how will dish know about the lan connection?

rjousuf

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 6, 2004
When a receiver is connected to the phone line, the phone number of the account holder's address is in their system and when the receiver calls back they know its coming from that address and phone number and not from another house or phone number. I am hearing that soon i will be able to connect to the LAN thing in the back of the receiver and if i dont have a phone line, avoide the phone charge by doing that. I do have cable net and router. So how will dish know if the reciever is in my house or somwhere else? Will they need my IP address or somthign like that?
thanks

Since most folks with broadband connections have dynamic IP addresses that won't really work. An IP address can be pinned down to a particular region (I think the most specific you can get is the city) but I don't know of a way to pin an IP to a physical address short of contacting the ISP and having them find out which user that address was assigned to at a particular time. Not really practical for E*'s needs. This is just a guess but they may just use the MAC address of the user's cable/DSL modem.

Since most folks with broadband connections have dynamic IP addresses that won't really work. An IP address can be pinned down to a particular region (I think the most specific you can get is the city) but I don't know of a way to pin an IP to a physical address short of contacting the ISP and having them find out which user that address was assigned to at a particular time. Not really practical for E*'s needs. This is just a guess but they may just use the MAC address of the user's cable/DSL modem.
The closest they will get with my cable provider is a city 55 miles away. I doubt the MAC address of my FW/Router port will be of any value to Dish Network. Offhand, I have a virtual phone number assigned to me by my VOIP provider. If a customer wishes for their physical address to remain annonymous they should just purchase the equipment, set-up auto billing, and use a friend or relatives address. I doubt E* will spend any time and money tracking down a customers real address.

I dont think they are worried about someone with one reciever... If you have 2 or 3 or more recievers, they should all 'phone home' with the same phone number *or* the same IP address... For those people sharing recievers, the other reciever would have a different IP and get an audit probablly... I would also probablly guess if you had one reciever phoning home by landline and others by IP, Im sure that would trigger the audit nazi's too....

Since most folks with broadband connections have dynamic IP addresses that won't really work. An IP address can be pinned down to a particular region (I think the most specific you can get is the city) but I don't know of a way to pin an IP to a physical address short of contacting the ISP and having them find out which user that address was assigned to at a particular time.

Depending on the ISP; they can pin you down to a smaller area than that.

For DSL users; they can pin you down to a Central Office. To get DSL service you generally have to be within 3-4 miles of either the CO or one of the COs remote terminals. Is that good enough? I'm not Dish I don't know.

Cable Cos should be able to track you down to a node which is also going to be "in the neighborhood".

Both of these require cooperation from the ISP which is not a given.

Not really practical for E*'s needs. This is just a guess but they may just use the MAC address of the user's cable/DSL modem.

You do realize that everything behind the router is going to be proxied, right? All devices will appear to come from one IP address / MAC Address pair.

So what would they look for? One account with multiple MACs that don't match the receivers MACs or multiple IP Addresses with different MACs.

The closest they will get with my cable provider is a city 55 miles away. I doubt the MAC address of my FW/Router port will be of any value to Dish Network. Offhand, I have a virtual phone number assigned to me by my VOIP provider. If a customer wishes for their physical address to remain annonymous they should just purchase the equipment, set-up auto billing, and use a friend or relatives address. I doubt E* will spend any time and money tracking down a customers real address.

Without assistance; true enough. With assistance? They can get closer than that.

Will they get that assistance? X.

Cheers,

My home IP address on the Cable Modem which is used upstairs shows me being in RHODE ISLAND (while I am in Central CT)

However my DSL connection down the stairs (my wifes company got her a DSL line to use for her "Office Computer" (she works from home) it shows that I am about a town away from where I really am, even though the phone company is 2 streets over from my house.

The best analogy for Dish to follow is that in the old way, all registered receivers must call in from the same phone number. In the new way, all capable receivers should be checking in from the same web address, as most residential customers have one dynamic IP address that is used in conjunction with a broadband router. A simple check daily would determine if all receivers on a single account originated their transmissions from the same IP address. That would take into account for wireless dropouts (on a wireless system) or broadband outages. They could sent the "alert Dish Network" threshold at one week or something. Maybe after two weeks the registered phone number gets an audit call.

Just thinking out loud.

