How to Upgrade the LNB on a Direcway/PWay dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

snathanb

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Feb 26, 2004
DFW
Note to mods: Perhaps this belongs in the FAQ area, perhaps not. It's not going to be a review, but simply instructional.

This post will contain information on how I upgraded the LNB on my Direcway dish. The instructions will be similar for upgrading a Primestar dish, as well. This topic comes up often, so I thought it would be beneficial to post a few pictures from my upgrade process.

Background
I use an old Direcway dish for FTA. It is motorized, and I hand-built the mount from an old 18" DTV dish mount. Two reasons for this. 1) to reduce the weight on the motor. 2) So it would fit the motor mount.

The direcway dish I use has a seperate feedhorn and lbnf. This is different from what you see on most DBS system and many FTA systems. They use an LNBF which is a feedhorn and an LNB combined into a single small unit.

The LNB and Feedhorn are connected by a C-120 flange connector. Fortunately, this is a much-used standard connector that will allow the LNB portion to be upgraded, while retaining the feedhorn.

The LNBs from most Direcway and Primestar dishes are in the .6 Db range. Also, some older Primestar LNBs had seperate connections for V and H, making them more difficult to use.

Newer LNBs, such as the SNF-041, are made with a C-120 Flange, to be directly connected to these types of systems. They are .3 Db LNBs, providing the same signal quality as their much review cousins the SNH-031.

In the posts after this I will be posting pictures, with narrative.

The Original Dish

This is a photo of the original dish. Notice the big white box at the end of the feedarm. That is called the LNB shroud. The Feedhorn and the LNB itself are concealed within that box.

It is easily removed with a few screws.

Attachments

• DishBefore.jpg
    DishBefore.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 436
Dish with Shroud Removed

This is the dish with the LNB Shroud removed.

The white piece at the very end is the LNB. It is connected with 4 machine screws to the Feedhorn, the long, narrow, grey metal tube.

The LNB and Feedhorn are securely mounted to the dish with 2 machine screws.

Attachments

• BeforeNaked.jpg
    BeforeNaked.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 459
Close Up view of LNB

This is a close up view of the LNB mounted to the feedhorn.

You can clearly see the machine screws that mount the LNB to the feedhorn

Attachments

• BeforeNakedCloseUP.jpg
    BeforeNakedCloseUP.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 382
Picture of Removed LNB

This is a picture of the removed LNB sitting on a scale, so you can see the weight.

Of note are the 8 mounting holes. This is typical, if not standard, for a C-120 connector. If you look at the picture before, you will see the DWAY Feedhorn only uses 4 of the 8 holes for mounting.

Also noticed the rubber o-ring. Also typical of C-120 flange connections, and seals water from entering the LNB.

Attachments

• WeighInOld.jpg
    WeighInOld.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 325
Snf-041

This picture shows the contents of the box of the replacement LNB, and invacom SNF-041.

Has a detailed instruction sheet, the LNB, weather-proof connectors, 8 brass screws, and the rubber o-ring.

Attachments

• BoxContents.jpg
    BoxContents.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 382
Weight Comparison

This picture shows the weight of the SNF-041. Notice it is about 10% heavier than the old direcway LNB.

Attachments

• Weighin.jpg
    Weighin.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 258
LNB Comparison Pictures

The direcway and invacom LNB are very differently shaped.

Here are a few comparison pictures.

Attachments

• Profile.jpg
    Profile.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 346
  • StraightOn.jpg
    StraightOn.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 312
  • ComparisonAtDish.jpg
    ComparisonAtDish.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 342
Installing the LNB

Installing the LNB is very, very simple. It was simply a matter of removing the 4 machine screws that held on the old one, and bolting on the new LNB (making sure to install the rubber o-ring).

Note: I elected not to use the screws that came with the LNB, and used the 4 machine screws from the original setup. They were stainless steel and very high quality compared to the ones that came with the SNF-041.

Picture is of the Dish with the SNF-041 installed.

Attachments

• NakedNew.jpg
    NakedNew.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 355
Replacing the Shround

Well... that's a complicated issue.

Because of the difference in size the LNB shround does not fit.

See pic.

My original plan was to cut a notch in the shroud to fit around the end of the SNF-041.

However, that would still leave the connector exposed, as it is at the very end.

So, in the end, I decided to seal all connections, and leave it shroudless.

Attachments

• Don'tFit.jpg
    Don'tFit.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 318
Final Words

The upgrade is a quick, easy process. Discounting the time it took to take the pictures, it was a 15 minute job, at best.

There are plenty of reviews around already on the benefits and results of upgrading to an Invacom SNH/SNF-041, so I will defer to those, rather than repeat their results.

I hope you found these instructions and pictures of some use.

In a final shameless plug, I want to thank forum moderator PSB for providing the SNF-041 at a great price, which is publically available to all at:
http://www.psbsatellite.com/

AWESOME!!! :clap :clap :clap

Very well done!

I have the same setup for DirecPC, but I have a DBS LNB next to the KU band. Might have to do this too :)

(just have to get the LNB from Pete :)

Iceberg said:
AWESOME!!! :clap :clap :clap

I have the same setup for DirecPC, but I have a DBS LNB next to the KU band. Might have to do this too :)

I have a DBS LNB there, as well, I just removed it for the pictures.
When using the shroud, I was using industrial-strength velcro to hold it on (worked great!),

Without the shround, I simply have it zip-tied next to it. Works like a charm!

snathanb said:
In a final shameless plug, I want to thank forum moderator PSB for providing the SNF-041 at a great price, which is publically available to all

Not 100% true, I charge English customers more :D

Great work snathanb!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)