HP id5280n DLP elininates color wheel uses LED's

rockhard

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Great White North
The NEW HP id5280n 52" High Definition DLP HDTV eliminates the bulb and color wheel with LED lighting .
see PDF file attached here -

Attachments

• ds_id5280nHDTVlvh.pdf
    48.5 KB · Views: 456
  • 167_LED_TV_white_paper[1].pdf
    156.3 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
This is CES? Do we ask the price, or just dream?

Where's that 100" plasma?

Actually, this is pretty cool. Especially with my projector lamp costing $500.

Am I missing something? Just changing the light source doesn't eliminate the color wheel. This must be a 3-chip light engine.

Brad

Why is their promotional line telling people that the display is "shimmering" - that's not good to have in a display!

Perhaps it has different colored LEDs instead of a white lamp which needs to be colorized.

gigapower said:
There is probably a red, a green, and a blue LED light in the light engine.

Although this is theoretically possible, you would have to have many, many LED's of each color to give you enough light output to light up a 52" screen. Then, you would have to light, in sequence, the red, blue, and green sets of LED's for EACH frame of video (1/180 sec for each color if the frame rate is 60 fps). All this while pulse-width modulating the micromirrors at 180 hz (times two for wobulation?). Sounds really expensive and complicated to me, but technology is pretty amazing these days.

If anyone knows the real story, or if I'm all wet, I'd love to learn.

Brad

Now the question is how much is unit going to cost to replace that is going to be responsible for lighting up this device? The reason why I have chosen not to buy an HD television is due to the fact that the ones that dont need a bulb replacement have burn in and the ones that do require the bulb replacement are too expensive for the bulb. I'm waiting for no bulb replacement and no burn in at an affordable price.

Bradtothebone said:
Although this is theoretically possible, you would have to have many, many LED's of each color to give you enough light output to light up a 52" screen. Then, you would have to light, in sequence, the red, blue, and green sets of LED's for EACH frame of video (1/180 sec for each color if the frame rate is 60 fps). All this while pulse-width modulating the micromirrors at 180 hz (times two for wobulation?). Sounds really expensive and complicated to me, but technology is pretty amazing these days.

If anyone knows the real story, or if I'm all wet, I'd love to learn.
Brad
Brad, I may not know the real story, but I've been predicting this for at least three-four years. LumiLEDs had research papers on their web site discussing the necessary intensities for each of the three LED colors (red, green, and blue) needed to provide a viewable picture. LEDs are capable of being switched one and off much faster than the micromirrors in the DLP chip, so instead of the current practice of modulating the mirrors for the complete Red, Green, and Blue frame, they can go r1-g1-b1-r2-g2-b2-r4-g4-b4-r8-g8-b8, etc., effectively eliminating the dreaded "rainbow effect".

Thanks for the reply, Roland. Do you by chance have a link to an HP site that goes into more detail on this new technology?

Brad

Nothing beyond the links above at this time. I'll try to look up some stuff when I have some more time. You might be able to search AVS Forums for DLP & LED together.

I've uploaded a PDF file from LumiLEDs dated August 2002. I'm not sure if it is still on their website or not.

Attachments

• LED-DLP_Projectors.pdf
    239.6 KB · Views: 2,172
Last edited:
I finally saw (and read) the "White Paper" link above. I understand now, I think, how it works. Pretty cool! If they can perfect this, it should give SED a run for its money, at least in large screen sizes.

Brad

So are they going to guarantee the 20,000 hours or are we going to start seeing a lot of televisions going out at 10,000 hours or something well below the 20,000 hours and Samsung tell us we are SOL?

I'd buy something like this. If the 20,000 hours is even the top-end and 10-15k hours is more typical, that's better than 8k hours and I would imagine a LED module would be much less expensive than a high-pressure lamp, though the prices on the lamps have come down some in the past two years. Still, eliminating the color wheel would be terrific and if Samsung implemented their iris tech to get the 10,000:1 contrast ratio, I'd most definitely be interested. :)

I don't know that the cost would be much less, since the lamps cost a lot because:

They are low volume
They have camera grade optical mirrors
They have high intensity bulbs (now LEDs)
They have long life bulbs (now LEDs)
They are color calibrated

All those things cost money, money, money, plus a profit for the supplier, the distributor and the retailer.

But with the life many times longer than the current technology, and the likely heat (and fan noise) much lower, it's still a good idea, not to mention no color wheels.

Is this an RGBW technology, or just RGB. Many color wheels are RGBW, with 2 segments of color and 1 of white, for example.

I've not seen the color wheel in my Samsung, but it's a 6-segment wheel. The newer DLPs have 7-segment color wheels to eliminate the "rainbow effect" (which I've never seen anyway), but I don't know what the distribution of colors are on the wheel.

High-intensity LEDs are becoming less expensive, so that would help keep the costs down some. If you buy direct from the company (Samsung), you cut out several slices of the pie and reduce the cost of replacement a little more. So, I would expect a first-generation of this new lighting scheme to be around $200 for a replacement lighting unit...maybe a little more.

But, with the benefits of longer life, less heat and fan noise and no color wheel and instant-on...yep, I'd go for one.

When did that article say they'd hit the market, April 2006? I'll have to go looking around in 2QT and see what one looks like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts