HR10-250 vs HR20-700 picture quality

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr. Fusion

Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Collinsville, OK
I recently added an HDTV to my bedroom and picked up the HR20-700 for it. Is it my imagination, or does the HR10 have better picture quality on the HD channels?

I have not checked the PQ on the same TV, but the TV that my HR20 is hooked up to is a far superior TV and I can see the difference in the TV quality while watching HD-DVD and Bluray movies. I understand that the difference between the OTA broadcasts (which can be stunning) and the HD locals, but even ESPN, HBO, etc. seem to look sharper on the HR10. Anyone else notice this?

Thanks

I have had both units and I can honestly say I dont see much difference if any. I suppose if I had a keen eye like some ;) who notice each and every pixel, I'd see a difference. Sometimes we see what we want to see. :D But oh well.

I cannnot tell a difference either way

I have had both units and I can honestly say I dont see much difference if any. I suppose if I had a keen eye like some ;) who notice each and every pixel, I'd see a difference. Sometimes we see what we want to see. :D But oh well.

My feelings excactly. I think they both have great pictures, and I am still using both.

the TV that my HR20 is hooked up to is a far superior TV

That's your problem. Better TV will show everything, often times making the picture actually look "worse" because you see every little imperfection.

The picture on my 7 year old Toshiba 34" HD CRT often looks better than the one on my brand new Samsung 50" 1080p DLP when comparing the same source material.

It's like a sliding scale... eventually you get to a point where the PQ is good enough that they look the same on both TV's, and then as the source material gets better and better (BD/HD-DVD, etc) you really see the new TV shine...

i had both hooked up the same 32" LCD Samsung and both looked identical for HD material

Both are very close, but I'd give the edge to the HR20 for better PQ. That's based on each box being hooked up to the same TV with the same HDMI cable.

Isn't this kind of a moot point as you can only compare MPREG2 to MPEG2 when viewing channels on HR10-250? HR10 cannot receive/display the new MPEG4 stuff, so you can't really compare the two.

Not really moot b/c will always apply to any OTA channels received and for the time being the MPEG2 HD channels (ESPN, etc). I have noticed artifacts using the HR20 (sparklies) that definitely not present on my HR10-250

Not only that, but my HR20 seems to have a hard time switching channels compared to the HR10-250. This HR20 blinks 2-3 times then the pic comes in. :rolleyes:

Also has anyone experienced blank screen after changing the channel? If I key in a channel number, the pic wont come in unless I go up a channel then back to my desired channel. Whats up with that?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)