How's the 622 SD Picuture Quality?

wgeorge

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Hawaii
Ignore subj, typo..

Won't get our new 622 till 2/21 but have read in a review that the SD quality was not up to the level of the SD receivers.

We have a 522 and the quality is pretty nice. Since most of our viewing will be in SD, I was wondering what current users feel about the SD out of the 622 when viewing SD programming, not downconverted HD.

Thanks

Last edited:
Also noticed it depends on TV.
On latest Sony 50" SXRD 1080p it is great.
However, on Mitsubishi 65' 831 1080p is not so good as on Sony.

I would say that most SD looks worse on an HD set. Channels that are overly compressed really show that ona n HD set and when it comes froma source likea 622 the difference is greater still.

having said that it is watchable---it just makes you want to watch HD.

How many people have SD hooked up to a huge TV? I think that is where most of the perception comes from.

They had SD on a 30" then they get a 622 and it is hooked to a 50"+ so the SD channels are going to look worse than they did on the 30"

Accoriding to Swani on the tv predictions website , it is the tv that matters not the receiver. Swani said the the 4 top hdtvs that made sd look like near dvd quality are all Toshiba brands. I have 2 hd Toshibas in my house and one sd one and I have to say that my sd looks just like near dvd quality on most premium channels . That and using the movie mode. The regular national channels look pretty good too. The over compressed SD locals from Dish look like crap on any hd tv.

The bigger TVs definitely make a difference in the perceived PQ differences for SD when going to an HD receiver like the 622. However, part of the perception may also stem from the fact that once people see HD for the first time with a 622, the SD will look that much worse to them. It may also make a difference with the connection you use. Watching SD through component on my old 811 or my SA8300HD (Cox cable) looks generally worse than with the RF, RCA, or S-video connections. (My Toshiba upconverts the RF input only to 1080i).

Accoriding to Swani on the tv predictions website , it is the tv that matters not the receiver. Swani said the the 4 top hdtvs that made sd look like near dvd quality are all Toshiba brands. I have 2 hd Toshibas in my house and one sd one and I have to say that my sd looks just like near dvd quality on most premium channels . That and using the movie mode. The regular national channels look pretty good too. The over compressed SD locals from Dish look like crap on any hd tv.

Typical Swanni. He writes an article plagarizing others work. The SD article referenced is basically "Consumer Reports says these are best for SD on HD.", he's ripped us off before too.

What a hack.

I have a 622 hooked up to a Toshiba 32" LCD via HDMI. I run it at 720p. The SD channels look far better upconverted by the 622 then when I had my 522 hooked up to the LCD via S-video (had to do that for like a week). So, if you have an HDTV it makes SD channels look a lot better (but they are still SD).

But all that being said I still think that Toshiba looked best on Dish sat tv for both sd and hd channels. I actually went shopping with my old 721 receiver in tow and plugged it in to each hd tv to see what sd would look like over s-video. Then I went into Sears and they had a 51" Toshiba hdtv hooked up to a old 6000 dish hd receiver using component. THat one tv stood out from all the others on the wall. It was brighter , more colorful and the picture looked excellent and they were showing an old color episode of the Andy Griffith show . I knew then that if a 40 year old color episode on Tvland looked that good on the tv over satellite it was the tv for me. I bought a 57" hdtv version at Best buy and I love Toshiba. They definately do a great job with satellite tv and sd channels over it.

The SD looks fairly good on our old Pioneer 58" (ModelSD-582HD5) tube projection monitor with the 522. When we had "C" band high definition it would knock your socks off. Of course we used the "S" input for SD and the component for HD from an HD decoder box.

My concern was that since all processing will be now done in the 622 and SD will now come through the component input there could be degradation due processing.

How many people have SD hooked up to a huge TV? I think that is where most of the perception comes from.

They had SD on a 30" then they get a 622 and it is hooked to a 50"+ so the SD channels are going to look worse than they did on the 30"

I have a 211 and a 721 hooked up to my projector which is projecting onto 106" screen. It doesn't look too bad to me. It's not good but at the same time what do you expect on that big of a TV. Now HD is amazing but SD really isn't that bad. You see some pixelation but definately watchable to me. The biggest pixelation area's are probably around works like a tv channel logo. Really to me though it doesn't look too bad and I'm usually very picky.

I have a Toshiba 42in Plasma in my bedroom.. And I can tell you the quality on SD is excellent. Much better than any other tv I have. My projector has pretty crappy SD, But then I don't use it for anything but HD. As a dealer and installer I see many different types of TV's and most just look pretty bad in SD from a 622. Don't know what Toshiba does better than the other brands. But it sure works.

SD on my 50 inch plasma Vizio is very good on everything but sports. Basketball on the local chanels is very bad, ESPNU not as bad. When connected to my 32 inch LCD Phillips, everything, including sports, is very good in SD. I cannot see a difference between my 522 and the 622 in SD, except for sports on the larger screen.

I will put my SONY KDFE55A20 up against your Toshiba anyday! With the right PQ settings my SD programming looks almost as good as HD - not quite though. As far as HD goes - flawless..

Jeff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts