Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gant

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 30, 2007
Planet Earth
I'm sure this has already been asked but I couldn't find it when I searched. I have an HR20 and am trying to use my OTA tuner for local digital & HD channels that D* doesn't provide.

The signal strength of the channels is very weak or non-existent, however when I plug the same antenna cable directly into my TV or into a digital converter on another tv, the same channels are all clear and strong.

Is the HR20 just not good with processing OTA signals or do I need to replace the receiver?

The HR20 is an older tuner design and is not as good at getting decent signals as most tuners in TV sets, and certainly not as good as the digital converter boxes which while they are inexpensive have the latest tuner chips. Add to that the fact that the HR20 has an internal splitter so it can drive the two OTA tuners, and the result is often poor performance with weak signals. However with decent signals the HR20 performs well, I have two HR20s and I am 40+ miles from the DFW antenna "farm" and get great reception. However if you are in a fringe area, and don't have a decent antenna (plus a preamp in many locations) you may get poor results.

I have 4 HR20s and have no OTA issues with any of them. It could be that you have a border-line signal and the TV does do a better job in that case. But if you have a decent signal, you should have no issues.

My TVs shows 48-77 on most all channels while the HR20s run between 58-90. Seems they do better than my 2 TVs. I guess YMMV. I do have a preamp installed on my outdoor antenna.

Thanks for all of the replies. Doesn't sound like there's a consensus, so I'll give D* a call tomorrow and see if they'll replace my leased HR20. Mine is over 2 years old, so perhaps newer HD DVR's process the OTA signals better.

My other alternative is adding a Motorola signal booster to my Channel Master 4221 to see if that helps.

Newer HD DVRs don't have OTA tuners at all, only the HR20. The HR21/22/23 can use an add-on OTA tuner, the AM21, which has a much newer OTA chipset and therefore a better performance. It costs around $50.
But DirecTV in general won't replace an HR20 just because you think the off-air performance is poor, only if it is not working at all. You need to improve the signal strength from your antenna. The CM4221 might be marginal in your location, or you might need a preamp (better than a signal booster). Or if you are using a splitter to drive multiple tuners, use a distribution amplifier instead.
What's your zip code, by the way?

Don't forget, you may have to enter an additional zip code for the OTA tuner to check for the desired channel.
Put a zip code in that's in the channel broadcast area.

"HR20 just not good with processing OTA signals" - that one is the answer.

From what i've heard from people smarter then me.
Mine is just as strong through my HR20 OTA tuner as is it through my TV OTA tuner.

I would imagine it would depend on the age of the TV and the OTA tuner in the TV. My TV is the same age as my HR20. A newer TV may have a much better OTA tuner.
I would also imagine that it depends on where you live, what frequency the channels are broadcast on, how far from the source you are located, what type of antenna you are using, and how clear of a view you have to the source. I have a clear shot at Mt. Wilson so even if my HR20 is not as good at processing OTA signals as my TV itself, I cannot tell the difference.

Last edited:
I would think the AM21 would be the best since it is newer. It could be the location of the different boxes. Do you have all of them hooked to the same antenna?

I would think the AM21 would be the best since it is newer. It could be the location of the different boxes. Do you have all of them hooked to the same antenna?

I no longer have the H20-600 but I've used the same antenna, cables, connectors, signal boosters, etc for all 3. I remember the signal % I got/get with the old and current boxes on my OTA channels, especially the ones I have had trouble with.

My local PBS HD is the channel I have the most trouble with. My NBC and PBS are on the same tower which is further away and in the opposite direction from my other HD locals. But the NBC is transmitting at a higher wattage than the PBS so I get the NBC fine with all 3 boxes. But during the summer I have trouble getting my PBS with both my HR20-700 and AM21 although the AM21 has less trouble. However, the H20-600 never had any trouble getting PBS no matter what time of year.

The H20-600 has a generation 5 tuner in it. But the box runs hot for a lot of people and it often over heated (fwiw it never did for me since it was in an open area). However, the H20-100 was made with a lesser OTA tuner (maybe 4th generation) and it ran cooler so D* has less trouble with it.

In the near future I will be getting a new antenna. My local Fox is going back to their original high VHF channel 8 about a month after the digital transition. So my UHF only antenna won't be able to pick it up. I will be getting a high VHF/UHF antenna. Probably the 4228 HD from Channel Master.

I've had 3 different OTA tuners from D* and the HR20-700 has the worse tuner.

In order:

H20-600 (far better than the other two)
AM21
HR20-700

Yes, the H20-600 had a very good OTA tuner, but was prone to running hot and they have been replacing them as they fail..

I thought, (and could be wrong) the Channel Master 4228 was UHF only ???

The original 4228 was intended to be UHF only but people found out this:

Channel Master 4228

This antenna is advertised solely as a UHF antenna. But, as many people have discovered, it has strong gain for VHF-high, especially channel 9-13. What gives it this ability is the continuous screen. Other 8-bays have a reflector that is not continuous across the right and left halves. Those antennas have little usefulness for VHF channels.

The newer version of the 4228, the 4228 HD which I'm interested in is a high VHF/UHF antenna.

Channel Master by PCT - Manufacturer of Structured Wiring and Terrestrial / TV Antennas Products

Reception Range
Channels 7 thru 13, & HD Up to 45 miles
Channels 14 thru 69, & HD Up to 60 miles

Is the NEW one the same antenna in a New HD Box ? :D

Well they do look different and are different sizes

Size: 6.5 x 39.5 x 36 (L x W x H)

4228_zoom.gif

4228 HD

Size: 5.5 x 41 x 33 (L x W x H)

4228HD_zoom.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)