Howard Stern doing Live DISH Ads

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I am listening to Howard Stern on Sirius and to my surprise Howard is doing a live commercial for DISH talking about the MLB Strike Zone.

Got to admit I was / am kind of surprised. :)

Yea I have noticed more and more dish advertising.... If they are hitting the streets that hard, the sub losses must be bad. I have noticed EPIX advertising here, with the dish branding in it.

No I don't think they are having sub loses. In fact I believe business has picked up for them. But I do believe they are finding that advertising works. I am just surprised they are paying Stern for live reads. :)

No I don't think they are having sub loses. In fact I believe business has picked up for them. But I do believe they are finding that advertising works. I am just surprised they are paying Stern for live reads. :)
That's why you purchase advertising! :D It's all cycles... I would be surprised if we see Directv with their first sub loss in the future. All though, they might be saved by NFLST. Dish did desperately need to get out in public view with advertising.. Now they just need some national TV spots that work! Hopefully they can keep these subs in the longterm!

Talked to a local installer doing an install at the neighbors house. I asked him about his Hoppa installs and he just snickered, "And I thought the 722 TV1 and TV2 was confusing for people!" He said he wished Dish would come clean about their Hoppa only having 3 tuners and sharing in the home. He is really tired of having to go back to jobs all the time...some are hurting his numbers as they getting hit with TCs due to people not understanding the 3 tuner thing. He's also had quite a few installs where he ripped out the equipment before he left since the customer got mad when they tried things out that day.

I will be very interested in seeing the numbers this new system has turned.

digiblur said:
Talked to a local installer doing an install at the neighbors house. I asked him about his Hoppa installs and he just snickered, "And I thought the 722 TV1 and TV2 was confusing for people!" He said he wished Dish would come clean about their Hoppa only having 3 tuners and sharing in the home. He is really tired of having to go back to jobs all the time...some are hurting his numbers as they getting hit with TCs due to people not understanding the 3 tuner thing. He's also had quite a few installs where he ripped out the equipment before he left since the customer got mad when they tried things out that day.

The majority of this could be avoided by him explaining the differences in the systems to the customer before starting. Granted, not everyone will follow unless you can find a way to make it familiar to them. Most customer issues could be resolved by getting a second hopper vs 3 Joey's. It is a bit more costly upfront, but the receiver fees are the same. And you gain 3 more tuners. You can swap what hopper your joey is on with the remote, so long as you don't have more than 4 or 5 joeys

Dish has never claimed you could watch 4 live shows at once, the only thing I consider somewhat misleading is how they advertise the hopper being able to record 6 shows at once, they don't stress its only for 3 hours a night during primetime.

But this is due to people seeing an ad and not reading the fine print.

The majority of this could be avoided by him explaining the differences in the systems to the customer before starting. Granted, not everyone will follow unless you can find a way to make it familiar to them. Most customer issues could be resolved by getting a second hopper vs 3 Joey's. It is a bit more costly upfront, but the receiver fees are the same. And you gain 3 more tuners. You can swap what hopper your joey is on with the remote, so long as you don't have more than 4 or 5 joeys

Dish has never claimed you could watch 4 live shows at once, the only thing I consider somewhat misleading is how they advertise the hopper being able to record 6 shows at once, they don't stress its only for 3 hours a night during primetime.

But this is due to people seeing an ad and not reading the fine print.

My installer explained the 3 tuner issues right up front before starting. This is the proper way to begin with a whole new technology.

My installer explained the 3 tuner issues right up front before starting. This is the proper way to begin with a whole new technology.

With everything being timed and pay cut on jobs, most installers are forced to just throw it in and get to the next one in order to put a meal on the table for the evening.

That's what lead me to cancellation with Comcast... I was fortunate enough to have an upfront installer at the time of installation, wich lead me to call uverse. With comcast its worse as thier DVR only has TWO tuners! Are you kidding me!

Speaking of DISH advertising... On tinypic I noticed that there was a DISH ad in the Captcha. I had to type "Switch to DISH Today." As if Captchas weren't annoying enough :p .

...wich lead me to call uverse.
U-verse is awful. Not only does their HD suck, you can only have 1 tiny DVR, and can only tune in to 4 channels at the same time. At least with 2 Hoppers you can have 6 tuners... To make U-verse even worse, it can only record 3 of it's crummy HD at a time...

That's why you purchase advertising! :D It's all cycles... I would be surprised if we see Directv with their first sub loss in the future. All though, they might be saved by NFLST. Dish did desperately need to get out in public view with advertising.. Now they just need some national TV spots that work! Hopefully they can keep these subs in the longterm!

Actually the national ads are working. These are the best ads I've seen Dish run. By far the most response I've seen.

Speaking of DISH advertising... On tinypic I noticed that there was a DISH ad in the Captcha. I had to type "Switch to DISH Today." As if Captchas weren't annoying enough :p .

U-verse is awful. Not only does their HD suck, you can only have 1 tiny DVR, and can only tune in to 4 channels at the same time. At least with 2 Hoppers you can have 6 tuners... To make U-verse even worse, it can only record 3 of it's crummy HD at a time...

Its acutally not as bad as it was.. It seems to be hit or miss.. Some channels look stunning, and just as good as DIRECTV! Other's you can notice the bitrate shaveing and bitstarving. In our house, the 4 tuners will work well on most days. Also, ATT is trying to deploy a 6 stream profile, allthough I dont see how they can do it with out deploying fiber. I would consider dish and switch in a heart beat if they did one thing... Offered all of the RSN's in HD full time. Till then, I cant seriously consider dish. Also, recording 3 HD at a time isnt an issue as I have not come into a case where I needed to record more than 3 things at once.

Its acutally not as bad as it was.. It seems to be hit or miss.. Some channels look stunning, and just as good as DIRECTV! Other's you can notice the bitrate shaveing and bitstarving. In our house, the 4 tuners will work well on most days. Also, ATT is trying to deploy a 6 stream profile, allthough I dont see how they can do it with out deploying fiber. I would consider dish and switch in a heart beat if they did one thing... Offered all of the RSN's in HD full time. Till then, I cant seriously consider dish. Also, recording 3 HD at a time isnt an issue as I have not come into a case where I needed to record more than 3 things at once.

U-verse can look OK on certain programs that don't have a lot of movement, but watching football was horrific when I had their TV. It was almost embarrassing when one of my friends said that YouTube looks better. I still have the Internet portion of U-verse, so I still follow U-verse's "development" AKA copper milking, however I don't see their new 45Mb profile or whatever coming out anytime soon. I really don't like their DVR interface either, but hey, to each their own... Personally I'm getting 2H/2J tomorrow and I'm not looking back!

I noticed yesterday that the local satellite installer has a billboard up advertizing the hopper. If I wasn't driving at the time, I would of snapped a picture with my phone. Pretty cool for a rural Wisconsin town if you ask me.

Actually the national ads are working. These are the best ads I've seen Dish run. By far the most response I've seen.

Think how much business they'd drum up with really top notch ones!

I have a lot of hope for the new guy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)