How well would a DISH DVR fly across the lawn?

Lord_Vader

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Richmond, VA
I really want to chuck the thing out of the window when it goes into after-burner mode in the middle of the night. :mad:

I can't be the only one with a DVR in the bedroom. How do other people deal with the insane fan noise when it updates?

( I did get the update where it switched to a 3 hour hum, but now the 747 is back. )

If you are such a light sleeper that the DVR bothers you get it out of the bedroom. Use TV2 if it isn't a HDTV set or run a long HDMI if it is.

@boba, Most of the time its fine. It's only when it goes into recovery after an update. The fans run at 100% until the recovery is done.

@KAB I have it set for 9 AM and it was working for awhile. For the last 6 months or so, it disregards the setting. The last few update / recoveries were at 3:30 AM exactly, 4:30 AM exactly, and 3 AM exactly (last night). I thought it might have been a failing HD, but the exactness of the noise is why I suspect that it is an update.

I know it is a problem for some sleepers like me. I moved mine out of the bedroom and ran a cable back (and use the UHF remote). It would wake me up too.

I have it set for 9 AM and it was working for awhile. For the last 6 months or so, it disregards the setting. The last few update / recoveries were at 3:30 AM exactly, 4:30 AM exactly, and 3 AM exactly (last night).
I think a firmware update set it back to 3AM, and the other times are due to a recording going on at that time. Go back into Setup and change the darn reboot time again.

Unplug it when you go to sleep. Or just flip the switch on the surge protector.

Good night's sleep, update while you're in the shower.

File a lawsuit with Dish for causing sleep deprivation. Hell, with Dish you either already have sued, are suing currently, or are in contract negotiation hangup (aka, GOING to sue).

I dunno what model you guys have but my 722k in my bedroom never ever wakes me up. The fan is barely audible even at full speed. Otherwise I almost never hear a sound from the thing.

My other 722k is not as quiet. Can barely hear the fan though. Even when the fan goes full blast (only during updates) it's no louder than my quieter one in my bedroom.

And trust me, I am a very light sleeper.

Can't say the same thing though about my DVR 625 I used to have. Some update made the fan start to constantly run and it was annoying. On full blast during an update it was pretty darn loud too. Still never woke me up in the middle of the night though, and it was in my bedroom as well.

In my bedroom we have a cabinet with doors on it. At night we close the doors when we go to sleep and I have a fan on that makes a nice white noise so I don't hear anything.

I checked the update time last night. It was still set for 9:01 AM. I hit 'default' and then put it back to 9:01 AM again. I'll have to see if that helps. I think it may be going bad (again for the 4th time) anyway. Last time it restarted 4 times, about every 2 hours. It did the soft whirl (fans running higher, but not max) each time it restarted. I was too tired to turn on the TV to see what it was doing.

I really want to chuck the thing out of the window when it goes into after-burner mode in the middle of the night. :mad:

I can't be the only one with a DVR in the bedroom. How do other people deal with the insane fan noise when it updates?

( I did get the update where it switched to a 3 hour hum, but now the 747 is back. )
I have always thought mine sounded like a jet engine also and use to use it as an alarm clock. Then I got use to it and now, with L670, it roars for a second.

But I would imagine that it would fly better if you duct tape it to a dish. And remember "Flat Flips Fly Straight".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts