What happened to being the HD leader?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think D*'s new "alleged" strategy of negotiating like Dish is BS, but I guess Malone is known for that.

We'll prob start losing channels soon too. Go post this at DBS and see how long it stays up :)

On FIOS, I dont think cable and sat take them seriously yet because they only are offered to a fraction of the country. If I had FIOS in my area and they had a better dvr, Id switch in a minute.

John Malone. That is what has happened. He has shown no desire to keep D* atop the heap. Love him or hate him, Murdoch was much more aggressive about beating E* than Malone is. Malone is more concerned about the bottom line than being the best. I'm afraid it won't get any better until if/when Malone sells D* to AT&T or somebody else.

For me this is an apples and oranges comparison. First of all DirecTV services the entire country and the cable/FIOS providers are local franchises. You can compare for your own area, but that isn't necessarily true for all. In my area, FIOS isn't available and TWC is a joke.

This sucks. I signed up for two years with 2 HD DVRS based on all of the propoganda and now channels expansion has hit a brick wall. FIOS is available to me but I'm screwed. I would like to see FIOS with a better DVR too before I sign up.

This sucks. I signed up for two years with 2 HD DVRS based on all of the propoganda and now channels expansion has hit a brick wall. FIOS is available to me but I'm screwed. I would like to see FIOS with a better DVR too before I sign up.

we're in the same boat. i signed with D after that awesome wave of HD additions. not much has happened since. but, I'm happy with D* and Fios is no where close to my area anytime soon;)

Is the FIOS available to you via a cable company, phone company such as AT&T, or Verizon?

In my area, we have the choice of AT&T or Time Warner. Both of them are jokes compared to D*. I wish I was in a Verizon area so that I could switch to their FIOS service ... but being in an AT&T area, that will never happen. Verizon is the only one that offers true FIOS service, FTTP or FIOS To The Premises. FTTN, To The Node, is not the same as it is then channeled down to copper.

Is the FIOS available to you via a cable company, phone company such as AT&T, or Verizon?

In my area, we have the choice of AT&T or Time Warner. Both of them are jokes compared to D*. I wish I was in a Verizon area so that I could switch to their FIOS service ... but being in an AT&T area, that will never happen. Verizon is the only one that offers true FIOS service, FTTP or FIOS To The Premises. FTTN, To The Node, is not the same as it is then channeled down to copper.

Fios is a service of Verizon only. AT&T has Uverse, and cable companies are something else. Generally speaking when someone says FIOS on here, they mean Verizon, they dont consider the others the same

Fios is a service of Verizon only. AT&T has Uverse, and cable companies are something else. Generally speaking when someone says FIOS on here, they mean Verizon, they dont consider the others the same

OK, I'll buy that. Although AT&T and TW Cable both claim that they provide FIOS service, just not mentioning that it is only to the node.

OK, I'll buy that. Although AT&T and TW Cable both claim that they provide FIOS service, just not mentioning that it is only to the node.

The ad's that I've seen say fiber, not FIOS. But as you said it's only to the node's in their networks, not to the home.

The ad's that I've seen say fiber, not FIOS. But as you said it's only to the node's in their networks, not to the home.

FIOS and fiber are the same thing though. Verizon does not hold a lock on the term FIOS which just stands for Fiber Optic Service.

FIOS and fiber are the same thing though. Verizon does not hold a lock on the term FIOS which just stands for Fiber Optic Service.

I did a search at the US Trademark office and Verizon DOES have a trademark on FIOS. And if you mention FIOS 99.99% of the people are going to understand that it's the Verizon FIOS product that's being discussed, not any fiber optic system.

I did a search at the US Trademark office and Verizon DOES have a trademark on FIOS. And if you mention FIOS 99.99% of the people are going to understand that it's the Verizon FIOS product that's being discussed, not any fiber optic system.

yeah that's the way I've always understood it too. Fios is the name of the product offered by verizon that uses a fiber optic system. just like when you hear UVerse most know it's a product from AT&T

Im actually very happy with Directv, I cut it on and it works and looks good. I just wish theyd use some of the space they have an add some more channels.

I also wish theyd offer some new packages, preferably HD only.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)