I dont think they are worried about someone with one reciever... If you have 2 or 3 or more recievers, they should all 'phone home' with the same phone number *or* the same IP address... For those people sharing recievers, the other reciever would have a different IP and get an audit probablly... I would also probablly guess if you had one reciever phoning home by landline and others by IP, Im sure that would trigger the audit nazi's too....

so how does people "move" their recievers? i am still very much confused bout that topic.

What happens if only 2 out of 3 receivers are connected to a phone line?

E* will really hate me I have 2x 20/5 connections on a load balancing router, which has 2 ip addresses. I know there are a few site that don't like load balancing connections like Logitech Harmony site which will log you after after a few seconds when ip don't match.

Interesting

I have been monitoring my two 622's since they went on my lan, it is asking dns once a minute to check in with DISH Network -- Home and that contegix managed thing that has been mentioned before.

I would bet that they check in with a SSL page through dishnetwork and have to come fromt he same IP.

It is strange however that it keeps asking for the dns, usually OS will cache it for the specified time period, however this doesn't seemt o be the case..

Here is the log:
00:14:46 Request from 192.168.2.107 for A-record for DISH Network -- Home.
00:14:46 Sending reply to 192.168.2.107 about A-record for DISH Network -- Home
00:14:46 -> Answer: A-record for DISH Network -- Home. = 205.172.147.51
00:14:47 Request from 192.168.2.107 for A-record for refactor02.managed.contegix.com.
00:14:47 Sending reply to 192.168.2.107 about A-record for refactor02.managed.contegix.com.:
00:14:47 -> Answer: A-record for refactor02.managed.contegix.com. = 63.246.23.135
00:15:18 Request from 192.168.2.107 for A-record for DISH Network -- Home.
00:15:18 Sending request to 205.172.146.21 (ns-2.echostar.com.) for A-record for DISH Network -- Home.
00:15:18 Reply from 205.172.146.21 about A-record for DISH Network -- Home
00:15:18 -> Answer: A-record for DISH Network -- Home. = 205.172.147.51
00:15:18 Sending reply to 192.168.2.107 about A-record for DISH Network -- Home
00:15:18 -> Answer: A-record for DISH Network -- Home. = 205.172.147.51
00:15:19 Request from 192.168.2.107 for A-record for refactor02.managed.contegix.com.
00:15:19 Sending reply to 192.168.2.107 about A-record for refactor02.managed.contegix.com.:
00:15:19 -> Answer: A-record for refactor02.managed.contegix.com. = 63.246.23.135
00:15:50 Request from 192.168.2.107 for A-record for DISH Network -- Home.
00:15:50 Sending reply to 192.168.2.107 about A-record for DISH Network -- Home
00:15:50 -> Answer: A-record for DISH Network -- Home. = 205.172.147.51
00:15:51 Request from 192.168.2.107 for A-record for refactor02.managed.contegix.com.
00:15:51 Sending reply to 192.168.2.107 about A-record for refactor02.managed.contegix.com.:
00:15:51 -> Answer: A-record for refactor02.managed.contegix.com. = 63.246.23.135

When a receiver is connected to the phone line, the phone number of the account holder's address is in their system and when the receiver calls back they know its coming from that address and phone number and not from another house or phone number. I am hearing that soon i will be able to connect to the LAN thing in the back of the receiver and if i dont have a phone line, avoide the phone charge by doing that. I do have cable net and router. So how will dish know if the reciever is in my house or somwhere else? Will they need my IP address or somthign like that?
thanks

The receiver will phone home over the internet and your receiver ID is tied to your account. DiSH is not really using your phone number to police the location of your receiver. They just need to know if they need to bill you for PPV events.

They may also be relying on all the receivers talking to eachother over the ethernet. I wonder if you have some on ethernet and others on a phone line if you will get an audit if they do not "see" eachother. Each 622 might call in over the ethernet and report any other 622s it sees. This is probably too complex for Dish though... They probably decided it was worth more to have the customers without a landline than to worry about account stacking.

The whole thing with checking IPS is kind of silly. IP packets can be routed easily and you would just need to vpn or bridge connections with a friend and all requests would appear from the same location.

You can do this with VOIP now, http/https will make it even easier.

Up to 93 times
I know it is just dns traffic, but seems needless...

Your DNS server may be setting the TTL for the DNS answer to a low number. I know mine (using dnsmasq) is typically 60 seconds, so requests every 60 seconds would cause a DNS lookup.

I have 3 receivers, but only one is connected to a phone line and I've never had a problem. (YET):D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts