HR20 or HR23?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

grampi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Ohio
I know the 20 is OTA capable whereas the 23 is not, but does the 23 have any superior capabilities over the 20 such as better features, better picture quality, etc. If it did I could always purchase an AM21 to do handle the OTA thing. There are still some 20s available for purchase at various places on the internet. Isn't the 23 the receiver D* sends you now when you purchase an upgrade receiver?

The HR23 has a 500GB harddrive, the biggest that D* has in a HD DVR at this time. If you check the First Look thread over at DBSTalk the folks that wrote that up says the HR23 appears to have a better picture and sound. The HR23 doesn't have any 'extra' features that the other HD DVR's. As for getting a HR23 it's a crap shoot, D* doesn't guarentee what STB you'll get when you order one, it could be a new HR23 or a refurb HR20. Only way to make sure is go with a local dealer or purchase one at a store if you can find it.

The HR23 has a 500GB harddrive, the biggest that D* has in a HD DVR at this time. If you check the First Look thread over at DBSTalk the folks that wrote that up says the HR23 appears to have a better picture and sound. The HR23 doesn't have any 'extra' features that the other HD DVR's. As for getting a HR23 it's a crap shoot, D* doesn't guarentee what STB you'll get when you order one, it could be a new HR23 or a refurb HR20. Only way to make sure is go with a local dealer or purchase one at a store if you can find it.

So if I buy one from a local D* retailer, will it be the same price as if I purchased it from D*s web site ($199)?

So if I buy one from a local D* retailer, will it be the same price as if I purchased it from D*s web site ($199)?
Yep, $199 unless you check out Costco which members there have reported HD DVR's for $20 to $40 less.

Yep, $199 unless you check out Costco which members there have reported HD DVR's for $20 to $40 less.

Wal-Mart is also a D* retailer. One would think they might be a bit cheaper as well?

Also, do they setup your D* account when you purchse the receiver, you know schedule someone to come to your house and install the dish, and get you setup with so you be receving HD service?

From time to time my local Costco has a DirecTV sales rep but that's about once every month or so. On a typical day you just go in and pick up the unit, pay for it, and walk out the door. In my mind Costco really isn't in the business of fronting for new DirecTV accounts but maybe you'd want to talk to the service desk. My bet is that all you'd get is the DirecTV toll free number. Can't speak for Wal-Mart as I've never seen a DirecTV setup there but, on the other hand, I've never looked for one.

From time to time my local Costco has a DirecTV sales rep but that's about once every month or so. On a typical day you just go in and pick up the unit, pay for it, and walk out the door. In my mind Costco really isn't in the business of fronting for new DirecTV accounts but maybe you'd want to talk to the service desk. My bet is that all you'd get is the DirecTV toll free number. Can't speak for Wal-Mart as I've never seen a DirecTV setup there but, on the other hand, I've never looked for one.

Something else, since these places are listed as authorized D* retailers, does that mean if something goes wrong with the receiver D* will replace it at no charge?

D* will replace the unit with a replacement (shipping) charge which falls below 29.99. You can opt for the warranty coverage of $5/mo. which they waive the replacement (shipping) charge, plus provide on site support for certain issues.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts