How will Dish market Eastern Arc?

I agree, they aren't going to market or publicize it and when we all find out and call to ask to be put on this plan we will be told that there is no such thing. This is the typical Dish roll-out plan.

Thanks for the info Scott. I am looking forward to a one dish system, plus an all MPEG 4 HD and SD system, and my HD locals. Just hope it happens before September 1st. That will make for a great football season. Go Saints, and LSU Tigers.

I agree, they aren't going to market or publicize it and when we all find out and call to ask to be put on this plan we will be told that there is no such thing. This is the typical Dish roll-out plan.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but if the service does offer a significant PQ upgrade on SD channels, then they are stupid ntot to market it.

Are we even sure that PQ will be better with MPEG4. I know that Dish get better capacity with MPEG4, but how far they crank up the compression is up to them. So they can still crank it up to today's MPEG2 standard if they feel like it and leave us with pitiful PQ.

Are we even sure that PQ will be better with MPEG4. I know that Dish get better capacity with MPEG4, but how far they crank up the compression is up to them. So they can still crank it up to today's MPEG2 standard if they feel like it and leave us with pitiful PQ.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. They should be using MPEG4 to give us a reasonable simulation of lossless compression. What they'll probably do is just use it to give us more channels that we don't want, and they'll look as lossy as they do now.

This is a cost cutting measure by Dish, as over the years, I have talked to 2 people at Dish who have said that installing a 2nd dish is "expensive" or "costs a lot of money" (relative terms perhaps, but remember, they are paying for the installation of thousands, hundreds of thousands, eventually millions, of dishes and a few bucks saved per 2nd dish install is BIG $$$ for Dish) for Dish--not necessarily for retailers--but for Dish. There is also the great hesitation by some people who refuse to have more than one dish on their property (I know a lot people like this). They think multiple dishes look "tacky." They are losing potential subs.

As for all MPEG4, I agree that it does not necessarily mean a superior PQ. We have to wait and see what Dish does. However, I do think that Dish should try to make SD on MPEG4 superior to the current SD PQ because with the growing number of large screen TV's, particularly unkind to SD flat panels, coming into homes, Dish SD currently looks like UUHGG, CRAP. SD on my Sony HD CRT looks quite good, but not on the Sharp LCD. Yes, Sharp is notorious for not displaying SD well at all, but few LCD flats display it all that well, and America has fallen in love with the LCD because of $$$$$, as it really is among the inferior of HDTV displays.

I don't know about Mpeg 4 with DISH on sd channels but on my locals in SD through DIrectv they are in mpeg 4 and they look pretty sharp. So if mpeg 4 looks like that on sd it will definately be an improvement.

Next month a new dish 1000.4 sat dish. IT should be showed & talked about this month on the chat . IF they have a chat this month. The new service starts next month from what I hear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts