers IE all model # receivers with four digits (1xxx, 2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx, 5xxx, or the DVHS Dish receiver) then no the switch to 8spk will turn those receivers into Door Stops.

John

Thanks.

So I gather that QPSK is the current modulation on mpeg2? (Western).

And that this will be transitioned to to 8PSK modulation? Any timeframe?

QPSK is the modulation for SD programming. HD uses 8PSK since all MPEG4 receivers are 8PSK capable. Some SD receivers are 8PSK capable. No time frame yet on the transition.

You can tell they are planning for it as a buddy of mine got 2 ViP222k receivers for his standard definition install.

QPSK is the modulation for SD programming. HD uses 8PSK since all MPEG4 receivers are 8PSK capable. Some SD receivers are 8PSK capable. No time frame yet on the transition.

You can tell they are planning for it as a buddy of mine got 2 ViP222k receivers for his standard definition install.

Digibur is there a list somewhere here at SatGuys that shows which modulation is

being used now for each MPEG2 receiver?.:confused:

He's saying that it's the incoming signal's modulation that determines what the receiver will operate at. If QPSK then most SDs will decode it. If 8PSK then only 8PSK-capable SD receivers will decode it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts