How's Dish going to put more HD up on 110/119/61.5?

Don't forget the voom wildcard. They should be adding Starz shortly & Playboy HD in January. Others are scheduled for the very near future, too. If they get their act together and start pulling subs from E* and D* in any significant numbers then Charlie will have to pull that rabbit out of his butt. Personally, I hope v* is phenomenally successful if only to give the other guys a wake up call. We can only benefit from their success.

I am beginning to think VOOM is not the way Dish will go... Even if VOOM were to agree to start taking offers today, by the time it was all said and done it would take 18+ months.

I suspect that Dish will more likely work out a deal for another DBS slot. Dish has been pursuing other slots from other countries. Like 105 (DBS not the FSS that they already lease) could be used. If Dish were to finally work out a deal with SES and the FCC to broadcast DBS from 105 they could have another 32 CONUS transponders to do HD.

A DBS slot would have the advantage of an 18" Dish. And if it is a close slot like 105 they could put it on a "normal" sized triple dish like DIRECTV's.

Maybe they are feeling like a breakthrough is about to come out of the FCC and they will snag themselves a slot or 2 for additional DBS frequencies.

This combined with the already announce spot beam satellite they have on order would allow them to move all the LIL from the wings and pretty much serve all DMAs from 105-121. Almost everyone woudl have a single dish solution (except internationals, but really what competition do they have in internationals?).

Here is a easy one ,Charlie find space(61.5 or 110)add StarzHD and I buy Starz's movie package-you make more money(I assume they are more people like me who will do the same)

I thought the whole point in having FSS at 105 instead of DBS was to prevent interference of 101 and 110 that it was too close together to have a DBS slot located there.

Stargazer said:
I thought the whole point in having FSS at 105 instead of DBS was to prevent interference of 101 and 110 that it was too close together to have a DBS slot located there.

Well that is what is being argued at the FCC. SES is claiming it will not interfere that 4.5 degrees is plenty and 9 is over kill. If you have a poorly aimed dish it probably would hurt you some.

So far there has not been a ruling out of the FCC. Dish is supposedly working on around 5 DBS slots from other countries. If they get 1 or more they will really be able to expand capacity again.

Dish would have a great advantage if they get some DBS slots at 4.5 degree spacing instead of the 9 degree spacing that there is now. This would prevent them from having to use SuperDish for the majority of the markets, only for those markets that really need them or for niche programming such as internationals or the smallest DMA's that are left to add once the DBS slots are filled up, or perhaps additional HD channels that they could put up for no additional charge for those willing to put up the SuperDish to get them in which would entice people to purchase a SuperDish without it being an expense to Dish Network.