How's the PQ on E*'s HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

purtman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Now that Dish has added more HD, how is the picture quality? Also, if you have comparisons between D* and E*, I would love to read some of your comments. Thanks!

Watched the HOF Induction Ceremony on NFLHD, looked very nice and clear.

SN Main Event on Dallas NBC doesn't look near as sharp, and lots of artifacts during motion.

MPEG 4 nationals look good, RSN's like my local CSN-Chicago and FSN-Wisconsin HD look bad too much compression. The MPEG 2 channels left for the love of GOD need to convert NOW!!!

Watching Chivas/Chicago MLS on HDNet tonight was absolutely horrific.

Now that Dish has added more HD, how is the picture quality? Also, if you have comparisons between D* and E*, I would love to read some of your comments. Thanks!

There is not yet any change.

The added channels took the space occupied by the Voom channels.

The MPEG2 HD channels have not yet converted to MPEG4 HD (probably within the next couple of weeks or so).

So, nothing has changed, either for better or worse, in terms of PQ.

which will free up room on 110 for more channels. Please Dish I wish you would only use 4 channels per MPEG 4 transponder.

To "echo" a previous poster, PQ on the HD RSN's is abhorrent. Motion and edge compression artifacts is really compromising the quality of these channels. Faces and details look muddy and pixelated, and any fast action causes the entire picture to macroblock. It's better than SD, but nowhere near the quality of the same channel from, say, umm, cable.

PQ on Lifetime, LMN, ActionMax, and the 4 new Starz HD channels is excellent. Locals HD PQ is very good, but if they are on the 129 bird, you will have breakups periodically.

To "echo" a previous poster, PQ on the HD RSN's is abhorrent. Motion and edge compression artifacts is really compromising the quality of these channels. Faces and details look muddy and pixelated, and any fast action causes the entire picture to macroblock. It's better than SD, but nowhere near the quality of the same channel from, say, umm, cable.

WGN-HD is doing the same thing for Cubs and White Sox games.

I thought I read someplace earlier that these RSN's, in addition to the new HBO HD & other HD channels that were recently added, are sharing bandwidth with as many as seven other channels per transponder now, MORE than the 4 to 6 that were being shared when Voom was still around. I have not yet been home to view these new channels, but I can't believe that there "isn't any change" for better or worse with the picture quality. If anything, it should be worse, but I am definitely interested in hearing others opinions of the PQ of the new premium channels. When you pay that much extra for them, you should get the best quality...I saw StarzHD last year and compared it to D* and Dish's version was terrible - totally washed out and pixelated during certain scenes.

That was when STARZ HD was MPEG 2.

Dish needs to not even go there anymore with 7 channels per TP for RSN's. If they are they better F***ing stop now!!!!!!!! it makes sense that they are tho.

Picture quality on both HD and SD is terrible. Would not recommend to anyone. Stay with what you have now. You'll be better off.

I recently switched from E* to D* and the mpeg4 pq is slightly better on D* than on E* on my 5yo mitsubishi hd tv. I'm sure the pq is even better on a newer plasma or lcd tv.

well my 720p LCD with 120hz and a 6ms refresh rate looks darn good, not excellent but good, but with 1440x1080 it should only be described as "good"

I haven't had the opportunity to compare much to D*, but for movie premiums on E* (I have all 4), I think they look pretty darn good on my 4 year old Sammy 720p DLP, and equally as good on my 1.5 year old 40" Sony 1080p LCD. I was at a friend's house last night who has a 722 hooked up to a 35" Toshiba 4:3 CRT, (he hasnt bought an HDTV yet, but may soon) and I couldnt wait to get home to watch some real HD (albiet HD-Lite).

My point is that perhaps D* (or cable) looks better, but I'm pretty pleased with E*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts