How to unstick a Von Weise actuator

nwchris

Original poster
Dec 23, 2023
Kenora ON Canada
I've got an old C band 11 foot mesh dish that I want to use for 1296 MHz moon bounce. I once used it for C band, and it has not moved for 20 years so it seems stuck. I am wondering how to safely get it apart. It says Von Weise on the motor, and Uniden UST 705 on the plastic rain cover.
When I put 12 volts on the 36 volt motor both ways and it jerks like it wants to move. It looks the same as this one from another post:
1703382999008.png

There are two 1/8x2 inch bolts going through the gear box which I removed and it let me peak into the gear box, the grease looked like good synthetic. There are three short screws holding the outer tube to the gear box, I removed them but nothing came apart. The plastic wheel with the optical notches seems to be pressed on?
I plan to run the motor manually with East/ West switches and wire a pulse counter to the optical sensor.
Sorry for such a newbie question, thanks,
-Chris VA3ECO

nwchris Personally, I'd disconnect it from the dish polar mount, temp replacing it with a piece of angle iron. Then, I'd re-test the motor with the 12 volt battery. This is because I suspect it's the dish MOUNT that's locked up, rather than the actuator itself.
Thanks for the fast reply Mike. I was going to pull the actuator in the next few days, though when I wiggle the dish it looks like it's a seized actuator, but will test for sure. And I found the procedure I need to disassemble if it is the actuator:
(post #11)
Great forum!
-Chris VA3ECO

Reactions: primestar31
Thanks for the fast reply Mike. I was going to pull the actuator in the next few days, though when I wiggle the dish it looks like it's a seized actuator, but will test for sure. And I found the procedure I need to disassemble if it is the actuator:
(post #11)
Great forum!
-Chris VA3ECO
once it's off the dish, take it apart where the main tube is attached to the motor/gear assembly (it should have 2-3 torx screws) and see if the tubes are seized. I suspect that water got in and rusted the ACME screw/nut or the tubes. See what moves and what does not. The outer tube should slide out and be able to spin on the inner tube. the inner tube hould be able to spin on the screw.

once it's off the dish, take it apart where the main tube is attached to the motor/gear assembly (it should have 2-3 torx screws) and see if the tubes are seized. I suspect that water got in and rusted the ACME screw/nut or the tubes. See what moves and what does not. The outer tube should slide out and be able to spin on the inner tube. the inner tube hould be able to spin on the screw.
I got the actuator off the dish and replaced it with some angle iron, good idea there.

Well, the tubes and the ACME screw/nut were seized. With heat and penetrating oil I got the outer tube un seized and removed. I have removed the ACME screw drive pin, and wire brushed the exposed thread of the ACME threaded rod. But I have not managed to unseize the ACME screw and the nut. The nut is still securely attached to the inner tube, and does not seem to be cracked. I have been applying Liquid wrench penetrating oil and gentle heat. The penetrating oil does not seem to be harming what I assume is a dark plastic nut. But the threaded rod will not turn. I will leave it soaking over night, may try boiling water tomorrow, or perhaps Santa might fix it tonight.

Either way, thanks everyone for all the help, and Merry Christmas!!
-Chris

I got the actuator off the dish and replaced it with some angle iron, good idea there.

Well, the tubes and the ACME screw/nut were seized. With heat and penetrating oil I got the outer tube un seized and removed. I have removed the ACME screw drive pin, and wire brushed the exposed thread of the ACME threaded rod. But I have not managed to unseize the ACME screw and the nut. The nut is still securely attached to the inner tube, and does not seem to be cracked. I have been applying Liquid wrench penetrating oil and gentle heat. The penetrating oil does not seem to be harming what I assume is a dark plastic nut. But the threaded rod will not turn. I will leave it soaking over night, may try boiling water tomorrow, or perhaps Santa might fix it tonight.

Either way, thanks everyone for all the help, and Merry Christmas!!
-Chris
Santa did not fix it, but an overnight soak in penetrating oil and a kettle of boiling water this morning did!
I've cleaned the rust and will now lube with Fluid Film, install an inner tube boot, and reassemble.
Thanks again.
-Chris

Santa did not fix it, but an overnight soak in penetrating oil and a kettle of boiling water this morning did!
I've cleaned the rust and will now lube with Fluid Film, install an inner tube boot, and reassemble.
Thanks again.
-Chris
Awesome! Congratulations! Always nice to read about such nice hardware being brought back to use!

Awesome! Congratulations! Always nice to read about such nice hardware being brought back to use!
It's back on the dish. Instead of a boot I made a long roof from a 1/2 piece of 2 inch pipe cut lengthwise.
I ran it on a 12 volt battery to test, and thought it wasn't working at first because I heard nothing, it was that quiet! I could only hear it if I was within 5 feet of it. I used to be able to hear it 100 feet away, what a difference. I checked limit switches (OK) and current draw (1/2 amp at 12 volts). So the project is on hold while I sneak away to Florida for two months, then I'll have to figure out how to add an altitude actuator for moon tracking. Any ideas for that are welcome.
-Chris

Reactions: Brct203 and FTA4PA