How well do 2 hoppers integrate?

Well its not that different in theory. Depending on what kind of processor the Hoppers have (don't recall off hand), trying to process & then stream the data can be quite a work load for any single or dual core chip.

Its a MIPs CPU -- don't recall the specs.

I suspect that they are serving the raw stream and allowing the end point (Joey or Hopper really) to do that work.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Sorry about bumping this 2 week old thread but I want to make sure I understand. I just signed back up with Dish after having been with DTV for 2.5 yrs. I ordered a Hopper w/Sling and 2 Joeys. Based on what I now know, 3 tuners isn't going to work for us so I want to switch that order to 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey. I've been trying to interpret some of the comments in this thread and haven't been totally successful. My questions are:

1) In this 2 hopper 1 joey configuration, can the joey use any of the 6 tuners freely or do you have to manually link the joey to one of the hoppers?
2) Is there a single unified DVR list that shows the recordings of both hoppers in a single list visible from both hoppers and the joey?
3) When you set up a recording from the joey, do you tell it specifically which hopper to record on or does it just pick one automatically?

Thanks for your help!

1 Joey only uses tuners on linked Hopper.
2 Hopper and Joey DVR screen has a drop down to select which Hopper's recordings to view.
3 Joey always records on linked Hopper.

Got it. Thanks.

Now I just hope I can change my order to the 2 hopper 1 joey configuration. Seems like some folks around here have had a struggle with Dish agreeing to that (seems they want to force you to have 2 joeys with 2 hoppers).

I had to take a second Joey I did not want too. I put the USB wifi stick on it and move the TV with the wireless Joey between guest bedrooms as needed.

You can always take the Joey's to get the install, then send them back. May not be the nicest thing to do, but it certainly keeps you from spending hours of time trying to get a workaround.

I was just in contact with one of Dish's online CSR's and was told that I would have to take the 2 joeys if I want 2 hoppers. But the kicker is that they have to actually install and activate the 2nd joey that I don't want and can't use since I only have 3 TV's. The CSR suggested I go buy a cheapo 4th TV that they can install to - yeah right. This is really a dumb policy.

I was just in contact with one of Dish's online CSR's and was told that I would have to take the 2 joeys if I want 2 hoppers. But the kicker is that they have to actually install and activate the 2nd joey that I don't want and can't use since I only have 3 TV's. The CSR suggested I go buy a cheapo 4th TV that they can install to - yeah right. This is really a dumb policy.

Nah. Just have the tech activate one Joey, disconnect it, then activate the next Joey. Then when the installer leaves, call Dish, they'll send out a free box to return the unwanted Joey.

Can also have the installer place a temporary tap on one of the Hopper lines, activate the Joey, then disconnect. Call Dish, return Joey.

Put a terminating resistor where they remove the second Joey.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

OK, the installer is here right now. The first thing he said was "2 hoppers and 3 joeys, right?" And I explained that I only have 3 TV's and had tried to get the CSR to let me have 2 hoppers and 1 joey and that no matter what I said, the best she would give me is "just send the joeys you don't want back after the installation". The installer just kind of shook his head, picked up his phone and got the work order changed right there. He's about done installing my 2 hoppers and 1 joey. Dish needs to update their policies to allow the customer to order what they need rather than what they want to push on the customer.

Yeah different installers react differently. Some will say they can't change the work order and can't complete without activating everything on the work order. Others can just simply change the work order. Congratulations on your new install! Love your avatar btw :D .

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Can I take the remote from my first Hopper and use it to set my timers for my new second Hopper?

Also I assume that I can use my EHD between both hoppers because it's on the same account?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)