HR20 & Internet

Status
Please reply by conversation.

riggscm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
So I was looking at the setup and info screen of my HR20, which currently has software ver. 120 if memory serves.

As I was reviewing the screens I saw the newly added Network section that I believe was added in the update prior to 120. Any way, I noticed a yellow alert icon next to Internet.

I know its there because I do not currently have the HR20 hooked up to my router but I was wondering what purpose it would serve to give the HR20 internet access.

Any thoughts or insight would be helpful... thanks

So I was looking at the setup and info screen of my HR20, which currently has software ver. 120 if memory serves.

As I was reviewing the screens I saw the newly added Network section that I believe was added in the update prior to 120. Any way, I noticed a yellow alert icon next to Internet.

I know its there because I do not currently have the HR20 hooked up to my router but I was wondering what purpose it would serve to give the HR20 internet access.

Any thoughts or insight would be helpful... thanks

Right not the HR20 doesn't do anything on the internet. What you can do is if you have an Intel ViiV system you can watch JPEG's or play MP3's from your home system through the HR20. If you go to http://forums.directv.com/pe/register/include/processlogin.jsp?uri=/pe/index.jsp and then select the HR20 section on the far right side of the page there are the instructions on how so set that up.

If you don't have ViiV system there are other ways to do it, using Windows Media Player V11 or 3rd party software, you might want to look over at www.dbstalk.com's HR20 section for info on that setup.

The jack is also for the upcoming "DIRECTV on Demand" service that DIRECTV is planing.

Nutshell, download content from a online movie library using your broadband connection.

Works with windows XP and WMP11. This is a pretty slick feature. If they get video working (HD video) it will be incredible.

Works with windows XP and WMP11. This is a pretty slick feature. If they get video working (HD video) it will be incredible.

We agree! ;)

This will be awesome once video streaming is working. I can then watch all the shows I download via the Democracy/Miro player on my TV.

It sees my infrant server as well and goes through the directories but I have no music on it. Slideshow doesnt work for me but pictures do.

Are you saying I can hook my IPOD up thru the HR20 to play music?

No, those files are DRM'd and thus cannot be streamed by something other then ITunes or other "apple DRM" compliant software. You can stream any non-DRMd MP3s though. So you could take any music you purchased in ITunes and rip them to MP3s to another folder and then you could stream them thru the HR20.

I do wireless. As long as you get at least 20 mbps, its flawless. Done this via laptop and Xbox 360. If you have the right wireless setup, no worries.

I'm going wired myself. Just ordered an 8 port switch and some cables from New Egg. I'll just drill a hole in the floor of my computer room to the basement and run a cable down there and route it to my media "closet" where I'll put the switch and wire up the HR20 and anything else that might come along in the future.

The key is, if you can do wired, then do it. Wireless should only be used when you need mobility and its to far to effective or easily wire something. My HR20's are wired too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)