What's so great about the HR20? Why the hype?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bertbarndoor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I am thinking of going with one, but why is everyone banannas about it?

Also, what is this new 5lnb dish and what does it do? Is it the same as the phase3 dish? If not, how is it better?

Just wondering. Thanks. -Rob :confused:

The 5lnb dish allows one to receive signals from the new satellites D* has launched.

The HR20 is the new HD DVR from D*. We've all been waiting for it for a very long time, so the proverbial bananas are merely an orgasm of excitement over the latest tech thingy.

Ted

Agreed. I wouldn't trade my HD Tivo for that quite yet! With no OTA capability and with D* knocking out HD channels on weekends because they dont' have any space left for NFL Sunday (?) why the heck waste money right now??? And Now they also have released the new software for the HD tivo so it's much faster!! :up

ncted said:
The 5lnb dish allows one to receive signals from the new satellites D* has launched.

The HR20 is the new HD DVR from D*. We've all been waiting for it for a very long time, so the proverbial bananas are merely an orgasm of excitement over the latest tech thingy.

Ted

ncted said:

Ted

What kind of new channels? If I go with Platinum plus the HD, how can I get EVEN MORE channles? What are they?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just go with the HD Tivo? :confused:

bertbarndoor said:
What kind of new channels? If I go with Platinum plus the HD, how can I get EVEN MORE channles? What are they?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just go with the HD Tivo? :confused:

The H20 and HR20 receivers decode mpeg4 signals. That means you can get local channels and rsn's in your area in hd from the dish, if they are available in your area.

raoul5788 said:
The H20 and HR20 receivers decode mpeg4 signals. That means you can get local channels and rsn's in your area in hd from the dish, if they are available in your area.

So if I don't qualify for any locals or dont care about regional sport networks, then why do I even care about mpeg4? Is that the only reason? If I just want an HD DVR, then what receiver should I get?

-Rob

As of now, yes, thats the only reason. I assume there will be more reasons in the future. For now, all I can see is that it allows customers to record and get there HD locals and local RSN's. However, there are more features I'm sure in regards to the receiver itself.

bertbarndoor said:
So if I don't qualify for any locals or dont care about regional sport networks, then why do I even care about mpeg4? Is that the only reason? If I just want an HD DVR, then what receiver should I get?

-Rob
As for right now, it probably doesn't matter to you, for the sports fan , to get thier RSN's in HD is a big deal.
Also, eventually all channels will be in the MPeg4 format
I feel when D* will be begin adding channels they will be on MPEG4

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
As for right now, it probably doesn't matter to you, for the sports fan , to get thier RSN's in HD is a big deal.
Also, eventually all channels will be in the MPeg4 format
I feel when D* will be begin adding channels they will be on MPEG4

Jimbo

So, which HD DVR should I get then?

bertbarndoor said:
So, which HD DVR should I get then?
I personally am going with the HR20-700.
1. it's MPEG4 capable, programming will be migrating that way ( no timetable yet)
2. It's new equipment, the other HD DVR is several years old now, I'd rather get the new stuff and figure it out , than know I spent good money onold technology.
3. the OTA tuner will be turned on, hopefully in October or sooner, thats a speculative guess.

jmo,

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

How would this be wired? Can you backfeed with D* on same cable?

2 hr20 dvr's ordered through customer retention

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)