Status
Please reply by conversation.

hancox

Pub Member / UConnaholic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 23, 2003
Monroe, CT
0X104 now being rolled out to west coast markets. This enables the long-awaited ota tuners on the HR20!

Details forthcoming..

ABount dang time.

I hear you can only record 2 shows at once instead of 3.

This is disapointing news, yet good news that OTA will be working finally.

ABount dang time.

I hear you can only record 2 shows at once instead of 3.

This is disapointing news, yet good news that OTA will be working finally.

That would be correct... The stated "3 records" in the manual, is in correct.
A total "NET" of two records

Can't wait to see feed back on this, I am sure those that use OTA will be happy to see this thread, it has been a long enough wait.

OTA is crucial to anyone wanting this thing. It will ALWAYS look better than satellite mpeg4 or not and there are many times when weather takes satellite signals OUT but not OTA.

OTA is crucial to anyone wanting this thing. It will ALWAYS look better than satellite mpeg4 or not and there are many times when weather takes satellite signals OUT but not OTA.

Not to mention:
- Some people will be able to potentially pull in TWO other DMA's off-air & have it all seemlessly intagrated within the satellite guide ;)
- Some markets, even in the future may NEVER get MPEG4 locals, or it will be a LONG time before they do

I get Boston HD LIL over sat but live in market that gets PBS and CW that carries UConn games so I desperately need the OTA solution. And since the OTA chips on the HD Tivos are pretty lame, it dont get those channels very easily. My Windows Media Center tuner card gets them but I really wanted a more stable DVR solution so OTA is a must in the HR20. I want to take advantage of that 5th generation chip.

I get Boston HD LIL over sat but live in market that gets PBS and CW that carries UConn games so I desperately need the OTA solution. And since the OTA chips on the HD Tivos are pretty lame, it dont get those channels very easily. My Windows Media Center tuner card gets them but I really wanted a more stable DVR solution so OTA is a must in the HR20. I want to take advantage of that 5th generation chip.

You are assuming that the ota tuner has an LG 5th generation chipset in it. The box isn't made by LG, so who knows who makes the tuner.

It's A Nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Can't wait til I get home tonight to see if my unit has the new 0X104

How can I find an antenna that can get me local channels? I did get the new software update on my HR20 and would like to try to receive my locals via an OTA. My zip code is 92127. Will I need an antenna on the outside of my house or just in the back of my box?

Thanks . . .

Will new units being sold now automatically have the software load enabling the OTA tuner, or will you still have to wait for your area's download? I am in Raleigh and holding on a purchase decision until I know I can get the OTA.

How can I find an antenna that can get me local channels? I did get the new software update on my HR20 and would like to try to receive my locals via an OTA. My zip code is 92127. Will I need an antenna on the outside of my house or just in the back of my box?

Thanks . . .
Many people try the CM 4228 in their attics with success. If not then put it outside.

Many people try the CM 4228 in their attics with success. If not then put it outside.

I have exactly that setup, and it suits my OTA needs (albeit limited due to distance and topography) just fine. Get a 7777 with it.

It's definitely not crucial to persons-like myself-who can tune in exactly 1 ota HD channel. (Large hill between me & the other towers)

Off-topic, but more crucial to me would be for D* to get the last network (ABC) in HD locally; then I could dump my damn cabelco.

Thanks . . .

If I go to antennaweb and put in your zip code it shows you are in a difficult reception area. You will almost certainly need something like a CM4228 mounted outside to get stable reception on your digitals. The problem is that there seems to be a 60 degree spread in the direction of your local stations and the CM4228 will probably not handle this without a rotor.
Because your reception problems will be terrain-based and not distance, you may be very lucky and be in a "sweet spot" for reception, and get decent reception with a CM4221, this has less gain than the CM4228 (the CM4228 looks like two CM4221s) but has a very wide beamwidth and so you may be able to point it so it gets your stations without a rotor. It might be worth a try.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)