How to "Untie" Yourself from a Retailer

Racer47

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
How can you untie yourself from one retailer in order to buy from a different retailer? I want to upgrade to a 722 but the retailer I want to use says that I am "tied" to the retailer I used last time (I don't want to deal with them again). Why can't I buy from anyone that I want to? Is there a way around this? Is the new retailer even correct in saying that I am "tied" to a retailer? I don't get it.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've been lurking around here for quite a while. I just don't post much because up till now I've always been able to find answers to my questions.

I am looking for a promotional upgrade. Why can't I use any dealer? I don't understand the purpose of that policy.

What you may be able to do is go to the retailer you would like to use and tell them your situation, what you would like to do, and why you would prefer to go with someone else. They may be able to to petition to Dish Network to get an exception. It might work and it might not, but its worth a shot. Calling in to Dish might help your cause as well.

I begged my local retailer to do my HD upgrade and they said the were not allowed to do it. I would have had to cancel my current Dish membership and start over. And, of course, the overbooked installers took 3 tries to show up, just like they did for the initial install.
Moral: Start with a local installer from the beginning.

There must be some acknowledged method of changing retailers (as opposed to begging for an exception). What happens if you move? And I mean physically move hundreds of miles away. Are you then not able to receive promotional upgrades because you are tied to a dealer hundreds of miles away? This policy encourages people to dump their account and start over with new free equipment. It also encourages crappy dealer treatment because they know you can't go somewhere else.

This whole thing really stick in my craw. See... *I* did my initial install. All of it. I don't think Dish HAD installers back then. Hell, my kids would wonder if they even had CARS. Whatever.... one day when I called Dish for an upgrade, they sent a guy out to change the antenna, LNBs, and bring me a new receiver. I thought (then) "oh this is cool... someone else will do the work... Dish is COOL!"

HOWEVER, that apparently "tied" me to the installer. Dish never told me that. I've got a guy I want to use. But now I can't. And he told me the same thing, "You'd have to cancel service, and start over."

WHY, for gods sake? It was ME that did the initial install. So then anyone that touches it AFTER me becomes my new best friend? Sorry.... but that ticks me off that they did this to me.

I don't propose to know all of the inner workings, but don't the dealers get a residual? I would think you are tied to a dealer because if you could go anywhere you have the chance of screwing the dealer out of money he is owed.

I'd suggesting ordering the upgrade through DISH and see if that doesn't shake something loose. I was fortunate and picked the right dealer in the first place, but I can appreciate your predicament.

The ROR retailer of record is controlled by DISH even the ROR can't change it. Only the ROR and DISH are allowed to offer you upgrade promotions. So unless you want to pay RETAIL you have no option except to call DISH for your upgrade. NO dealers are not happy about the setup but we have to abide by our contracts.

Yes it kind of sucks that you don't have the freedom to move from one retailer to another, but the reason for this is the monthly residual the retailer gets on the customer.

If tieing you to the retailer wasn't in place you would have guys running around and switching out customers left and right and this would not be fair to the good guys out there.

What if a retailer becomes not a retailer?

A friend of mine's family owns an appliance store and used to be an E* retailer. Long story short, everyone thought everyone else was handling the contract renewal, and their contract expired with E*, and they lost that revenue.

What happens to any accounts that were under them? Do they get assigned to another local office or are they "up for grabs"?

I cancelled Dish before they dropped the contract, so it doesn't affect me now that I'm signed back up through Dish directly, but I'm curious.

The ROR retailer of record is controlled by DISH even the ROR can't change it. Only the ROR and DISH are allowed to offer you upgrade promotions. So unless you want to pay RETAIL you have no option except to call DISH for your upgrade. NO dealers are not happy about the setup but we have to abide by our contracts.

Or you can call DISH and request to change your Retailer of Record... I've never actually seen a customer try that, so I'm not even sure if it can be done. I mean it can physically be done in the system, I just don't know if a CSR would even try to do it. Could be interesting.

I can answer the second question. It's to prevent you from getting a great deal with one retailer, paying, jumping ship and then doing it to another retailer.

What if a retailer becomes not a retailer?

A friend of mine's family owns an appliance store and used to be an E* retailer. Long story short, everyone thought everyone else was handling the contract renewal, and their contract expired with E*, and they lost that revenue.

What happens to any accounts that were under them? Do they get assigned to another local office or are they "up for grabs"?

I cancelled Dish before they dropped the contract, so it doesn't affect me now that I'm signed back up through Dish directly, but I'm curious.

Yes. Once a retailer goes out of business his customers are up for grabs.

But how did he become the RoR if it was ME that did the initial install? I didn't ask HIM for the upgrade... I asked DISH and they SENT him.

But how did he become the RoR if it was ME that did the initial install? I didn't ask HIM for the upgrade... I asked DISH and they SENT him.

If you had no prior RoR and you do an upgrade, and provided DISH subs out the job, the sub typically becomes your RoR at least for the length of a given lease upgrade (and on the books afterwards unless changed.)

The correct answer above is that the monthly incentives (residuals) are tied to the original retailer. The residuals are tracked by the receiver number. If another retailer does an upgrade and places his receiver as primary on the account, it cancels out the residuals for the original retailer, but it doesn't transfer them to the new retailer. DISH basically gets to keep the residuals in that situation.

A customer can get their ROR changed to another retailer only if they can prove that the original ROR has blatantly refused to or was unable to service the customer.

Another retailer can perform a promotional upgrade for a customer who is not their original customer if:

1. The original ROR is no longer in business.
2. The original ROR is no longer receiving residuals on the account.
3. The customer does not have a ROR because they were a direct sales customer.

Any upgrade for a customer that is not tied to a retailer has to be pre-approved through a Service Request.

One thing to note... Just because you get approval to get upgraded by a retailer who is not your ROR, don't assume they will be compensated for servicing your account other than the installation fee for any upgrades they do on your account. The money you send in to DISH every month won't help them a bit.

Wow. Your facts are way hosed... The CEO address is answered by CSRs. They have no control of retailer business files or records. They're the LAST people that would be able to help, not the first. The first would be Retail Services, but customers can't go through them.
You must be new 'round these parts.... ;) Don't you know, these people are miracle workers ! They're saving the world when they're not helping Dish customers out !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts