HR20 - HDMI or Componet?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
In my situation, HR20 and a 42" Samsung Plasma, There is zero difference betweem component and HDMI. I would get the Component first, if you are happy fine, if you want to try to improve it then check out monoprice.com. you can get a $5 HDMI cable. For sure DO NOT but the rediculous $100+ HDMI cables from the big guys.

In my situation, HR20 and a 42" Samsung Plasma, There is zero difference betweem component and HDMI. I would get the Component first, if you are happy fine, if you want to try to improve it then check out monoprice.com. you can get a $5 HDMI cable. For sure DO NOT but the rediculous $100+ HDMI cables from the big guys.

I agree. There is very little that is more ridiculous than $100+ for a for an 18 inch HDMI cable. From a curiosity standpoint, it is probably worth getting a monoprice HDMI cable to determine whether or not you can tell the difference on your set.

Jim

i've never seen a difference on ANY broadcast (cable/sat) using HDMI or component. I do see some differences with DVD players.

So I reco to use your HDMI for other components first. If you have one left over for sat, go for it.

I have both connected to my Optoma RD50 DLP 50-inch RPTV. I actually CAN tell a difference between the component and HDMI outputs, although it's very (VERY) small. There's better color saturation, and less "rainbow effect." I can see no difference as far as resolution goes.

I have both connected to my Optoma RD50 DLP 50-inch RPTV. I actually CAN tell a difference between the component and HDMI outputs, although it's very (VERY) small. There's better color saturation, and less "rainbow effect." I can see no difference as far as resolution goes.

Usually this is just because the inputs are not calibrated correctly. Some people see better results on component, but again if you had a complete system calibration you probably would not see any difference.

Only way to know is to try it yourself. Every TV is different and all of our eyes are different. I'd say most people can't tell the difference but it really depends on your TV and what you feel looks better.

But all HDTV and satellite receiver manuals say for the best quality picture use the HDMI output. I wonder why they state that. Maybe the difference can be seen on a scope, but not by the human eye!!

But all HDTV and satellite receiver manuals say for the best quality picture use the HDMI output. I wonder why they state that. Maybe the difference can be seen on a scope, but not by the human eye!!

Generally, it's the analog-vs-digital discussion. There may be some installations where appliances, computers, electrical-fields, or large unshielded-speakers nearby might induce some interference on the component video cables. An HDMI at the same installation would probably be immune, since the D-A conversion is done in the tv.

Generally, it's the analog-vs-digital discussion. There may be some installations where appliances, computers, electrical-fields, or large unshielded-speakers nearby might induce some interference on the component video cables. An HDMI at the same installation would probably be immune, since the D-A conversion is done in the tv.

I think you are correct. I have seen posts where there was obvious induced interference in component cables. But I've also seen post about "sparklies" with HDMI which seem to be induced interference also And HDMI seems to run into problems on long cable runs (needs equalization) before component does.

Personally, I have never seen a difference between using component cables and HDMI.

I think that the broadcasters want you to use HDMI because they can enforce Digital Rights Management (DRM) over HDMI and cannot enforce that over component cables.

Besides, all HDTV's are not compatible with the HDMI standard the H20-100 uses. You get a guaranteed picture using component cables.

Last edited:
where are you guys buying your hdmi cables? i bought a 15 ft cable for 25 bucks based on a recommendations from an avs forum member. i bought a second (6 ft) cable for 17 dollars from the same place. nice thick cables.....not anything junky!!!

where are you guys buying your hdmi cables? i bought a 15 ft cable for 25 bucks based on a recommendations from an avs forum member. i bought a second (6 ft) cable for 17 dollars from the same place. nice thick cables.....not anything junky!!!

The best I have used is www.svideo.com.

Status
Please reply by conversation.