How's your Locals PQ?

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
Portland used to have awesome looking PQ from Dish. Last night was the first time in quite awhile that I turned on my PVR to watch a recorded show and I watched "24" from Fox and "Survivor" from CBS. Both of these channels used to look pristine and last night they were so riddled with compression artifacts that it looked sick even on my 27" TV. No wonder I dropped all but the HD Package, YUCK!! :frowning:

So how's your PQ? Better? Worse? Same? Haven't Noticed? Don't Care?

I was worried about what the picture quality of my locals (Madison) would be but was pleasantly surprised to find them to be about as good as the other channels.

The lone exception was WB. I told Dish about it but so far it hasn't improved any.

Some of it depends on how the signal is delivered to the up-link center. That's why E* can refuse to cary a local channel if it's not grade B or better.

Louisville KY locals ghost pretty bad here. As soon as I get the 811 on Saturday (I hope, no call from the local dealer yet!) I am going to hook my OTA and see how things look.

-Mark

DarrellP said:
I watched "24" from Fox and "Survivor" from CBS. Both of these channels used to look pristine and last night they were so riddled with compression artifacts that it looked sick even on my 27" TV.

I noticed the same thing this week on 24. a lot of the show was very dark so it had a lot of black/gray artifacting/pixelization...and it had a grainy quality to it overall (Almost COAX-like quality...yuck!). That was really the first time i had ever seen it that bad. We also watched survivor but i didn't notice any dramatic problems with it this week.

The Dallas/Ft. Worth locals have improved over the last couple of months. While traveling, I had an opportunity to watch the Shreveport locals and they
are horrible.

My main gripe is the smearing of facial features,
on close-ups, upon movement.

The Denver and West Coast locals are bad most of the time.

I wonder if they tune the quality DOWN when they move channels around to make room for the new HDTV channels on the mains.

The DC locals look fine on my '93 Mitsubishi 27" Tube TV. Really the locals look great.

But on my 42" Panasonic Plasma they look like dull gray crap compared to the OTA channels.

Rolltide
Do you have anything positive to say ever??

Cripes, a question is asked and we are answering. Just because you think your locals look like crap, others may not have that problem. Yours are on Superdish, and if Im not mistaken, SD is conus, so your locals should probably be BETTER than most of ours, since we are on spotbeams

My Minneapolis locals are fine, and I'm using a 32" TV, btw...

sorry for the above rant, but in the last 2 weeks it seems like you have nothing positive to say and every time someone asks a question that "maybe" was asked before, your comment is "use the search feature"..We are all here to help out everyone, and when someone is new, we should help them out just like we would help out someone who has been here for a while.

berg

Iceberg said:
Rolltide
Do you have anything positive to say ever??

Cripes, a question is asked and we are answering. Just because you think your locals look like crap, others may not have that problem. Yours are on Superdish, and if Im not mistaken, SD is conus, so your locals should probably be BETTER than most of ours, since we are on spotbeams

My Minneapolis locals are fine, and I'm using a 32" TV, btw...

sorry for the above rant, but in the last 2 weeks it seems like you have nothing positive to say and every time someone asks a question that "maybe" was asked before, your comment is "use the search feature"..We are all here to help out everyone, and when someone is new, we should help them out just like we would help out someone who has been here for a while.

berg

Shouldn't that have been handled in a pm ? Just telling it like it is. I agree that we should help out others but there is no need to be lazy by not searching for something that has been covered 50 times in the past week .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)