AT&T may bid for EchoStar by year's end: Barron's

Saw this on my Yahoo splash page.

Seems we're definitely going to see some significant changes at Echostar soon.

Anything, Scott?

This story has always made more sense than the rumors bout d*. I personally think that those were jusst a ploy. But we will see.

the EXACT day of a AT&T takeover I CANCEL! AT&T has ripped me off twice and been very hard to deal with, they will never get another dime of my money!

hate isnt enough

Several articles today prediciting that the recent dip in E* share price due to poor third quarter numbers will hasten the acquisition. It could be. We have certainly heard about thsi for along time.

Yeah dont jump ship yet again this is speculation and they still might buy Direct TV instead.

Agreed. But I really think that the D* rumors are just a smokescreen---which does not mena that this acquisition will ever happen.

Hmm, this is very interesting.

Since At&t is already offering D service in their package with phone service, it would make more sense to buy D instead of E. This sounds like they might not have signed up a large D customers.

Does anyone know how many ppl have signed up D thru At&t?

Hmm, this is very interesting.

Since At&t is already offering D service in their package with phone service, it would make more sense to buy D instead of E. This sounds like they might not have signed up a large D customers.

Does anyone know how many ppl have signed up D thru At&t?

Actually AT&T also offers Dish Network and it has more Dish Network customers than Directv customers.

The current AT&T is really the old Cingular. It in turn was the product of two RBOCs (or Baby bells) merging. The deals to offer D8 and E* are legacy deals from the time when the RBOCs were separate.

WELL ACTUALLY,

ATT offers BOTH Dish and Directv in different parts of the country. They offer Dish in much more of the country and inherited the D* deal when they made an acquisition last year.

ATT said there were going to standardize on ONE partner going forward and announce who it was going to be in December 2007. Most analysts expect that to be Dish because Dish has a longer term relationship with SBC/ATT.

As to whether ATT would buy D* instead of Dish Network (not all of E*), most analysts thing it would be easier for ATT to come to terms with Charlie than with John Malone.

And you can look at the FCC application for license split as a Virtual FOR SALE sign on Dish Network.

The problem is more likely tax implications. If E* is split into two pieces BEFORE ATT buys Dish, Charlie pays less taxes. A lot less. But that would require waiting a long time.

At this point, who is to say what's going on?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts