How's Dish going to put more HD up on 110/119/61.5?

rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
OK, now that Charlie has said that Superdish won't be used for HD for the time being how's he going to be able to offer additional HD channels in the short term (I'm taking within the next 1 to 3 months)?

We already know that 61.5 is out of space since they've lost the STA transponders to Voom/Rainbow, heck we even lost the PPV-HD channel.

Looking at Lyngsat it looks like TP20 is available on 110 and everything on 119 is taken.

So what does the group think will be happening? Is E* going to not be able to offer new HD for the foreseeable future?

Well Tp 20 at 110 now has Springfield, MO. as of this morning.

The locals on 110 ConUS are somewhat spread out. They could consolidate those and probaly come up with a couple of Tps if they want.

Since Discovery HD Theater has left 61.5 and 148 there is space for one more at 61.5. Maybe put the PPV back there.

JohnH said:
Since Discovery HD Theater has left 61.5 and 148 there is space for one more at 61.5. Maybe put the PPV back there.

DOH! Forgot about that happening. OK, so that's room for one more channel. If I had a vote I'd go for Starz-HD vs. the PPV.

Unless Charlie and the boys have a rabbit they can pull out of their hats I don't have a real warm feeling about E* being able to add more HD for the near term. Should be very interesting on 12/8 and 9PM EST.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Actually from what I understand it IS on 105 too, just not available to anyone.

Likely will not be if HD not going there, I mean to legitimate card holders.

Maybe Charlie is going to buy voom satellite and use it for ALL of his future hd plans. Then he would be able to use the existing sat from Voom and he wouldn't have to do anything more for hd then they already have for customers up to now. Voom isn't going to make it anyway and everyone has predicted that they will sell to either Dish or Directv in the near future.

At 110, the following TP's have nothing on them, 20, 28, 30, 32. I assume some of those aren't licensed to E*. Is that correct? Which ones? And, could E* license them from the licensee?

Also, TP 12 only has Knoxville locals. Probably just Charlie wanting to have access to his hometown stuff. I'd bet that one wil be used for more national stuff.

How many TP's are open right now, including the one with Knoxville locals?

Mike D - CO5 said:
Maybe Charlie is going to buy voom satellite and use it for ALL of his future hd plans. Then he would be able to use the existing sat from Voom and he wouldn't have to do anything more for hd then they already have for customers up to now. Voom isn't going to make it anyway and everyone has predicted that they will sell to either Dish or Directv in the near future.

That may happen, but what's Charlie and Co. going to do in the next few months? There's HD programming out there now that E* isn't carrying and more coming soon. If E* said they were going to buy Voom today it would probably be close to a year before the government would let the deal close.

With Superdish 105 we could see how E* had a bunch of new capacity they could use to get these new services up and running. It's been mentioned that maybe they'd start to cut back on the bandwidth of the current HD channels, like D* does, resulting in a slightly degraded picture (which is one of the reasons I haven't flipped to D*) so he can add a channel or two. If they do how much yelling will the current subs do? It would have been nice if Charlie said how he was going to accomplish this so we can use our time more productively vs. all this guess on what they're planning to do.

DBS Pro said:
At 110, the following TP's have nothing on them, 20, 28, 30, 32. I assume some of those aren't licensed to E*. Is that correct? Which ones? And, could E* license them from the licensee?
28-30-32 are D* and in use. They have 5 HD channels, four "Jade" channels and CCTV4. (OK, the bird is at 109.8 - but that's the license!)

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/america.shtml

TB20 is not vacant - Springfield is there. (Homer is happy.)

JL

Scott Greczkowski said:
Mike are you having login problems again? :D

Yeah Scott, I think I will have to be a guest from now on since this one website won't allow me back on.

I even deleted it from my favorite list and went back in and it still won't let me. It only worked from that first time you helped me. As soon as I turned off my computer and went back later and tried to get back on it wouldn't let me.

Vote for starz HD too! Today I received a call from telemarketing for Dish where she stated they just began a starz promotion. Hmmmmm??? No info from the telemarketing gal on starz HD. Any of you with insider contacts can find out?

Mike- have you tried to delete your cookies? Sometimes that will correct weird things like you describe with logging in. Used to have similar issues with AVS like you have here. It was a cookie thingie.

Mike D - CO5 said:

Charlie must have something big up sleeve to stop this whole HD Superdish thing in it's tracks? I hope it's foresaking a short-term mess for something much better 6 months out. Let's hope for a magic rabbit.

As long as D* dont add there is no compeling reason for E* to add.

They can get some room by moving internationals from 61 and 110 to 121 but no more than 1 transponder.

D* wont add HD till fall 04 cuz they dont have room yet.......by then charlie will have his new bird at the 105 so dont expect any new HD till fall 04.

I still think when the new bird hits the 105 HD will settle in on the 105.

who knows.... lots can happen in a year.

GregN said:
As long as D* dont add there is no compeling reason for E* to add.

Don't forget that Charlie has to worry about Comcast/TimeWarner/Cox/Cablevision/Adelphia and all the other cable companies out there that are starting to offer HD programming. They've also said they would be offering their version of a HD PVR. So he really doesn't have just one company to worry about but the rest of the cable industry is his compition. My local cable co is just about to finish their upgrade and is supposed to offer HD channels. I'll have to see what their offerings will be and pricing and maybe neither DBS company will have me as a customer.