HR20 CE Release 4/10 v.02F8

It now makes sense not to have anything but HD DVR's in the home if they can share. You can almost eliminate the need for external hard drives or greatly delay it.

Isn't that the direction DirecTV has said in their STB roadmap on their financial calls?

I can say that this is a great first step. I have tested my HR20-100 and my HR20-700 and have had no problems. HD looks great. I do have a wired Gigabit network thorough the house so I am sure that helps.

Yes, and that is a sticking point with me.
Still pissed that D* decided FOR me that OTA tuners were NOT important to me :mad:
Jimbo, so what's your issue with getting/using an AM21? With this CE cycle the AM21 also works on the H21/H23's.

Jimbo, so what's your issue with getting/using an AM21? With this CE cycle the AM21 also works on the H21/H23's.

The fact that I now need ANOTHER box to add to the scenario just to get what was available a long time ago .....
And it STILL doesn't SCAN for channels.
All because D* is being greeedy

The fact that I now need ANOTHER box to add to the scenario just to get what was available a long time ago .....
And it STILL doesn't SCAN for channels.
All because D* is being greeedy

The HR20's don't scan either;)

With more LIL cities being lit up, and the ATSC channels in those cities being added to LIL coverage the need for ATSC tuners decreases. IMHO it makes sense to not have them in the base box and just have it as an option for folks that want to pay for the extra hardware. Even Dish is going that direction with their new STB's, although they went with an internal module that can be added, which is a nicer way to implement it.

I will some day buy a new TV stand with a glass door to keep a HD DVR behind, so I don't have to try to sleep with the hard drive running.
The ones I have had previously are not very quiet.

I suppose I'll end up spending a couple hundred dollars on a TV stand set up.
A hundred or so, maybe two on a HD DVR. another $ 50 potentially on a AM-21

Maybe I should just stick to a NON DVR in the bedroom, but I figured the DVR has more up side, if I can figure out how to get it quiet.

I will some day buy a new TV stand with a glass door to keep a HD DVR behind, so I don't have to try to sleep with the hard drive running.
The ones I have had previously are not very quiet.

I suppose I'll end up spending a couple hundred dollars on a TV stand set up.
A hundred or so, maybe two on a HD DVR. another $ 50 potentially on a AM-21

Maybe I should just stick to a NON DVR in the bedroom, but I figured the DVR has more up side, if I can figure out how to get it quiet.

I tried my HR20's in the bedroom, the harddrive sounded like a washing machine with all the seeking going on. Since then I've tried HR21/22 and 23's in there and all I hear from them is the cooling fan going at a steady hum. Of course, YMMV and get a HR23 that also sounds like a washing machine.

The HR20's don't scan either;)

With more LIL cities being lit up, and the ATSC channels in those cities being added to LIL coverage the need for ATSC tuners decreases. IMHO it makes sense to not have them in the base box and just have it as an option for folks that want to pay for the extra hardware. Even Dish is going that direction with their new STB's, although they went with an internal module that can be added, which is a nicer way to implement it.

Have you noticed how easy it is to lose your locals during bad weather ?
That is the MOST important time to have them.
With the OTA set up I NEVER lose my locals.

It made more sense to have a .50 OTA tuner in the boxes that they had.
It just burns me that they can just DECIDE that I HAVE to pay them for OTA channels that I already get.

I know they are included now, but not for me, I have a grandfathered package, something else I would lose if I move to the newer packages, a whole other issue. At least they allow you to be grandfathered still.

I tried my HR20's in the bedroom, the harddrive sounded like a washing machine with all the seeking going on. Since then I've tried HR21/22 and 23's in there and all I hear from them is the cooling fan going at a steady hum. Of course, YMMV and get a HR23 that also sounds like a washing machine.

great :(

Anyone notice a $ sign next to a show when viewing the play list from your HR21-700 on the HR20? I noticed that the last "Terminator" show had this $ icon next to it. I did not see it when looking at the list from the HR21, but it did show up on the HR20. I hope this MRV does not become a feature we have to pay for.

Isn't that the direction DirecTV has said in their STB roadmap on their financial calls?

I think short term they are going to move to HD only boxes and then eventually long term HD DVRs only. There's more to a DVR than just the hard drive, but even a 500gb hard drive adds around $100 to the cost of the box, so if they can put one or two DVRs in a house..maybe 1TB drive instead of 500GB, then they can put non-DVR HD boxes in other rooms and using MRV avoid the extra costs. Of course this is derailing the thread and not germane to the current topic so I'll stop now :)

when playing a recording on the HR21 through the HR20, 30 sec skip used a few minutes from the end didnt work correctly.

I would have to say that at first it was slow to bring up the PlayList of the HR21 on the HR20 but by last night it was significantly faster. Very usable IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts