HR20 ota tuner

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jwhite6069

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Cave City, Ky
Has directv ever activated the ota turners on the HR20s yet? Right now that is the only thing keeping me from buying one. I use the tuner on my H20-100 to get locals from three surrounding markets. I live in a crappy little market that directv does not have locals for and probably never will. My market Bowling Green KY is the most pitiful market in the country. Until few years ago we were in the Nashville, TN market. But the local broadcasters, only 2 channels, wanted to force themselves on us.

Sorry for my little rant, I got carried away.

Josh

Has directv ever activated the ota turners on the HR20s yet? Right now that is the only thing keeping me from buying one. I use the tuner on my H20-100 to get locals from three surrounding markets. I live in a crappy little market that directv does not have locals for and probably never will. My market Bowling Green KY is the most pitiful market in the country. Until few years ago we were in the Nashville, TN market. But the local broadcasters, only 2 channels, wanted to force themselves on us.

Josh

Actually you do have some eligibility for distant networks. Check this link:
http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/Results.aspx

No, the OTA tuner is NOT turned on yet.
There is speculation that it will be soon, somewhere it was mentioned Dec 1st also have heard Dec 15th and D* will tell you , By the end of '06.
So hopefully it will happen real soon :)

Jimbo

This Friday December 1, 2006 OTA should be enabled via update.

Josh

Customer service has said that OTA for HR20 will be activated December 1, 2006, this coming Friday. Let's hope it's on schedule.

Customer service has said that OTA for HR20 will be activated December 1, 2006, this coming Friday. Let's hope it's on schedule.

Has anybody seen this in writing yet? Maybe a D* press release?

If not, then the rumor mill may be setting-up for another furious bitch session on Friday afternoon. D* generally follows-through on-time regarding their confirmed announcements; rumors-accepted-as-fact just piss people off... rumors are not promises.

Has anybody seen this in writing yet? Maybe a D* press release?

If not, then the rumor mill may be setting-up for another furious bitch session on Friday afternoon. D* generally follows-through on-time regarding their confirmed announcements; rumors-accepted-as-fact just piss people off... rumors are not promises.

I have not seen anything in print yet...
I would not expect to see anything in print until the day it happens or shortly after, if then.

Jimbo

I have not seen anything in print yet...
I would not expect to see anything in print until the day it happens or shortly after, if then.

Jimbo

Yesterday I had to call to get my billing fixed, and asked about OTA again. This particular CSR would only say "... they just had 2 updates last week I doubt that there will be any more this year."

Every other CSR or advanced tech rep has said "sometime in December".

I'd love for it to happen on Friday, but I'll believe it when it happens.

You left a key part of that out.

I did confirm, that is what the CSRs where told.
However, I have not confirmed if what they where told was correct or not.

Apologies, I must have missed that part while trying to sift the crap from the crops. There's a lot of irrelevant arm-waving in those threads.

WOW! Just can't believe how the "HD Leader" has handled their best customers. I have both D* and E* HD and would have upgraded (don't know if that is the correct word) to their new DVR if the Slimline dish had been available. I am an early adapter and have also thought about putting the balance of my D* receivers on E-bay having good luck selling three of my backup units last week. Never would have thought DISH would have been "My HD Leader" for so long with 30 HD channels and all my OTA Locals. I really like my VIP 622 DVR better than my HR10-250 except for only having one OTA turner. I am sure pleased that I added DISH to my system, but thought it would be short lived. DirecTV really has screwed over those that have invested in HD even if they do add 40 HD channels this next Summer and have a good working HD DVR by then. Looks to be a long Winter for D* only customers.

Apologies, I must have missed that part while trying to sift the crap from the crops. There's a lot of irrelevant arm-waving in those threads.

That post plus your avatar...
rofl.gif

WOW! Just can't believe how the "HD Leader" has handled their best customers. I have both D* and E* HD and would have upgraded (don't know if that is the correct word) to their new DVR if the Slimline dish had been available. I am an early adapter and have also thought about putting the balance of my D* receivers on E-bay having good luck selling three of my backup units last week. Never would have thought DISH would have been "My HD Leader" for so long with 30 HD channels and all my OTA Locals. I really like my VIP 622 DVR better than my HR10-250 except for only having one OTA turner. I am sure pleased that I added DISH to my system, but thought it would be short lived. DirecTV really has screwed over those that have invested in HD even if they do add 40 HD channels this next Summer and have a good working HD DVR by then. Looks to be a long Winter for D* only customers.

D* no longer boast that they are the HD leader, however, they could boast that they are the HD SPORTS leader.
Slimline is reported as being available now.
Your 622 is years newer than the HR10-250 your using, hardly a comparision.
I would rather have HD programming thatI actually want to see, vs large quantity of channels (DISH) that I really would not watch much of anyways.
Once the 2 sats get up in the air and operational, '07 D* will be adding HD content.
Curious, What is DISH doing to add HD in the next year or so ? They too will be short on bandwidth sometime soon.
About that time DISH will increase thier talks about merging with D* so they don't have to build thier own .

Jimbo

D* no longer boast that they are the HD leader, however, they could boast that they are the HD SPORTS leader.
Slimline is reported as being available now.
Your 622 is years newer than the HR10-250 your using, hardly a comparision.
I would rather have HD programming thatI actually want to see, vs large quantity of channels (DISH) that I really would not watch much of anyways.
Once the 2 sats get up in the air and operational, '07 D* will be adding HD content.
Curious, What is DISH doing to add HD in the next year or so ? They too will be short on bandwidth sometime soon.
About that time DISH will increase thier talks about merging with D* so they don't have to build thier own .

Jimbo

I guess they don't advertise having 1080i either?

Not trying to start anything but why would I want to up-grade to a DVR with no OTA?

Why would I want to wait till next Summer to enjoy my investment in HD?

I am just surprised having both D* & E* that DISH has just done a better job with HD and their DVRs thus far. I hope you are correct and that D* will improve since I send them a check each month too. However I sure will enjoy (Family & Friends too) my programing from DISH this Winter more than anything I presently receive from Directv!

I guess they don't advertise having 1080i either?

Not trying to start anything but why would I want to up-grade to a DVR with no OTA?

Why would I want to wait till next Summer to enjoy my investment in HD?

I am just surprised having both D* & E* that DISH has just done a better job with HD and their DVRs thus far. I hope you are correct and that D* will improve since I send them a check each month too. However I sure will enjoy (Family & Friends too) my programing from DISH this Winter more than anything I presently receive from Directv!

The OTA tuner MAY be activated on Friday, or maybe not... I upgraded to the HR20-700 for the ability to have a HD DVR, I could have got the HR10-50 but wanted to progress in technology, knowing that the MPEG4 is the way everything is leaning.
I record stuff on D* as well as OTA,,I just cn't use the HR20-700 for the OTA yet, but I do use it for sat recordings (sd and HD).

The only reason DISH has the amount of HD channels currently is that they bought up the dieing VOOM channels and the SAT that they were on, otherwise DISH would not be as far as D* is currently, people keep forgetting this, DISH did nothing to get sats built and when the current sat gets filled up, it will happen quickly, just look at D*'s sats.

DISH really has not done much as far as looking to the future as far as adding sats.

I perfer the SPORTS in HD over anything else, so that is why I an content for the moment with D*, although they could do more and will when the bandwidth issues are fixed.

Just wanted to let you know some addl. info.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts