How would this be wired? Can you backfeed with D* on same cable?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bertbarndoor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Just wondering, I currently have a plain old dual lnb standard dish on my garage. I have one cable going right from the dish to my bedroom (which the dish is just outside) and I have the other cable going to my downstairs TV. I currently have two standard receivers.

I'd like to upgrade to a high definition DVR for the living room and ditch the receiver in my bedroom. (I never watch different shows in the bedroom)

So, basically I want an HD DVR in my living room (with two feeds for the PVR function I suppose) and also the ability to watch standard definition TV in my bedroom which is being controlled by the unit downstairs. How can I accompish this? Best way? If I don't have to run a second wire to the living room from the dish, that would be nice. If I don't have to run another wire from the DVR downstairs up to my tv in the bedroom, that would be good too. (backfeed?)

bertbarndoor said:
Just wondering, I currently have a plain old dual lnb standard dish on my garage. I have one cable going right from the dish to my bedroom (which the dish is just outside) and I have the other cable going to my downstairs TV. I currently have two standard receivers.

I'd like to upgrade to a high definition DVR for the living room and ditch the receiver in my bedroom. (I never watch different shows in the bedroom)

So, basically I want an HD DVR in my living room (with two feeds for the PVR function I suppose) and also the ability to watch standard definition TV in my bedroom which is being controlled by the unit downstairs. How can I accompish this? Best way? If I don't have to run a second wire to the living room from the dish, that would be nice. If I don't have to run another wire from the DVR downstairs up to my tv in the bedroom, that would be good too. (backfeed?)

The dual lnb dish by itself can drive 2 tuners, at the moment, you are utilizing both, so to drive a second tuner you will need a 2x4(or 3x4) cascadable multiswitch, the 2 coax from your dish will go into the 2 side of the 2x4, then the 4 side of the 2x4 will drive the tuners (up to 4 now), 2 runs for each dvr, and one coax for each non-dvr, and no, splitters won't work. ;)

A backfeed is when you split a line from the output of a receiver to 2 or more TVs, this will make it so the same picture will be on both TVs, but this is just RF, and cannot be used to drive D* tuners or LNBs.

Last edited:
If you plan to watch HD programming, you will need, at minimum, the Phase III dish. If you plan to watch HD locals (if available), you will need the new AT9 dish. I don't think it is mandatory to have 2 cables from the dish to the DVR, if you don't plan to use the "watch one pgm, record another" feature.:flag:

Unfortunately, you will need a separate coax run for each tuner that you want to use in the DVR. (Unless of course you want to record the same thing on both tuners.) :(

mcbeevee said:
If you plan to watch HD programming, you will need, at minimum, the Phase III dish. If you plan to watch HD locals (if available), you will need the new AT9 dish. I don't think it is mandatory to have 2 cables from the dish to the DVR, if you don't plan to use the "watch one pgm, record another" feature.:flag:

Ok, so I've now determined I need two lines running to my DVR from the PHASE 3 dish, so I guess I will have to run another line if I want to use the record one, watch another live feature (or record two shows at the same time). Fine. Now, can I backfeed the out put from the DVR back over one of the lines up to the dish where I currently have a line running to my bedroom? How would I do this?:confused:

And...

The answer would be a set of diplexors, run a new line from the livingroom to the bedroom or to run a 3rd line from the dish to the receiver, either way you will want to run a second line from the dish to the living room.

So basically you would have 1 line straight from the dish to the livingroom, a second line from the dish into the sat side of the 1st diplexor, "output" of the diplexor along the second line to the livingroom into the "input" of the 2nd diplexor, sat side to the receiver. The backfeed would be run off the tv out of the receiver into a splitter, then to the TV side of the diplexor, over the second coax, out of the TV side of the first diplexor and into the line to the bedroom.

That being said, diplexors will only work if you are NOT using the 5 lnb dish/MPEG4 HD receivers and if you have a RF out of the receiver (not all HD receivers have it although you could use a Video to RF adapter if necessary)

The best way in my opinion is to run separate lines but that would be up to you.

WTT

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)