HR20 / HR21 / HR22 / R22 CE Release 8/29 0x0271

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Jimbo, just got back from The UVA - USC game here in Charlottesville...we got a a-- whipping. Those guys are monsters.....downloading CE tonight also!

TV resolution blank

I have my westinghouse 1080p hoked up hdmi to dvi, is this why the 1080p is enable is grayed out?

Trevor

1080p Facts - Home Theater Tip - What You Need to Know About Accessing 1080p Resolution on an HDTV

1080p/60 vs 1080p/24
Access to 1080p is not only determined by whether your HDTV has the ability to access a 1080p signal directly, but also what format of 1080p your HDTV will accept.
Almost all HDTVs that accept a 1080p input signal directly can accept what is known as 1080p/60. 1080p/60 represents a 1080p signal transferred and displayed at a rate of 60 frames-per-second (30 frames displayed twice per second). This is a standard progressive scan 1920x1080 pixel video signal.
However, with the advent of Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD, a new variation of 1080p is being promoted and implemented: 1080p/24. What 1080p/24 represents is the frame rate of standard 35mm film transferred directly in its native 24 frames-per-second from a source (such as a film on a Blu-ray or HD-DVD disc). This means that in order to display this image on an HDTV, the HDTV has to have the ability to display 1080p resolution at 24 frames per second.
Up to this point, most Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD players read the 1080p/24 format information off of the disc and then reprocesses it so that it will be able to output the signal as 1080p/60, thus making it compatible with most 1080p input compatible HDTVs. However, LG (with others to follow) are starting to introduce Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD players that output 1080p/24 off the disc directly and sends that signal unchanged to an HDTV. In this case, if the HDTV cannot process or display the 1080p/24 signal directly, the Blu-ray Disc or HD-DVD player will then reprocess the 1080p/24 signal to 1080i so that the HDTV will recognize the signal. If the HDTV is 1080p/60 capable, the HDTV will reprocess the 1080i signal to 1080p/60 in order to be able to display the image on the screen.

Here's another

HDTV UK: Explained: What does 1080p/24 actually mean?

The easiest way to explain this is by understanding how movies are shot and then adapted to video. Theatrical films are usually shot on 35mm film running a frame rate of 24 frames per second, which means that when they are projected back at the same rate, images appear with natural movement.
In contrast, some media such as NTSC video runs at a rate of 60 frames per second. For consistency, US HDTVs continue to use a 60Hz rate either as interlaced or 60 complete frames if using a television with progressive scan. US broadcasts are still transmitted at 60Hz and early high-definition disc players of both formats output video at the same rate.
Like with movies, video shot specifically at 60Hz and then played back at the same rate appears perfectly natural and accurate – so the key to cohesive movement is that the display playback speed must match the original.
The problem arises when transferring movies shot in 24fps to 60Hz video. Speeding up the picture to match the faster frame rate can cause distracting sound and visual changes, which obviously isn’t the best solution.
To overcome this, a process called ‘3:2 pulldown’ was developed. This takes the original 24fps movie frames and alternates them in a pattern of 2s and 3s – first frame is displayed three times, the second frame twice, the third frame three times and so on. This repetitive sequence basically stretches four movie frames into 10 video frames, allowing the original 24fps content to be played at 60Hz without appearing sped up.
However, the problem with 3:2 pulldown is that it can cause picture judder or jerkiness in the movement. The effect is negligible and most viewers never notice it as it’s usually only slow camera pans that visibly suffer.
So, the only solution for home cinema perfectionists is to restore the video to its original 24Hz playback rate. This would be timely and expensive withstandard-definition content but for high-definition formats like Blu-ray and HD-DVD it’s considerately easier.
This is because most high-definition films are naturally encoded as 1080p/24 video frames and players use their own 3:2 pulldown for their standard 60Hx video output. But now some players also offer a raw 1080p/24 output that ignores 3:2 pulldown and transmits video over HDMI using 24Hz (it’s actually 23.97 but it’s impossible to tell the difference).
For this to work, the signal must be transmitted to a television that can properly synch with the 24Hz frame rate, or convert it to an even multiple such as 42Hz, 72Hz, 96Hz, or 120Hz. Not all televisions are compatible so even if your high-definition player can output 1080p/24, your television might not be able to display the benefits.
And, in most cases, even if you have a television that is compatible with the 1080p/24 signal, the improvement over 1080p/60 is very subtle – so it’s not an essential specification. Also, 1080p/24 only improves content that was originally shot at 24fps and that doesn’t include extras which can look extremely poor if converted – so you may have to change your player back to its standard rate unless it does it automatically.
But, if you’re a perfactionist viewer who demands to see the film as it was originally intended then 1080p/24 should provide generally smoother motion without any audio defects.

Yellow bars disappears on guide when scrolling thru RSN's that have TBA message. Not really a bad thing I guess if it was done on purpose. I don't know if it was or not.

HR20-100

Diagnostic no. 20080831-27E1

Philip 47PFL7422D/37

HDMI audio problem of losing sound on non DD channels seems to be fixed now though.

Downloaded software friday and now I have a recording issue. The prior software download broaded the recording perameters,, which was good but now that feature seems to have disappeared. A sunday recording actually started 1 minute into the program, not cool. The end of the recording was extended 2 minutes tho. I'm not sure if this is a software issue but it's definitely not what I've gotten use to in the last week of recording so I thought I'd at least mention it,,, just in case.

Happy Labor Day!
Robin

HR21-100 with AM21
I'm seeing about a 10ms difference in audio synced with video between SD channels and Mpeg4 HD channels...The HD channels video is about 10ms faster than the SD video compared to their respective audio. So for the audio to be synced, I have to set my audio delay on my AV receiver to 10ms on the HD channels and 20ms on the SD channels.

Channel changes seem more sluggish to me than the last CE. I'm seeing remote command delays of up to 4 seconds sometimes.

Diagnostic Key: 20080802-2FF5
HR21-100
Denon AVR 4308CI
Pioneer 6020FD Plasma

All of my equipment supports both 1080P/24 & 1080P/60.

Last night after performing the CE upgrade I went to the menu and was able to enable 1080P.

Today, I downloaded Bucket List, but it wouldn't display (just black, no audio).

I went back to the setup menu, and disabled 1080P, then attempted to re-enable it, with negative results.

I connected my HR21-100 directly to my set, and was able to get a 1080P picture, with spotty sound.

So my issue appears to be a problem between the Denon & the HR21.

HR20-100 (scrolling effects on or off)

I'm having issues with the interactive guide also. While scrolling, the yellow bar either completely disappears or there will be 2 yellow bars appearing. Never have seen this before.:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Robin

Besides the Denon and scrolling issues I mentioned earlier, I'm seeing more audio/video syncing issues. Rebooted and am experiencing a wide range of offsets....about +/- 40 ms depending on the channel. I don't remember noticing this before this CE.

I got the download and set my HR20-100 to accept 1080p and was able to watch Bucket List. Great picture but there was a clicking sound when my HR20 had the two lights on to signify 1080p. It was coming from the box itself. I still heard it even after I turned my Onkyo receiver off. The clicks went away after native on moved to another format other than 1080p.

Seems I spoke too soon on the audio issues being fixed. I am loosing audio again on non DD channels sporatically. Seems to be better than it was but it is still happening.

I get everything to work but then when I try to play the movie, it just goes black. Everynow and then you will see the image pop up and my tv will say 1080/24 but no audio and just a blank screen. It is from the HR21 to my sony bravia via HDMI. Please someone let me know what is going on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)