HR20 install questions....anyone?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mnassour

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
Folks...I'm about to do an install of the new MPEG 4 system at my house, and would like to do a post install using an old C-band post. Could someone please give me info on the following...

1. With the new dish, does it still use the same 1 3/8" post?

2. I need to buy cable...how deep should it be and I assume the cable needs to be rated for burial?

3. The system will have one HR20, a HR10 and another DirecTV Tivo unit. Do the connectors on ALL cables have to be replaced? For that matter do ALL cables have to be replaced to ensure that they are good to 2 gig, or does this apply only to those going to the HR20? I guess I'm asking if I can get away with existing cables/connectors from the multiswitch to the two older receviers.

4. Four DTV lines need to go to one room. There is a fifth RG6 available for this room. Is there any reason cable TV and over the air UHF (for OTA HDTV) could not be combined in this fifth run?

I've done quite a few of the ku band installs but this is my first ku/ka. Any other pitfalls I should watch out for? I've already viewed the DirecTV install video which emphasizes the need for precise alignment.

Thanks!

1. The AT9 needs a 2 inch post.

2. I'll leave this reply to a pro.

3. Your current RG6 cable/connectors will be fine, so as long as they are in good condition, the external multiswitch needs to be rated for the Ka/Ku frequencies, so older ones will not work, atm, the WB68 is the only switch I know of that is Ka/Ku compat.

4. If the cabletv uses frequencies any OTA signals are on (and vice versa), you may have some interference, otherwise it is possible.

Last edited:
mnassour said:
Folks...I'm about to do an install of the new MPEG 4 system at my house, and would like to do a post install using an old C-band post. Could someone please give me info on the following...

1. With the new dish, does it still use the same 1 3/8" post?

2. I need to buy cable...how deep should it be and I assume the cable needs to be rated for burial?

3. The system will have one HR20, a HR10 and another DirecTV Tivo unit. Do the connectors on ALL cables have to be replaced? For that matter do ALL cables have to be replaced to ensure that they are good to 2 gig, or does this apply only to those going to the HR20? I guess I'm asking if I can get away with existing cables/connectors from the multiswitch to the two older receviers.

4. Four DTV lines need to go to one room. There is a fifth RG6 available for this room. Is there any reason cable TV and over the air UHF (for OTA HDTV) could not be combined in this fifth run?

I've done quite a few of the ku band installs but this is my first ku/ka. Any other pitfalls I should watch out for? I've already viewed the DirecTV install video which emphasizes the need for precise alignment.

Thanks!
1. No , It uses a 2" pole, either put a new pole in or buy the adaptor, (I think Solid signal has them, I have never used it though)
My pole ws not quite 2" it was actually schedule 40 galvinized and measured 1 7/8" when the installer placed the dish, he said "thats not 2 " is it ?" I told him I asked for 2" but thats all the closer they had. I thought it would be ok to use.
We adjusted the dish first and then shot 3 screws into it to hold it in place. works great.

2. YES it needs to be buried cable, I usually bury 6" or so deep, just because I don't want to go any deeper, also at 6" you won't have anyone digging it up (animals) cable TV around here go barley under the sod.

3. I did not replace any of my cables, I used what I had, it was all rg-6..... If you decide to replace the connections, use compression fittings if possible.

4. You can do that provided it is not hooked to the D* system , or added after any multi switch you may have..

Make absolutly positive that the mast is dead on plumb, or pole, whichever you are using.

Jimbo

Also have a install Question

Can Anyone tell me more about the FTM? I will need one to keep my OTA line which I want also. Does DTV install for free and what about the software update that the manual says you will may also need?
Thanks

Many thanks, folks. I appreciate it. You saved me a lot of grief! ;)

#2 On mine I went 6" - 8" but laid pipe in the ground and fed may cable through it. Never have to redig to add or anything. I still used the burial rated cable. I stole this method from how the guys ran my BUD cables back in the early 90's.

charper1 said:
#2 On mine I went 6" - 8" but laid pipe in the ground and fed may cable through it. Never have to redig to add or anything. I still used the burial rated cable. I stole this method from how the guys ran my BUD cables back in the early 90's.
That is a really good idea !!!
My BUD system was buried, but not in conduit, you must have paid extra for that !!
Just make sure both ends are sealed, so you don't have water getting into it and sitting in the low spots and corroding your cable.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)